So it begins, my first t7 viggen tune - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
JZW
Elder

So it begins, my first t7 viggen tune

Here is a few pulls on a stg 2ish viggen with stg 3 hw, good ic, intake and exhaust. T7 whooped me a little bit and I started at 5pm and finished at 5am. Converting binary files to S19 and then back kicked my a**!

I do like the viggen though, nice seats

here we go:

http://www.vidiac.com/video/0905e098...f700f457e9.htm

John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
JK
Elder

It took me several hours to do my first successful T7 flash, so don't feel bad.

What sort of BDM are you using John?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
JZW
Elder

Yea, the computer stuff is what took the time, not the actual tuning. Once I get rested, I will gather some more data and see if I can fine tune things a little more.

I use P&E usb multilink bdm, it only recognizes S19 files, so it dumps and flashes S19 only and the sw has to be Binary. So as you know you have to dump the file in S19, convert it to Binary, then make the changes, convert it back to S19, flash it back to the ecu and then go drive the car... Rinse, wash repeat

John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 08-13-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

isn't over 1.5 BAR of boost a bit more than a "stg 2-ish" tune? 1.5 Bar is about 21psi and you were spiking over that.

x-VWer:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via MSN to SAAB9-3USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by perkj View Post
isn't over 1.5 BAR of boost a bit more than a "stg 2-ish" tune? 1.5 Bar is about 21psi and you were spiking over that.
considering this is his first time. i will allow it .
Old 08-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
Elder

Cool.

Were those 4th maybe 5th gear pulls?
Old 08-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Yea, the car has large bar and plate IC, full 3" exhaust, intake. I am not sure what you call it, maybe I should go off the real boost gage instead of the apc gage since its an electrical map anyway. I saw that Nick's stage 3+ would berry the needle over at the end of the red and this car was 1/4-1/2 way, but I guess it does not matter, its not an accurate apc gage.

It was supposed to be a concervative stage 3 or high stage 2, I think it fits in there somewhere. In third gear it would spike to 21-22psi and fall back to 18psi or so and hold a while. It would on occasion hold a little more and the faster my speed, the more boost or airmass it would hold...

John
Old 08-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAB9-3USA View Post
considering this is his first time. i will allow it .
Thanks, I think there is a little more in it, but I want to be safe here and think it will adapt some more and might settle down on the boost a little bit. That video was made with about 10-15 adaptation pulls in cool air.

John
Old 08-13-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-the-kid View Post
Cool.

Were those 4th maybe 5th gear pulls?
Third and fourth, in 5th it would really hold about 1.4 bar for days at those speeds....

John
Old 08-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
You know you can make the gauge show whatever you program. You probably did not change it so that is still stock airmass numbers. Might work on getting the boost more stable. Any dyno runs before and after?

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 08-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Good job, hope it gets easier

Great work John, The video seems to show a real smooth response, especially for your first time. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #12
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
You know you can make the gauge show whatever you program. You probably did not change it so that is still stock airmass numbers. Might work on getting the boost more stable. Any dyno runs before and after?

Thanks Nick, yes I realize the apc gage is a electrical map and can be made to read whatever you want. I also noticed today when it was hot, the real boost gage would still come up to 1.5 bar, but the apc gage would only go to the yellow/red boarder, where as last night in the colder denser air, it was going a good 1/4 way in, that showed the difference in air density I think.

I asked the customer if he wanted the apc gage to read more into the red and he said he did not really care and not to spend any time on it...

I am anxious to dyno a few cars I have, but the local dyno is broken and they are waiting on a speed sensor or something. Kind of sux, I want to test my e85 ng900 and aero.

John
Old 08-13-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAERO View Post
Great work John, The video seems to show a real smooth response, especially for your first time. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Gary, yea I have the conversion programs working now, so the time to convert binary to S19 and back is minimal now, maybe 2 minutes. It was the figuring out how to get the program to work on my computer with xp, had some compatibility issues. Now that its up and working, that part has been taken care of.

Now I can spend my energy on the tuning. The a/f on this car was really nice, right between 11.8/1 to 12.2/1 and it felt pretty nice.

Did not hold as much airmass today at 92F and hot, but the guy wants a safe tune that is not too aggressive and I think I will leave the airmass request alone. Winter will be here soon and I am sure it will be holding nice airmass and making good power. Still on stock pistons this one...

John
Old 08-13-2008, 10:06 PM   #14
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
When you say it might get the boost more stable, do you mean the appearance of stable boost or could this actually make the real boost pressure more stable?

I was hitting it at rpm where it would peak pretty quick and hard, not like when I start a pull from 2500rpm and have it build more slowly and then peak later in the rpm.

John
Old 08-13-2008, 10:10 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
So does this mean that a T7 Suite is getting ready to make its debut?

Old 08-14-2008, 06:23 AM   #16
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
So does this mean that a T7 Suite is getting ready to make its debut?
Not sure! I should probably get the newest version and pay with it, see if we can have a bit of fun with Champ's Viggen or something.

I am sure they are working out the bugs and whatnot.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:25 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
I can't wait for it to come out. I wish I was one of the lucky few getting to play with the beta version before its full release. Even though I'm not doing any of the tuning and what not I still love going through the maps and understanding how everything is used together.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:57 AM   #18
JK
Elder

I had planned on doing a bit more, but the lack of being able to get a wideband working put a halt on things. I'll have my Innovate LC1 sometime today, so hopefully that will afford me the opportunity to do a bit more paying around with this type of thing.

I really did not feel comfortable doing it without any sort of data logging or Air/Fuel monitoring ability.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:21 AM   #19
JZW
Elder

I tell you, its not as easy as t5 and I would say its like t5 is arimitic and t7 is trig, then t8 must be calculous.... My spelling sucks...

Anyway, there are so many maps, its crazy and as soon as you think you have it and the air request is up, trionic has another map to bring it back down into spec. Many torque maps, boost maps, boost diagnostic maps, a ton of altitude maps, the list just goes on and on and on, its nuts.

John
Old 08-15-2008, 09:06 AM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
Quote:

Remember, T7 it Torque request. So it will boost as much as it needs to in order to make the right amount of torque, based on airmass & boost.

And JZW is a mile high in colorado where the air is thinner so 280whp will take more boost to make, compared to at sea-level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in