Saab Link Forums banner

My Ebay Intercooler Install (Stock Location)

12K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  TheTalladegaKid 
#1 · (Edited)
For those that are interested, this is how I installed an Ebay intercooler on my 1999 Stage 3+ 9-3 to fit through the stock locations.

The kit is from Just Intercoolers.
Core Size: 22x7x2.5 inch
Overall size: 28x7x2.5 inch
Inlet and outlet sizes: 2.5 inch
2.5" Polished Aluminum Piping Kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ame=STRK:MEWNX:IT&viewitem=&item=230267115727

HOT SIDE

----

----

----

---

COLD SIDE

FINISHED

Before vs After

Parts Used
2 - 90 Degree silicone Tubes (Cut)
2 - 2 1/2" to 2 1/4" Metal Pipes
1 - 45 Degree Pipe (Cut)
2 - Stock Intercooler pipes

Steps - More will likely be added when I remember them
  1. Remove Front Bumper - Remove original Intercooler
  2. Cut 90 degree sillicone angles so they don't bend to reach stock locations. (Creates a tighter angle than 90 degrees)
  3. Grind down the screw lug on the top of the intercooler and move up the AC dryer.
  4. Cut the 45 degree pipe to sizes given above. (Both sides will need to be cut)
  5. Test fit the intercooler and piping - Intercooler should line up in the middle when the pipes are in place.
  6. Modify the stock intercooler pipes and/or other pipes to fit. Install.
  7. Re-install flaps around intercooler - custom make your own to fill the rest of the gaps. We used some rubber sheet which was reinforced with webbing for this.

Impressions
My test run was short lived. I was impressed with what seemed like a slight improvement in the power of the car. However the most improved thing was the ability that the car could keep the power. Multiple long pulls and the car was not losing power. There is also a slight sound you can now hear.

Apparently, the constant increased power was too much for my engine to handle. :( With earlier problems with the car from the first owner, a changed head gasket (w/ lots of work) and a turbo later problems had seemed to have gone away. I had not dropped the sump :(. A silly choice on my part because it seems it had slowly depriving the engine of oil. A big bearing was toasted, and I'm lucky no other damage was found as of yet. The engine is now removed and in for a rebuild.

Future Plans
In the future i hope to change the stock intercooler pipes, as they seem to be on their way out. I also hope to bolt the intercooler down so it sits straight.

More pictures are available if people are interested...

See less See more
#9 ·
Well I have no engine, so if there is even a slight chance the rust will go up into a newly conditioned engine I will take these reducers out.

I was planning on replacing the metal reducers when i switch out the stock tubes.. perhaps get 90 degree silicone reducers. These would be parts that were not included in my box so I would have to find them elsewhere.

When/ if i change the setup I will take pictures just as I did this time.

Thanks,
Phil

#10 ·
For those that are interested, this is how I installed an Ebay intercooler on my 1999 Stage 3+ 9-3 to fit through the stock locations.

The kit is from Just Intercoolers.
Core Size: 22x7x2.5 inch
Overall size: 28x7x2.5 inch
Inlet and outlet sizes: 2.5 inch
2.5" Polished Aluminum Piping Kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ame=STRK:MEWNX:IT&viewitem=&item=230267115727

HOT SIDE

----

----

----

---

COLD SIDE

FINISHED

Before vs After

Parts Used
2 - 2 1/2" to 2 1/4" Metal Pipes
1 - 45 Degree Pipe (Cut)
2 - Stock Intercooler pipes

Steps - More will likely be added when I remember them
  1. Remove Front Bumper - Remove original Intercooler
  2. Cut 90 degree sillicone angles so they don't bend to reach stock locations. (Creates a tighter angle than 90 degrees)
  3. Grind down the screw slot on the top of the intercooler and move up the AC evaporator/dryer .
  4. Cut the 45 degree pipe to sizes given above. (Both sides will need to be cut)
  5. Test fit the intercooler and piping - Intercooler may be croocked until it is bolted to be straight - Should line up in the middle
  6. Modify the stock intercooler pipes and/or other pipes to fit. Install.
  7. Re-install flaps around intercooler - custom make your own to fill the rest of the gaps.

Impressions
My test run was short lived. I was impressed with what seemed like a slight improvement in the power of the car. However the most improved thing was the ability that the car could keep the power. Multiple long pulls and the car was not losing power. There is also a slight sound you can now hear.

Apparently, the constant increased power was too much for my engine to handle. :( With earlier problems with the car from the first owner, a changed head gasket (w/ lots of work) and a turbo later problems had seemed to have gone away. I had not dropped the sump :(. A silly choice on my part because it seems it had slowly depriving the engine of oil. A big bearing was toasted, and I'm lucky no other damage was found as of yet. The engine is now removed and in for a rebuild.

Future Plans
In the future i hope to change the stock intercooler pipes, as they seem to be on their way out. I also hope to bolt the intercooler down so it sits straight.

More pictures are available if people are interested...
yummy, my pick-*up screen looked like that before I cleaned it before I started tuning my car.

So, how much was the total bill with all the pipes and connectors and the ic after it was all said and done?

John

#11 ·
Intercooler Kit - $189 shipped
Metal Reducers - $5 from AutoZone
-------
Total $194

However I only used the following parts from the kit

1 - 45 Degree Pipe (Cut)

Therefore, you could buy the intercooler w.o the pipes and buy the pipes and tubes somewhere else for less than my total. I however was not sure what was necessary in order to route these through the stock location so I bought the kit to be sure. Hopefully now, people wanting to do the same won't have to buy the entire kit.

#13 ·
Maybe with a Viggen/ HOT 9-3. My 1999 9-3 had the two intercooler pipes on the same side. The drivers side. Therefore I had to get rid of a stock rubber pipe that ran all the way across next to the exhaust to the turbo. And instead made what you see above.

#20 · (Edited)
do you think ill have an issue with fitting a 27"x6"X3.5" and still using the same silicone tubes?
how much space is in there? 3.5" sounds a little deep... might hit the bumper support. i guess it all depends on location; if its only 6" tall you should be able to slide it under there no problem :D

EDIT: actually, i think ETS is 3.5" so nvm everything i said above :rolleyes:

#22 ·
now how does one of these stack up against a forge, performance wise?

#30 ·
that wouldn't be a bad idea. my ebay fmic just came in last week and im slowly pulling together all the parts i need to complete stage 4. for now im probably going to throw together my piping and wait on my samco hoses. a good idea would be to go from the 90deg to a silicone reducer using joiners. and id use joiners because id rather it not look like a hack job. sadly im too impatient so hack job it is! only for a little while though...

couplers/piping/joiners etc
http://www.boostcontroller.com/index.php?category=109

viggen hoses (this is what im planning on buying)
http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_472&products_id=2770

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.