crank balancing - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to saab4life93t
crank balancing

does anyone have a machine shop near them that will balance a crank for my b234?? im looking for high rpms with this motor and all the machine shops in the area wont touch them... any help is appreciated...
thanks
2002 viggen current

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #2

How high are you looking to go?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
AC Performance in Colchester does balancing work. They lightened and balanced my flywheel.

http://www.acperformancecenter.com/index.html

Andy is a really good guy, it wouldn't hurt to ask if they could do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

If you're looking for the motor to make high rpm, you will not only want to balance the crank shaft, but you'll want to get it knife-edged as well. Will not only reduce the weight of the CS, but it will also help wisk the oil from it more quickly. You may also want to add in a crankshaft scraper as well, again to wisk the oil away on high rpm applications.

x-VWer:

Old 08-25-2008, 02:05 PM   #5

well i want to be able to run an aluminum flywheel( the one nick sells) and i was told that the saab cranks need to be balanced before using that light of a flywheel?? correct?? if it were possible i would like to see between 7500 and 8000 rpms...
2002 viggen current

Old 08-25-2008, 02:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab4life93t View Post
well i want to be able to run an aluminum flywheel( the one nick sells) and i was told that the saab cranks need to be balanced before using that light of a flywheel?? correct?? if it were possible i would like to see between 7500 and 8000 rpms...

you're not going to see power in the 7500-8000 range in the Saab B2xx motors without a lot of work: Port&Polish, bigger valves, high lift & duration cams, non-hydralic lifters, match ported intake runners, etc etc.

x-VWer:

Old 08-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:
There are quite a few running that flywheel and I dont think any of them have done anything to their crankshaft.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
Elder

running a b234 in that area isnt gonna last very long
Old 08-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #9

this isnt going to be any ordinary b234 its getting a full rebuild with je internals and stock top end for now... then once everything is running correctly and my bank account increases im doing valves springs cams and a port/polish... so how safe is it to run a 7.5 lb flywheel without balancing the crank and running relatively stock rpms???
2002 viggen current

Old 08-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
Elder

shouldnt have an issue
Old 08-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #11

I agree, should be an issue....just make sure the new flywheel is balanced. Its best to have it balanced in conjection with the clutch disk and pressure plate that you will be using

x-VWer:

Old 08-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #12

alright i guess if i cant find a place this week than the flywheel is going on and the crank is going to stay stock...
2002 viggen current

Old 08-25-2008, 06:46 PM   #13
Elder

if your having a crank balanced, you must send the flywheel, clutch, and crank pulley, that is the only true way to harmonically balance it.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
if your having a crank balanced, you must send the flywheel, clutch, and crank pulley, that is the only true way to harmonically balance it.
True!

To make those sort of RPM's 7500-8000 its necessary to go to dry sump aswell as these engines can have oiling probs aswell at high rpm. Maybe add in an oil resrictor for the solid lifters to keep vital oil for crank and polish/smooth the oil galleries for improved flow
Old 08-27-2008, 06:13 AM   #15

I love the lt weight flywheel with the B234, revs much more like the B204 did.

Didn't do anything else to any other parts.

That comes this winter...

Old 08-27-2008, 07:04 AM   #16
Avid TSL User

id say its worth doing, with billet flywheel and lightened and balanced crank the car revs so much more freely. it would be even better with lighter forged pistons aswell.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:47 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
As its been pointed out you don't need to balance the crank to run the Spec flywheel. Been in my car since Nick had them available and have had no issues.

However as also said to balance your crank your going to have to send it in with anything that bolts to is so the pulley, flywheel, clutch/pp combo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in