Race coilover kit from GS - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Race coilover kit from GS

Does anyone have this on their car? I was gonna wait till xmas, but it seems I might have just gotten the OK from wifey to get them. It seems the used set of swedish dynamics springs I got a year ago is starting to show some MAJOR sag and now i'm rubbing all over the place.

Also, the site says that it requires some 'minor' modification for fitment. what does that mean? and then there's spring rates.... anyone have any idea what to order for a street driven, but wants to be track-ready car?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

i don't think the coil-overs would be what you want... PAVIGGEN has them on his car and he says the ride on the highway is rough as hell...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-25-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Thats why they are not street springs

PA has softer springs than I run on the red car too.

Remember a race car makes a poor street car, a good streetcar is a bad race car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs

Old 08-25-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasaaabi View Post
...anyone have any idea what to order for a street driven, but wants to be track-ready car?
Koni Kit for 9-3
Vogtland/Koni for NG900

Old 08-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
I want to get a pair for my 9-3, since I autocross and do the occasional trackday, and I would love a better spring setup over the standard Koni Sports. But I do drive my car pretty regularly in the summer time on crappy VT roads so I've held off for the time being.

As for minor modification, I believe you need to remove the lower spring perch on the factory strut housing.

I suppose if you didn't want to run a really high spring rate, you could try the coilover with the standard Koni springs, so that way you get the benefit of corner weighting the front and adjustable ride height. I've considered this possibility too. I would talk to Nick T first.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #6

http://www.saabperformanceparts.com/cat28_1.htm

who makes these? and is anyone using them?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:18 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
I think those are Kilen springs. Dunno if anyone is using them though.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by byastremski View Post
i don't think the coil-overs would be what you want... PAVIGGEN has them on his car and he says the ride on the highway is rough as hell...
The ride is rough. With that said I would never go back. The performance gains are well worth the decreased ride quality to me, but this kit definitely isn't for most people. After 6 months of having them installed they feel soft to me now
Old 08-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #9
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTalladegaKid View Post
http://www.saabperformanceparts.com/cat28_1.htm

who makes these? and is anyone using them?
I've got them. they suck. that's why I started this post to begin with...but I can deal with them. the real problem i was having was that the rears were starting to sag and I'd rub on accleration or with even just a little weight in the back. I'm sure my wheels and tires play a part in it, but I've never had rubbing issues with them before. I had my hopes up really high, but I guess I mis-read the description on the site and thought that these were somehow for the rear. What really got me was the ability for height adjustment as I wanted to be able to raise the car if I needed to haul some extra people or a Sam's Club trunk full of goodies. I found a good idea from Ragtopcav on the other site and that is to use spring assisters...i've sent an email to grayston engineering in the UK, but have not recieved one back. Anyone know of a US dealer/brand that sells something similar? I don't want the rubber things to go between the coils, I want the progressive springs that go inside the rear spring coils. any help would be great...thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAviggen View Post
The ride is rough. With that said I would never go back. The performance gains are well worth the decreased ride quality to me, but this kit definitely isn't for most people. After 6 months of having them installed they feel soft to me now
I guess there might still be hope for me getting these, as it seems i'm one of the rare folks that likes driving my konis on full firm.

Last edited by snow4_1man; 08-28-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasaaabi View Post
I guess there might still be hope for me getting these, as it seems i'm one of the rare folks that likes driving my konis on full firm.
350in/lbs springs are a good deal stiffer than konis on full firm. I don't want to detract you from purchasing them, but when Nick's site says race use only he means it. Although this car is my daily driver, my job allows me to take advantage of public transportation. So, whenever I'm in the viggen its either for fun or a grocery/home depot run. (Or driving to Springfield)
Old 08-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #11

I ran the Ground Control/Eibach coilover set up with 450s in the front and 350s in the rear on my old '90 GTI and I personally loved it. Sure it was a little wash-boardy on rougher roads, but holding over 1.1 G in a turn with street tires sure made up for it

x-VWer:

Old 08-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #12
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Yeah and its not a fixed item. My coilovers are custom the the car. So you really cannot compare a to b.

Nice change to the car though for sure. PA too bad it is such a pain to get to the springs.. We could try a little softer on yours. Call me sometime.

I thought my Vig was hard until I took a long ride on the Ducati Superbike. It sags maybe 10mm with me on it.

|
|

Old 08-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAviggen View Post
What springs are you running in the rear?

x-VWer:

Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #14
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkj View Post
What springs are you running in the rear?
good question. it seems we don't have much choice on set ups for the back side. Anyone know which brand offers the stiffest spring rate for the rears? I still think the rear spring assisters are a good option, anyone got these?
Old 08-29-2008, 07:31 AM   #15
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

The rears I run at the drag strip are a little on the stiff side. You can set on the bumper and it barely sags.

|
|

Old 08-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #16
SAAB Road Master

i'd like a pair of those please! or at least something stiffer than what garbage I've already got. I put a backpack and two textbooks in my trunk and it's sag-city!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #17
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to sethrman
I'm still waiting for TEIN to make their Euro Damper Coilovers for saabs.
That would be Delicious.
http://www.tein.com/products/euro.html
Old 09-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
TEIN makes some cool things I just wish they would make stuff for saabs.

^CLICK ME^
Old 09-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethrman View Post
I'm still waiting for TEIN to make their Euro Damper Coilovers for saabs.
That would be Delicious.
http://www.tein.com/products/euro.html
Probably never gonna happen for the ng900/og9-3 though
Old 09-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pade View Post
Probably never gonna happen for the ng900/og9-3 though
never

^CLICK ME^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in