installing a 255 pump, any tips? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

installing a 255 pump, any tips?

i bought the pump and im going to install it next weekend and wanted to know if anyone who has done it before has any tips of how to do it. (1999 9-3)

i think i might cut a hole where the spare tires is to get to the pump.

im going to take alot of pictures when i do it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
JK
Elder

Do a search, there are LOADS of photos from me, adshaft, and someone else who have recently done it. Plenty of tips too.

It's pretty straight forward
Old 08-23-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Here's one of them: https://www.saablink.net/forum/showth...install+walbro

lots of pics

Old 08-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adshaft View Post
i saw that but i think i thought it was for a 9k... i guess not.
thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #5

Oh yeah it is for a 9000, but it's a good cross reference.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:40 PM   #6

i was looking for someone who did it on a 9-3
Old 08-23-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
JK
Elder

The pump assembly and housing is damn near identical. The only difference is how you're going to go about removing the pump assy from the tank (much easier on a 9000).

I have two pump assemblies sitting on a shelf right now, one is a 1999 9-3, the other from a 1995 9000, I honestly can't tell which one is which at the moment

edit: so what I am saying is that all the info you're going to find from my install is 100% applicable to a 9-3.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
The pump assembly and housing is damn near identical. The only difference is how you're going to go about removing the pump assy from the tank (much easier on a 9000).

I have two pump assemblies sitting on a shelf right now, one is a 1999 9-3, the other from a 1995 9000, I honestly can't tell which one is which at the moment

edit: so what I am saying is that all the info you're going to find from my install is 100% applicable to a 9-3.
thats nice to know, thanks
Old 08-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
JK
Elder

The only difference, after looking back at adshaft's thread, is that he had to "build up" the pump with heat shrink because it was too small for the basket.

On a 9-3, or newer 9000 its the opposite, you have to take a little bit off the basket because the 255 is bigger than the stock one. But, you'll be able to figure it out when you get to that point, up until then the basket and everything comes apart the same.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny72888 View Post
i think i might cut a hole where the spare tires is to get to the pump.
Lift up the rear seat, you will see an access whole in the carpet, go in from there, NOT the spare tire area. You will have to cut a little sheet metal with some snips but the seat is going to cover anything you do.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks900SE View Post
Lift up the rear seat, you will see an access whole in the carpet, go in from there, NOT the spare tire area. You will have to cut a little sheet metal with some snips but the seat is going to cover anything you do.
i saw that but then i saw that you should go from the back and it got me all messed up. i will do that because i do not want to drop the tank again... that was not fun at all.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to saab4life93t
sorry to thread jack but does eeuro or anyplace for that matter have the fuel level sending unit because im running the original stock fuel pump and my fuel gauge is definitely not correct. end thread jack
2002 viggen current

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #13

If you are asking about a fuel level sensor, don't know if it's for your 9-3 or your 9000, but I think those fuel level sensors are not sold seperately. Might need to buy the whole housing. I personally would not buy it new for $450, I'd probably just get a good working used one.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to saab4life93t
yeah its for my 9-3. i had a feeling it was one of those things you had to buy as a whole... does anyone have a good working one sitting around???
2002 viggen current

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:27 PM   #15

Those things look damn near identical. Got one from my 93 9000 aero. It worked before I stripped the car. Would have to find it though. Don't know if it would work on your 9-3.

9-3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in