Increasing Base Boost - TD04 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
Increasing Base Boost - TD04

My TD04 is only getting a Base Boost of 5psi. My stage 5 setup is getting a max of 15psi.

I emailed Jak to see what my base boost should be set at.

I just need to know how to increase the base boost. I've searched, and sifting through old threads didn't help much.

To increase the base boost, I'm supposed to shorten the wastegate actuator rod, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Yes, shorten the rod.

This is for a 9000 TD04 (pretty much the same thing).

http://www.saab9000.com/procedures/e...seboostadj.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Or add a helper spring.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 08-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
JK
Elder

Also, you need to get the right turbo on there for that tune! Or at least have someone lean down the fueling since its not going to be flowing the right amount of air relative to MAP sensor readings at each spot on the fuel map (which is probably part of the reason you use so much fuel, and the car is not that fast).
Old 08-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #5
Elder

JK, we put finished installing the TD04 last night. thats when we found the base boost issue on the TD04
Old 08-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
Also, you need to get the right turbo on there for that tune! Or at least have someone lean down the fueling since its not going to be flowing the right amount of air relative to MAP sensor readings at each spot on the fuel map (which is probably part of the reason you use so much fuel, and the car is not that fast).
Yup, just finished getting the TD04 installed. Boosts only to 15psi. Switch to base boost, and it shows base of 5psi.

With the T25, I was getting a full 19-20psi.

We had to separate the exhaust and compressor housings from the turbo in order to drill out one of the studs on the exhaust flange, and we separated the wastegate actuator to do that. So that may have messed up the base boost.

In any case, I need to get base to what it should be, then I should see full boost, and get my power back.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
JK
Elder

Yes, but still, the stage 5 tune is written for 18t or 19t, I am about 99% sure of it.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #8
JK
Elder

Anyway, shorten the rod. This should be common knowledge by now
Old 08-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
Yes, but still, the stage 5 tune is written for 18t or 19t, I am about 99% sure of it.

https://www.saablink.net/forum/showth...&highlight=jsp

Quote:
Tuned for Mitsubishi Aero Td04.

Not all ECU's are tuned equally

Had it been tuned for a 18T, or a T28, I wouldn't have kept asking or looking for a TD04, and talking about getting a TD04 for the past 3-4 months.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
JK
Elder

So you think all TD04 are created equal? You think a TD04 18t is not a TD04? Did you get that info from the person who wrote the tune? Will a TD04 13t work fine? Its a TD04, I can't see why it wouldn't with your logic

please think before you mock me.

(although now I see that he says 15t - but just saying TD04 does NOT denote what size)

cliff notes: an 18t is a TD04 you dumbass.

Last edited by JK; 08-19-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #11
Elder

oplz guys. the tune is designed for an "aero td04" i.e. a 15t. yes, the stage 5 is probably out of the efficiency range of a 15t, but oh well?

can we stop the haet?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
JZW
Elder

Point that has been made many times. Jak will tell you this himself. When you need more base boost, I needed 7-8psi for my stage 3+, you should, in my opinion and others, not shorten the rod, but add a helper spring.

When you shorten the rod, you shorten the travel and then the waste-gate cannot open as far to dump boost if needed to save the motor.

The better option is to add a helper spring that will be adjustable, give you the base boost you want and keep the full travel of the actuator and waste-gate.

You can get the perfect spring from advance auto, its the brake pedal return springs, 4 in a clear pack for 5 bucks. Pick the one that is around 2mm wire diameter. Put the hooked end on the actuator bracket and then measure the straight part of the wire at the waste-gate pin. When you ben it so it will wrap around the waste-gate pin, you want the spring to have to stretch about 1/4" to connect to you're mounting point at the actuator bracket. This will give you rigth at 7-10psi base boost. Then you can shorten or lengthen the bend in the hook to adjust base boost.

Its fully adjustable, keeps full travel of the waste-gate and is easy to use and adjust.
https://saablink.net/forum/attachment...4&d=1207612378

John

Last edited by JZW; 08-19-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #13
JK
Elder

I do not hate Amish at all. Only wub! He just told be that it was not for a 18t, it was for a TD04...which makes no sense.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #14
Elder

Ugh...

The assumption that I failed to verify the proper turbo for my tune before spending money on a turbo, and investing the time/effort/energy to install said turbo, it's bothersome.

Why do I even bother... because obviously I'm doing it wrong, 100% of the time.

I'm sorry if I came off as mocking you JK, but I hope you can understand my frustration.

Last edited by amish_geek; 08-19-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #15
Elder

Yay, with the springs my base boost is where it should be, and i'm seeing 20psi now.

The car pulls nice and hard. And towards the top of 2nd gear the wheels break loose.

But the turbo is burning oil. Which I knew was a possibility when buying a used turbo.

Considering a T25/28 upgrade + reflash from Jak... then getting the TD04 rebuilt into an 18T for sell or future use in another NG900 or 9-5 etc...

Or say F-it and do holset+t5suite.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #16
JK
Elder

its not as easy as saying "F-it"

ask saab9-3usa
Old 08-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #17
Elder

or castor troy
Old 08-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #18
Elder

true... i suppose with the price of a manifold & buying a holset, i could buy a GT3071 and a manifold spacer.

In any case, my NG900 will most likely spend the winter up on blocks like my SPG did last winter.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amish_geek View Post
Yay, with the springs my base boost is where it should be, and i'm seeing 20psi now.

The car pulls nice and hard. And towards the top of 2nd gear the wheels break loose.

But the turbo is burning oil. Which I knew was a possibility when buying a used turbo.

Considering a T25/28 upgrade + reflash from Jak... then getting the TD04 rebuilt into an 18T for sell or future use in another NG900 or 9-5 etc...

Or say F-it and do holset+t5suite.
What? How much oil is it burning? Are you sure your custom lines aren't a cause for that?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB View Post
What? How much oil is it burning? Are you sure your custom lines aren't a cause for that?
I have no custom lines. Using the stock oil lines.

I'm using larger washers and new banjo bolts on the COOLANT lines like DIP's site says to do. But the oil lines between the TD04 & T25 are the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in