Saab Link Forums banner

Race coilover kit from GS

4K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  lms 
#1 ·
Does anyone have this on their car? I was gonna wait till xmas, but it seems I might have just gotten the OK from wifey to get them. It seems the used set of swedish dynamics springs I got a year ago is starting to show some MAJOR sag and now i'm rubbing all over the place.

Also, the site says that it requires some 'minor' modification for fitment. what does that mean? and then there's spring rates.... anyone have any idea what to order for a street driven, but wants to be track-ready car?

#5 ·
I want to get a pair for my 9-3, since I autocross and do the occasional trackday, and I would love a better spring setup over the standard Koni Sports. But I do drive my car pretty regularly in the summer time on crappy VT roads so I've held off for the time being.

As for minor modification, I believe you need to remove the lower spring perch on the factory strut housing.

I suppose if you didn't want to run a really high spring rate, you could try the coilover with the standard Koni springs, so that way you get the benefit of corner weighting the front and adjustable ride height. I've considered this possibility too. I would talk to Nick T first.

#21 · (Edited)
As for minor modification, I believe you need to remove the lower spring perch on the factory strut housing.
So just cut it off? or shave it down? after doing coilovers on a toyota i want some for my saab BAD!!! Btw, how much do these run from GS? i know it says to email but cant i get a ball park? and isnt there a groundcontrol over sleeve option for the rears? Id just rather not sit raked.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've got them. they suck. that's why I started this post to begin with...but I can deal with them. the real problem i was having was that the rears were starting to sag and I'd rub on accleration or with even just a little weight in the back. I'm sure my wheels and tires play a part in it, but I've never had rubbing issues with them before. I had my hopes up really high, but I guess I mis-read the description on the site and thought that these were somehow for the rear. What really got me was the ability for height adjustment as I wanted to be able to raise the car if I needed to haul some extra people or a Sam's Club trunk full of goodies. I found a good idea from Ragtopcav on the other site and that is to use spring assisters...i've sent an email to grayston engineering in the UK, but have not recieved one back. Anyone know of a US dealer/brand that sells something similar? I don't want the rubber things to go between the coils, I want the progressive springs that go inside the rear spring coils. any help would be great...thanks!:D

The ride is rough. With that said I would never go back. The performance gains are well worth the decreased ride quality to me, but this kit definitely isn't for most people. After 6 months of having them installed they feel soft to me now :)
I guess there might still be hope for me getting these, as it seems i'm one of the rare folks that likes driving my konis on full firm.

#12 ·
Yeah and its not a fixed item. My coilovers are custom the the car. ;) So you really cannot compare a to b.

Nice change to the car though for sure. PA too bad it is such a pain to get to the springs.. We could try a little softer on yours. Call me sometime.

I thought my Vig was hard until I took a long ride on the Ducati Superbike. It sags maybe 10mm with me on it.

#26 ·
There is no good height adjustment system of the rear on these cars.
has anyone taken a look at e30 rears? grouncontrol makes a kit for them, and there rear spring size and perches look very similar to saabs. I'm going to meassure some parts with a local guys e30 and see if this might be a good sloution to slightly adjustable rears.

#25 ·
It's $400 for the helper spring, the coilover spring, threaded sleeve, and the adapter at the top of the spring. There aren't any shocks included, and your factory knuckle needs modification to the point that you wouldn't be able to return it to a stock setup if you wanted. Keep in mind the spings alone can be bought on your own for 60 bucks a piece, the threaded coiloves are like 30 bucks for a set, etc. The parts themselves are cheap compared to the selling price. Nick did the research between what setups are acceptable though.

#28 · (Edited)
#32 ·
I was hopeing that height adjusable coilovers would do the trick :(
Seems I was wrong, Nick just clarifyed that on the phone: the issue is the rims offset... All I have to do is machine them a little (there is plenty of clearance on the inside of the rim).
Still, a fully adjustable coilovers kit (front and rear), street-wise, would be great!!! Would the E30 rear coilovers fit the 9-3 OG?
Good to know ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.