My Ebay Intercooler Install (Stock Location) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
TSLMember

My Ebay Intercooler Install (Stock Location)

For those that are interested, this is how I installed an Ebay intercooler on my 1999 Stage 3+ 9-3 to fit through the stock locations.

The kit is from Just Intercoolers.
Core Size: 22x7x2.5 inch
Overall size: 28x7x2.5 inch
Inlet and outlet sizes: 2.5 inch
2.5" Polished Aluminum Piping Kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230267115727

HOT SIDE

----

----

----

---

COLD SIDE

FINISHED

Before vs After

Parts Used
2 - 90 Degree silicone Tubes (Cut)
2 - 2 1/2" to 2 1/4" Metal Pipes
1 - 45 Degree Pipe (Cut)
2 - Stock Intercooler pipes

Steps - More will likely be added when I remember them
  1. Remove Front Bumper - Remove original Intercooler
  2. Cut 90 degree sillicone angles so they don't bend to reach stock locations. (Creates a tighter angle than 90 degrees)
  3. Grind down the screw lug on the top of the intercooler and move up the AC dryer.
  4. Cut the 45 degree pipe to sizes given above. (Both sides will need to be cut)
  5. Test fit the intercooler and piping - Intercooler should line up in the middle when the pipes are in place.
  6. Modify the stock intercooler pipes and/or other pipes to fit. Install.
  7. Re-install flaps around intercooler - custom make your own to fill the rest of the gaps. We used some rubber sheet which was reinforced with webbing for this.

Impressions
My test run was short lived. I was impressed with what seemed like a slight improvement in the power of the car. However the most improved thing was the ability that the car could keep the power. Multiple long pulls and the car was not losing power. There is also a slight sound you can now hear.

Apparently, the constant increased power was too much for my engine to handle. With earlier problems with the car from the first owner, a changed head gasket (w/ lots of work) and a turbo later problems had seemed to have gone away. I had not dropped the sump . A silly choice on my part because it seems it had slowly depriving the engine of oil. A big bearing was toasted, and I'm lucky no other damage was found as of yet. The engine is now removed and in for a rebuild.

Future Plans
In the future i hope to change the stock intercooler pipes, as they seem to be on their way out. I also hope to bolt the intercooler down so it sits straight.

More pictures are available if people are interested...

Last edited by bigPHIL18; 08-28-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
Elder

we're always interested in more pictures
Old 08-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
JK
Elder

I would advise against using aluminized mild steel tuing in the intake. Other than that, looks good!

Old 08-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
SAAB Road Master

Thumbs up

This is a great, informative thread.

Yo moderators, can you make this a "STICKY" so
this thread doesn't get buried over time?

Cheers bigPhil!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Elmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
we're always interested in more pictures
yes... i would like to see how it looks in the bumper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:02 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
I would advise against using aluminized mild steel tuing in the intake. Other than that, looks good!

Why do you advise against this ?
Old 08-21-2008, 04:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigPHIL18 View Post
Parts Used
[/I]
the reducer shown on the hot side is 2.5" to 2"

Last edited by Elmo; 08-21-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:05 AM   #8
Elder

aluminized mild steel will still rust. and get sucked into the motor. and fuck shit up.

i'd replace that reducer sooner rather than later
Old 08-21-2008, 08:26 AM   #9
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
aluminized mild steel will still rust. and get sucked into the motor. and fuck shit up.

i'd replace that reducer sooner rather than later
Well I have no engine, so if there is even a slight chance the rust will go up into a newly conditioned engine I will take these reducers out.

I was planning on replacing the metal reducers when i switch out the stock tubes.. perhaps get 90 degree silicone reducers. These would be parts that were not included in my box so I would have to find them elsewhere.

When/ if i change the setup I will take pictures just as I did this time.

Thanks,
Phil

Old 08-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigPHIL18 View Post
For those that are interested, this is how I installed an Ebay intercooler on my 1999 Stage 3+ 9-3 to fit through the stock locations.

The kit is from Just Intercoolers.
Core Size: 22x7x2.5 inch
Overall size: 28x7x2.5 inch
Inlet and outlet sizes: 2.5 inch
2.5" Polished Aluminum Piping Kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230267115727

HOT SIDE

----

----

----

---

COLD SIDE

FINISHED

Before vs After

Parts Used
1 - 45 Degree Pipe (Cut)
2 - Stock Intercooler pipes

Steps - More will likely be added when I remember them
  1. Remove Front Bumper - Remove original Intercooler
  2. Cut 90 degree sillicone angles so they don't bend to reach stock locations. (Creates a tighter angle than 90 degrees)
  3. Grind down the screw slot on the top of the intercooler and move up the AC evaporator/dryer .
  4. Cut the 45 degree pipe to sizes given above. (Both sides will need to be cut)
  5. Test fit the intercooler and piping - Intercooler may be croocked until it is bolted to be straight - Should line up in the middle
  6. Modify the stock intercooler pipes and/or other pipes to fit. Install.
  7. Re-install flaps around intercooler - custom make your own to fill the rest of the gaps.

Impressions
My test run was short lived. I was impressed with what seemed like a slight improvement in the power of the car. However the most improved thing was the ability that the car could keep the power. Multiple long pulls and the car was not losing power. There is also a slight sound you can now hear.

Apparently, the constant increased power was too much for my engine to handle. With earlier problems with the car from the first owner, a changed head gasket (w/ lots of work) and a turbo later problems had seemed to have gone away. I had not dropped the sump . A silly choice on my part because it seems it had slowly depriving the engine of oil. A big bearing was toasted, and I'm lucky no other damage was found as of yet. The engine is now removed and in for a rebuild.

Future Plans
In the future i hope to change the stock intercooler pipes, as they seem to be on their way out. I also hope to bolt the intercooler down so it sits straight.

More pictures are available if people are interested...

yummy, my pick-*up screen looked like that before I cleaned it before I started tuning my car.

So, how much was the total bill with all the pipes and connectors and the ic after it was all said and done?

John
Old 08-21-2008, 10:13 AM   #11
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
yummy, my pick-*up screen looked like that before I cleaned it before I started tuning my car.

So, how much was the total bill with all the pipes and connectors and the ic after it was all said and done?

John
Intercooler Kit - $189 shipped
Metal Reducers - $5 from AutoZone
-------
Total $194

However I only used the following parts from the kit

1 - 45 Degree Pipe (Cut)

Therefore, you could buy the intercooler w.o the pipes and buy the pipes and tubes somewhere else for less than my total. I however was not sure what was necessary in order to route these through the stock location so I bought the kit to be sure. Hopefully now, people wanting to do the same won't have to buy the entire kit.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #12

i'm sort of confused about the 45 degree pipe on the hot side...

why couldn't you just go right from the IC to the silicone bend to reducer and plug it straight into the stock tubing?

thanks

Old 08-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #13
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
i'm sort of confused about the 45 degree pipe on the hot side...

why couldn't you just go right from the IC to the silicone bend to reducer and plug it straight into the stock tubing?

thanks
Maybe with a Viggen/ HOT 9-3. My 1999 9-3 had the two intercooler pipes on the same side. The drivers side. Therefore I had to get rid of a stock rubber pipe that ran all the way across next to the exhaust to the turbo. And instead made what you see above.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #14

oh, right... totally forgot. i'm dumb

Old 08-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #15
Elder

nice, what kind of different sound did you notice?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post

John
Why must you always quote every post with the most pictures?
Old 08-28-2008, 05:50 PM   #17

Hey did you have any issues putting your foglights back in??
im planning on buying the same kit only the size of my intercooler will be an overall size of 27"x6"X3.5" with reduced to 2.25 piping. Nice write up by the way.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #18
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTalladegaKid View Post
Hey did you have any issues putting your foglights back in??
im planning on buying the same kit only the size of my intercooler will be an overall size of 27"x6"X3.5" with reduced to 2.25 piping. Nice write up by the way.
No issues at all putting fog lights back in. Everything fit on as it originally did. Glad you liked the write up.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:26 AM   #19

do you think ill have an issue with fitting a 27"x6"X3.5" and still using the same silicone tubes? the only issue im going to have is making what resembles a viggen pipe using the piping they give me. Any tips on what angles to use in replace of the vig pipe?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTalladegaKid View Post
do you think ill have an issue with fitting a 27"x6"X3.5" and still using the same silicone tubes?
how much space is in there? 3.5" sounds a little deep... might hit the bumper support. i guess it all depends on location; if its only 6" tall you should be able to slide it under there no problem

EDIT: actually, i think ETS is 3.5" so nvm everything i said above

Last edited by Elmo; 08-29-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cx racing intercooler, ebay intercooler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in