Saab Link Forums banner

Shimming pressure relief valve spring...

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  crazybrightman 
#1 ·
Has anybody shimmed the pressure relief valve spring?
I have heard this can help raise oil pressure.
I was thinking of putting a washer under the spring or in the piston itself to try this out. One little washer can't change it that much right?

#4 ·
I think knowing what you're oil pressure actually is with the oil you use is the first place to start. There has been some discussion on shimming the oil pressure relief valve and it can work to raise oil pressure, but you do not want too much oil pressure as it can blow out seals and cause issues with say a gtbb turbo.

John

#5 ·
ive found that on a decent motor you get too much oil pressure. im currently having to switch back to ow30 oil as my 5w40 is running a good half a bar over spec! the weather has got colder mind you.
best bet is to see what pressure you are running at to start with, if its only slightly out then you can correct that by changing oil grades. its unlikely you will need to alter it though as the standard oil cooler is pretty damn good ive never seen above 100degrees oil temp even on long top speed runs. normaly runs about 90 giving 2.9bar at 2000rpm. currently its nearer 3.1bar at 2000rpm as i only ever see 80 degrees. iirc it should be around 2.7bar at 2000rpm fully warmed up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.