Saab Link Forums banner

installing a 255 pump, any tips?

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  adshaft 
#1 ·
i bought the pump and im going to install it next weekend and wanted to know if anyone who has done it before has any tips of how to do it. (1999 9-3)

i think i might cut a hole where the spare tires is to get to the pump.

im going to take alot of pictures when i do it.

#7 ·
The pump assembly and housing is damn near identical. The only difference is how you're going to go about removing the pump assy from the tank (much easier on a 9000).

I have two pump assemblies sitting on a shelf right now, one is a 1999 9-3, the other from a 1995 9000, I honestly can't tell which one is which at the moment :lol:

edit: so what I am saying is that all the info you're going to find from my install is 100% applicable to a 9-3.

#9 ·
The only difference, after looking back at adshaft's thread, is that he had to "build up" the pump with heat shrink because it was too small for the basket.

On a 9-3, or newer 9000 its the opposite, you have to take a little bit off the basket because the 255 is bigger than the stock one. But, you'll be able to figure it out when you get to that point, up until then the basket and everything comes apart the same.

#10 ·
i think i might cut a hole where the spare tires is to get to the pump.
Lift up the rear seat, you will see an access whole in the carpet, go in from there, NOT the spare tire area. You will have to cut a little sheet metal with some snips but the seat is going to cover anything you do.

#12 ·
sorry to thread jack but does eeuro or anyplace for that matter have the fuel level sending unit because im running the original stock fuel pump and my fuel gauge is definitely not correct. end thread jack

#13 ·
If you are asking about a fuel level sensor, don't know if it's for your 9-3 or your 9000, but I think those fuel level sensors are not sold seperately. Might need to buy the whole housing. I personally would not buy it new for $450, I'd probably just get a good working used one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.