Saab Link Forums banner

lightweight flywheel

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  a12 
#1 ·
installing this this weekend in conjunction with a spec clutch and viggen pp. Going on a b204 motor. I was reading in the other thread about balancing the flywheel in conjunction with the pp and clutch....I haven't heard of this before. I was thinking I could just pull all the old parts out....and put in the new ones. Anyone know why I shouldn't do that?

#2 ·
Of course you can do that but you can also balance both the pp and flywheel which will help the engine run smoother and more efficiently.
I just did this on the B234 I'm building. I actually had the flywheel lightened by 3 pounds, resurfaced, and balanced. Way cheaper than going with an aluminum one.

#4 ·
well the aluminum one is MUCh lighter than 3lbs versus stock. Plus it has a removable friction surface which will be nice one day instead of getting a resurface. It also offers less downtime for the car which is important to me. I just don't see how balancing the clutch is necessary, i mean the clutch will be stuck to the flywheel when engaged anyways. I suppose having all the weight distributed evenly for rotating surfaces can be important, but I feel that would only impact the clutch during engagement and not while applying power.

#11 ·
Its not hard to get used to the Spec light weight wheel at all. I've had mine in since November 2007 and the revs drop only a little quicker then on the stock wheel but nothing that would cause the car to stall. It catches itself perfectly at idle. Running WOT is where you really notice it.

As Jameson said though the clutch work for getting in first takes some getting used to have the right revs to start from. A little low and you bog out, a little high and you slip it. The clutch package itself will really determine the true characteristics. I've got a stock viggen clutch setup so its not grabby like a spec would be.

#13 ·
Spec Stg. 2 Clutch + Spec Flywheel + Viggen PP = a couple hours to learn how it drives. (B204- stg 0.25 -basically stock-)

It's really not that hard. A little more slip, then once she catches you let her go- thats about it.

basically my impressions after 4000 miles of this setup-
really nice when you get on it WOT- the R's climb quick.
sounds pretty good at a stop light.
overall, nicer to drive in my opinion. :D

#16 ·
The rest of the rotating assembly in these cars is so heavy they still feel like stock with a light flywheel. If you make changes to the software to match, allowing it to drop revs quicker but making it catch a little harder down low then it is an amazing change.

Most setups would be fine with a Vig clutch and drive much nicer too!

Quaife, its a shame that they are such a pain to fit. Makes such a nice difference.

I would only listen to those that have the light flywheel in a NG/9-3 ;)

#17 ·
The rest of the rotating assembly in these cars is so heavy they still feel like stock with a light flywheel. If you make changes to the software to match, allowing it to drop revs quicker but making it catch a little harder down low then it is an amazing change.

Most setups would be fine with a Vig clutch and drive much nicer too!

)
Is it possible to have a software adjustment for the flywheel done on my Nordic tune, or does that count as a custom tune?

I am going to try out the latest tune sent to me this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.