lightweight flywheel - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Makeyousaab
lightweight flywheel

installing this this weekend in conjunction with a spec clutch and viggen pp. Going on a b204 motor. I was reading in the other thread about balancing the flywheel in conjunction with the pp and clutch....I haven't heard of this before. I was thinking I could just pull all the old parts out....and put in the new ones. Anyone know why I shouldn't do that?

1999 9-3 Vert. STG = pretty fast
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
a12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeyousaab View Post
installing this this weekend in conjunction with a spec clutch and viggen pp. Going on a b204 motor. I was reading in the other thread about balancing the flywheel in conjunction with the pp and clutch....I haven't heard of this before. I was thinking I could just pull all the old parts out....and put in the new ones. Anyone know why I shouldn't do that?
Of course you can do that but you can also balance both the pp and flywheel which will help the engine run smoother and more efficiently.
I just did this on the B234 I'm building. I actually had the flywheel lightened by 3 pounds, resurfaced, and balanced. Way cheaper than going with an aluminum one.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #3

How do you do that. Take the flywheel and pressure plate to a machine shop?

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 08-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #4

well the aluminum one is MUCh lighter than 3lbs versus stock. Plus it has a removable friction surface which will be nice one day instead of getting a resurface. It also offers less downtime for the car which is important to me. I just don't see how balancing the clutch is necessary, i mean the clutch will be stuck to the flywheel when engaged anyways. I suppose having all the weight distributed evenly for rotating surfaces can be important, but I feel that would only impact the clutch during engagement and not while applying power.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #5

do you need to remove the oil pan in order to remove the end plate to get to the rear main seal, or can you just replace it once the flywheel is off?

Old 08-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
Elder

Are you putting an ALum flywheel on a daily or street driven car? It may be hard to keep it rolling with the engine engaged. WHen you lift off with a super light flywheel yor car's revs will just die...

Unless that is what you want then cool...
Old 08-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
Are you putting an ALum flywheel on a daily or street driven car? It may be hard to keep it rolling with the engine engaged. WHen you lift off with a super light flywheel yor car's revs will just die...

Unless that is what you want then cool...
I have been fine with the Spec Flywheel. I have not stalled the car or had any issues. It's taking awhile getting it just right and getting to be smooth consistently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #8

yeah its my DD. It'll take some getting used to for sure. I've really only heard positive reviews on it.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to saab4life93t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
I have been fine with the Spec Flywheel. I have not stalled the car or had any issues. It's taking awhile getting it just right and getting to be smooth consistently.
about how long has it been since the install?? is it hard to get used to??
2002 viggen current

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab4life93t View Post
about how long has it been since the install?? is it hard to get used to??
700 miles. Not really, takes a few days. But if I drive another car for a few days it takes a few minute adjustment once I get back into the Vig.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Its not hard to get used to the Spec light weight wheel at all. I've had mine in since November 2007 and the revs drop only a little quicker then on the stock wheel but nothing that would cause the car to stall. It catches itself perfectly at idle. Running WOT is where you really notice it.

As Jameson said though the clutch work for getting in first takes some getting used to have the right revs to start from. A little low and you bog out, a little high and you slip it. The clutch package itself will really determine the true characteristics. I've got a stock viggen clutch setup so its not grabby like a spec would be.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
I slip it pretty good for the first 2/3, and give it a nice "pop" at the top.

I have had chatter once using that method.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #13

Spec Stg. 2 Clutch + Spec Flywheel + Viggen PP = a couple hours to learn how it drives. (B204- stg 0.25 -basically stock-)

It's really not that hard. A little more slip, then once she catches you let her go- thats about it.

basically my impressions after 4000 miles of this setup-
really nice when you get on it WOT- the R's climb quick.
sounds pretty good at a stop light.
overall, nicer to drive in my opinion.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:26 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to ViggenStory
[QUOTE=turbo9three;497254]Spec Stg. 2 Clutch + Spec Flywheel + Viggen PP = a couple hours to learn how it drives. (B204- stg 0.25 -basically stock-)

my clutch is almost gone. im thinkin about getting this setup. you have this setup yourself?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViggenStory View Post

my clutch is almost gone. i'm thinkin about getting this setup. you have this setup yourself?

Yes, I do.
I pretty much love it. not too hard to drive around town, and definitely nice in the high R's.

put a Quaife in too!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 06:16 AM   #16
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
The rest of the rotating assembly in these cars is so heavy they still feel like stock with a light flywheel. If you make changes to the software to match, allowing it to drop revs quicker but making it catch a little harder down low then it is an amazing change.

Most setups would be fine with a Vig clutch and drive much nicer too!

Quaife, its a shame that they are such a pain to fit. Makes such a nice difference.

I would only listen to those that have the light flywheel in a NG/9-3

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 08-26-2008, 06:18 AM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
The rest of the rotating assembly in these cars is so heavy they still feel like stock with a light flywheel. If you make changes to the software to match, allowing it to drop revs quicker but making it catch a little harder down low then it is an amazing change.

)
Is it possible to have a software adjustment for the flywheel done on my Nordic tune, or does that count as a custom tune?

I am going to try out the latest tune sent to me this week.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #18
a12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post

Quaife, its a shame that they are such a pain to fit. Makes such a nice difference.

I would only listen to those that have the light flywheel in a NG/9-3
Just saying I don't think it's worth the money when you can lighten and balance for a lot less. Lightweight flywheel only really makes a small difference in 1st and 2nd gear anyways. And yes balancing components will help especially those that have high mass and moments associated with them. Last time I checked a flywheel and pressure plate weighs alot more than a piston and rod assembly.

Nice Nick, looks like you'll get to sell some tunes to go with the flywheels!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in