Turbo back... FInally!!! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
TSLMember

Turbo back... FInally!!!

Stainless Steel SAAB Sport Exhaust- $340
Stainless Steel 2.5" high flow magnaflow cat with mirror finish- $74
Stainless Steel 2.5" flex pipe- $40
Stainless Steel custom made exhaust flange- $20 gift certificate to local restaurant
Stainless Steel 2.5" custom exhaust system from the turbo to the SAAbsport- $225

Sound that my 100% stainless steel exhaust system makes when it unleashes 15 psi of boost.....

Priceless

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

dude wha tdoes your exhaust sound like????

at idle mine sounds like this
blub blub blub wroooommmmmmmm brooomommmoo exhaust cough.....

thats what mine sound slike

i should have my exhaust complete by early next week
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-17-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
TSLMember

Very deep tone. The performance gains are much more that i expected. My tires used to handle all the power my auto threw at it... not anymore!!

Old 02-18-2005, 05:26 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
You guys and your autos....

I'd be so worried....
although, I had a boosted '89 9000Ti auto and it was pretty good handling the boost and hard-shifts.. It had nowhere near what you guys do... why wouldn't you worry?

Ps.... good job with the exhaust.
I'm awaiting my taxes....

I picked up a re-con'd super-aero today...25% done!
Old 02-18-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
TSLMember

BTW, the custom work is ALL tig welds and mandrel bends!
See us autos have more of a surprise since "autos are slow"
Old 02-18-2005, 07:56 PM   #6
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalker
BTW, the custom work is ALL tig welds and mandrel bends!
See us autos have more of a surprise since "autos are slow"
I never understood people who modify auto's.... Sure, if it has a "racing" auto tranny, maybe.... but they're boring, less durable in most cases, and you don't have that control over the car like you do with a manual.... I don't know.... I hate auto's..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:02 PM   #7

i have actually heard otherwise zack.... i read somewhere that the auto has more potential in our cars than the stick

also u say autos are no good for racing... explain to me y my friends supra ran a mid 11 with a 5 spd and then ran a 10.51 with a 3 spd turbo 350 trans.... not a racing trans by any means
BORING????? whats boring about sitting in traffic and not having to shift up and down shift every two seconds????

Modifying autos is the same as modding any other car....... i can almost guarantee there are more modded automatic muscle cars out there than there are stick...
Old 02-18-2005, 11:05 PM   #8
User
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricot83
i have actually heard otherwise zack.... i read somewhere that the auto has more potential in our cars than the stick

also u say autos are no good for racing... explain to me y my friends supra ran a mid 11 with a 5 spd and then ran a 10.51 with a 3 spd turbo 350 trans.... not a racing trans by any means
BORING????? whats boring about sitting in traffic and not having to shift up and down shift every two seconds????

Modifying autos is the same as modding any other car....... i can almost guarantee there are more modded automatic muscle cars out there than there are stick...
I said stock auto tranny's arent good for racing... Drag cars with race specific auto tranny's are much different than a regular auto tranny.... 9000 Auto trannys blow..... c900 auto tranny's suck as well... then again you could say about the same for the manual, but the auto's are worse... Hell, my friend took a 9-5 out for a test drive and blew the auto tranny.... not romping either. I will take stick anyday thank you.... not to mention the older c900's with auto trannys are horrible on the interstate for gas mileage.... it revs like crazy if you go over 60 mph.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:14 PM   #9
SAAB Road Master

not that it means much for saabs, but just about stock auto trannies in general....it is true that most muscle cars have auto, but sometimes the stock is good enough... cars like gm's f-body (camaros/ trans am) are quicker with the auto trans(stock) than the manual
Old 02-18-2005, 11:18 PM   #10
User
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by citronxbeige
not that it means much for saabs, but just about stock auto trannies in general....it is true that most muscle cars have auto, but sometimes the stock is good enough... cars like gm's f-body (camaros/ trans am) are quicker with the auto trans(stock) than the manual
Yeah, but I'm talking Saab's.... not muscle cars... Admit it... One of Saab's weakest spots were tranny's.... And most of the auto's saab had were simply trash. Maybe some of you have had luck with them, but I'll tell you what, I have a 1989 900T that's currently an Auto, and before I crashed it, it was the most boring thing to drive.... I can't stand not shifting, and the noise the engine makes on the interstate is horrible.... it sounds like I'm doing 130 mph when I'm only going 65.....

Old 02-19-2005, 08:23 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
I have a 5sp and would wish for no other. But one of the great things about autos are that they dont loose boost during shifts which makes them much more able to hold power down low on the rev range.

Back to the topic....I cant wait till I have turbo back, well all I need is a dp.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:58 AM   #12
Administrator
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Boxerchip
While yes an auto may be faster what you really need to do is take a look down your shorts and tell me what you see.... ahhh yes thats right well maybe you should be in an auto. lol just kiding.

Anyway yeah auto may be faster on the track but if your doing something like racing or driving around a corner and you let off the gas at all you have no control of gears or anything and your boost goes away etc... its a CRAP idea.... if you want the best get tiptronic you get the fast shifting of auto but the control of manual... you still lose some of the control of the clutch but its a loss thats worth it if your only concerned about speed.

As far as manual goes I will always own one and I think every car lover should... automatic is just totally 100% worthless.
2000 9-3-Sold
1992 900S- Sold
Old 02-19-2005, 10:00 AM   #13
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Boxerchip
Speaking of that I was racing an automatic BMW with a new exhaust and intake (540) the guy floors it but the car stays in the same gear so he looks like hes not even trying to race for like 10 seconds till his car decides to change gears and by that time I was so far ahead his auto could not even hit that speed LMFAO.
2000 9-3-Sold
1992 900S- Sold
Old 02-19-2005, 10:26 AM   #14

its funny u say tiptronic... because our saabs have what is called a 4th gear lock out and 3rd gear lock out.... also if u r in a corner in a 5 spd and u let off the throttle u also have no boost..... many jeep guys with autos tap into the transmission control unit and put in switches to create gear lockouts which basically keeps the transmission from shifting up or down when needed...

I also dont find your comment about whats between our legs to b funny at all.... joke or not...
Old 02-19-2005, 10:31 AM   #15

for the record if i had a choice i would have gotten a stick car and it would b the exact same thing i am driving right now.... if i had a choice
I bought the car entirely on my own and everything so i make do with what i have... if i could now.. i would build a bulletproof auto with manual valve bodies.... JUST BECAUSE IT WOULD B AUTO.........
Old 02-19-2005, 10:45 AM   #16
User
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricot83
its funny u say tiptronic... because our saabs have what is called a 4th gear lock out and 3rd gear lock out.... also if u r in a corner in a 5 spd and u let off the throttle u also have no boost..... many jeep guys with autos tap into the transmission control unit and put in switches to create gear lockouts which basically keeps the transmission from shifting up or down when needed...

I also dont find your comment about whats between our legs to b funny at all.... joke or not...
suit yourself...

Old 02-19-2005, 10:48 AM   #17

I have an auto and let me tell you using the gears is easy. You can down shift and everything. Just take it out of drive and put in like 3rd 2nd or 1st. Just know how fast you are going so you don't downshift into 1st going 45. This won't hurt the car if done correctly. The same can be said with racing... on the street I like to start it in first or from a rolling start because I definitely giddy-up faster in that lower gear then drive. However on the freeway I keep it in drive of course and yes hen I slam on the gas their is a lulling before the Aero's full power is going, but it still overtakes most cars.

I also would have had a manual in my same car if I had known it came in manual, but this way I save gas and in the city driving is less laborsome because I am not constantly brake clutch gas shift clutch shift etc etc.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:20 AM   #18
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
i hate auto blah blah blah... auto is useless worthless dumb, blah blah blah
somehow i think rico, stevehayes or my auto saab would give many manual cars a good run for their money, if not make them look plain silly.

seriously, there are disadvantages and advantages to both auto and manual, and your opinion is just that. OPINION. I am entitled to choose anything I want, and just because it is not the choice you would make does not make it silly, worthless, dumb, or useless. different strokes for different folks. I may have good reasons for making the choice to get auto, like maybe I have a bad hip or knee and cannot use the clutch, or maybe I don't street race, nor do I go to the track, so I have not so much a need for stick shift.... or maybe I drive 90% in heavy stop and go traffic so auto is much more relaxing than shifting nonstop and alwasy being between gears in awkward spots... or maybe my wife can;t drive stick and I need her to be able to operate my rig in an emergency or just when she needs to run to the store. or maybe it was what i could afford at the time because I was getting a great deal. or... you get the idea.

stating a differing opinion is one thing, but telling others that their choices or opinions are worthlesss or stupid or somehow invalid because you don't agree is not wise.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 02-19-2005, 11:27 AM   #19

this is the only reason i argue the point DAN.... everything u just said..... All the GF's i have had beforei taught how to drive stick on my cars JUST IN CASE..... so if there were an emergency, they could at least get the car going and drive us to a hospital or whatever.....

like i said before if i could have my car in stick for the same price with all my mods on it right now..... what do u think i would choose?.... i think it is obvious......

I make due with what i got... my plan when i bought this car (for 7500$) was to drive it around and then sell it and buy a stick... then i realized what i had purchased which is when i decided to "improve" all the litle things that needed improvement end result is an automatic 9-3 se what puts down a lot more power than it should without software
and the game goes on...
Old 02-19-2005, 12:51 PM   #20

i agree with rico this whole auto sucks is stupid.. I have a car that is auto and a car that is standard. no1 likes building up a left leg the size of a tree trunk from hitting the clutch so often, although i prefer stick, i have absolutely no beef with auto.. i drive an auto full time now until i find another Saab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in