Saab Link Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbon Fiber/Kevlar Saab performance parts: Give your input here

27K views 282 replies 74 participants last post by  Tweek's Turbos 
#1 · (Edited)
Myself and another Saab gear head are starting to make CF parts for Saabs. We have some ideas as to parts, but want to get input from the Saab Community as to what you are all looking for. What we think is cool, you guys might think is a waste of time/effort/money.

As of now I'm not going to go into too much detail as to parts we are working on, and into very, very little detail as to prices. We will be happy to go into more detail as we get closer to releasing part to the public.
All parts will have some amount of customizability as far as visible material type. We have no plan to make any parts out of fiberglass with a CF or kevlar covering. If you want that, shop eBay, sorry. Due to this, our final prices will be higher than a cheap "CF" hood for a Civic, but we strive to keep our costs affordable for the consumer. But keep in mind that lightness costs money. :p

I would expect us to be ready to go public in 6-9 months. We want to have a whole range of performance parts ready for you before we start selling. We are not thinking of making these parts. We are making these parts. This isn't a "If there is enough interest" type of thing. We have already invested a signifcant amount of time and money in this venture. Have no fear, cool lightweight Saab parts are on the horizon.

So now it's up to you, the Saab gear heads. Let me hear your input and questions.

Edited section:

Models will originally be for the NG900 and OG 9-3s. We will expand as demand warrants.

See less See more
#7 ·
Maybe it would help to know what you guys have already thought of so suggestions could be made as to what you haven't thought of? ( Or I could just be digging for details about what you guys are making because I think this is awesome. I'm going to start saving now. ;) )

#8 ·
My question is, what are you going to do differently, or better than what Kevin Yankton has done for years before he quit?

I know the frustrations he had working with this material and the costs involved.

So I am interested to know the game plan.

Are you going to exceed his quality?

At the very least his quality of parts need to be met or exceeded.

#13 ·
My question is, what are you going to do differently, or better than what Kevin Yankton has done for years before he quit?

I know the frustrations he had working with this material and the costs involved.

So I am interested to know the game plan.

Are you going to exceed his quality?

At the very least his quality of parts need to be met or exceeded.
what a critic? stop humping kevins leg.... and be open to new ideas....
yes it is a nice comparison, but these guys haven't even released anything, just let them do it and see how it comes out before you start raging on them.

#39 ·
Now you're talking.

Grilles would be nice, but I'm sure that would be labor intensive.

Smaller, different style side mirror would be cool too. Again, they'd probably be pretty pricey.

I'll put in another vote for the roof spoiler.

#17 ·
im chill yo.. im just syaing. stop being negative. I want to see this thing work especially since I never even had a chance to get any og KY stuff.

just cuz KY didnt do it right doesnt mean these guys cant. It's been what 6 years? Im sure things in the industry have changed.

#19 ·
im chill yo.. im just syaing. stop being negative. I want to see this thing work especially since I never even had a chance to get any og KY stuff.

just cuz KY didnt do it right doesnt mean these guys cant. It's been what 6 years? Im sure things in the industry have changed.
the only thing thats changed is the cost of cf and kevlar since the government bought it all.

#24 ·
yes shut it shorty!!!

no i get what your saying and completly understand your pecimistic ways, as I use the same logic. butttttttt it might help if you do it in a more enthusiastic way not say " ohh hey KY did it and he failed, along with alot of other people" it kind of gives the vibe for them to not even try. and it's annoying...

#30 ·
If people are taking this seriously than none of my questions are invalid or not worth being mentioned.

I could care less if it annoys you.

I need to be a bit more enthusiastic for who, you?

I would love new vendors to come into this community. Its never a bad thing.

But your expectations of how I need to sound are a bit silly. Worry about yourself and not what I have to say about it.

If my points are invalid and questions are not worth answering than no one will answer them.

I appreciate WhiteyFoo looking at what I said.

I agree, KY's pcs have quite a bit of room for improvment. I have them on my car and would be happy to put a higher quality pc from someone else there in place of them. So leghumping comments in regards to my questions just seem juvenile.

#26 · (Edited)
I am fully aware of the limitations and difficulties in working with composite materials. I have been making smaller run items out of CF for a number of years now. It isn't easy by any means. But it isn't as dauntingly difficult as many eople believe. I have only seen a few of KY's finished pieces, and I think we are going to produce at least slightly higher quality pieces. Like it's been said, 6 years is a lot of time for advancements in the field.

A few of the parts we are either working on, or are in the planning stages are:
Hoods (stock, KY vented, our version of vented)
Fenders
lower Viggen bumper protector
Sunroof delete panel

A CF rear hatch will be very complicated to produce. Once we have a number of other items finished we may look into the feasability of it.

People are right to be pessemistic. I have seen all the people pop in on various forums with the idea to make CF parts, but falter once they realized it wasn't cheap, or easy. But like I said, we've invested loads of time and money so far, and don't intend to back down.

CF is expensive, and only going to get more so. Unless Honda and Nissan come out with their "mass produced" CF they promised.

Nick - I know Drew. Good guy. Bit of a Saab habbit though.

PS - Can't we all just get along?

#27 ·
Jameson: Let the guy who is starting the biz worry about the majority of the concerns you have brought up. We will see how it pans out for us when a few of us get products in our hands to see what it's all about.

whiteyfoo: Thank you for being so straightforward. I and I am sure many others look forward to what you come-up with.

#36 ·
This is the first idea I've heard that sounds worth a damn to be quite honest. I don't think there is more than 1-2 people who post on this forum who have even tried lighter seats or taken easy weight out of their car, let alone spent the crazy amounts of money on a CF hood for measily weight savings and royal pain in the ass installation. The most you usually see is some guy will get marginally lighter wheels and thats the end of weight savings.

9-3's are fat, FWD and handle quite poorly even when modified. Give me more options for protecting the car and/or expensive bodykit, or make products that will boost power or make that goal easier. I don't need any fancy wings or hoods or other BS. I purchased a Saab because it has understated good looks. I would love better skid plates and body protection. That would definatly make me want to spend money.

Just my opinion of course, but I hope that other feel the same way.

#37 ·
9-3's are not very portly at all when you look around at other cars :) 3000lbs for a euro/semi lux car is pretty good.

But yeah, I have a carbon fiber weave thats thin on 3m adhesive. I would like to see a direct fit Viggen bumper film that looks great and would take some abuse.

#41 ·
Start with simple items that will fit many cars. Get the quality in check and you reputation established. You might consider looking at 9-5s too. It seems like more and more people are picking those up. Maybe you can make some parts that work on both?

Personally, I don't know how many people would pay the high price for items such as fenders and other exterior panels. I'd start with interior/engine bay accent pieces and go from there.

#58 ·
I know the 9-5 isn't on your list yet, maybe it will be?

9-5 door pulls would be sweet, as well as some of the less likely areas. Like the trim around the sunroof switch and map light. Something that could carry the carbon into the back of the car as well. Accent pieces. Carbon fiber floor hatch handle cover for the wagon?

Either way, good luck with your business.
9-5 pulls is a good idea prolly easier and cheaper to make, and I think they fit the 9-3 ( at least it looks like they do when I look at my vig and 9-5s

#42 ·
If Kevlar and CF are too expensive to use then just use fiber glass. What were all after here is weight reduction, right? Or are some of us after that CF hood with no paint on it so anyone that knows anything about cf can look at it say wow! I have a FG front and rear bumper, duck tail, driver’s side door skin and it is almost impossible to tell that it's FG unless you handle it. Car weighs in at a tad over 2200. Sure Kevlar and CF are stronger and maybe a tad lighter if done properly, but there is no way I'm spending thousands of dollars on those materials for a Saab.
If these parts are indeed going to be produced at a price that "I" think I can afford then weather it's CF, kev or FG, I'm painted them as it's "my opinion" that these materials on a street car are tacky unpainted.
Just my 2 cents, and opionion only.
It is super easy to make aluminum skid plates that could mount under a viggen front bumper. I did it on my 911. Just buy a sheet of aluminum, take bumper off, scribe, cut and install. These can also be used as a splitter if one wants.
Just my 2 cents.

#54 ·
If Kevlar and CF are too expensive to use then just use fiber glass. What were all after here is weight reduction, right? Or are some of us after that CF hood with no paint on it so anyone that knows anything about cf can look at it say wow! I have a FG front and rear bumper, duck tail, driver's side door skin and it is almost impossible to tell that it's FG unless you handle it. Car weighs in at a tad over 2200. Sure Kevlar and CF are stronger and maybe a tad lighter if done properly, but there is no way I'm spending thousands of dollars on those materials for a Saab.
If these parts are indeed going to be produced at a price that "I" think I can afford then weather it's CF, kev or FG, I'm painted them as it's "my opinion" that these materials on a street car are tacky unpainted.
Just my 2 cents, and opionion only.
It is super easy to make aluminum skid plates that could mount under a viggen front bumper. I did it on my 911. Just buy a sheet of aluminum, take bumper off, scribe, cut and install. These can also be used as a splitter if one wants.
Just my 2 cents.
What car are you talking about with all of these FG parts?

CF unpainted doesnt always look tacky. ;)

But then again the point of my hood was to reduce weight, and I didn't pay an arm and a leg for it. I probably would have paid a decent price on a carbon fiber hood anyways though.

Good luck on your projects guys but in reality we have had threads posted like this before and nothing ever comes of it. If your going to make parts then just start doing it and people will buy them if they aren't crazy expensive. We all know how much carbon fiber costs now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.