Saab Link Forums banner

I want serious business parts like this...

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  JK 
#1 ·
Someone should make a mid sub frame brace like Flyin' Miata has:

I am thinking it would help w/ the "flexiness" of the NG900/OG9-3 chassis...

Thoughts?

Opinions?

Source and infoz: http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?dept=15

See less See more
#7 ·
IronJoe I agree on the convertible issue. But, it can help non-verts too!

Champ thanks for covering that one. I too have the 6-point. It is not a beefy thing that's for sure.

Topher also thanks for covering that one. I don't think a mid brace like that presents any fitment issues on a Saab.

To me as we all know the chassis on these cars is flexy anything helps. Heck you can even feel the simple 2-point subframe brace difference! Let alone the 6-point brace! Both are good products not knocking GS or Nick. Just that they are not all that beefy to begin with which I am sure there are reasons for. But, I think even so something for the middle of the car would certainly help as well.

#8 ·
I

To me as we all know the chassis on these cars is flexy anything helps. Heck you can even feel the simple 2-point subframe brace difference! Let alone the 6-point brace! Both are good products not knocking GS or Nick. Just that they are not all that beefy to begin with which I am sure there are reasons for. But, I think even so something for the middle of the car would certainly help as well.
You understand that there is more to it that making as strong as possible. You know how these cars crash right? Footwell intrusions are sort of a problem already. I know for certain that on my car I am not going to make more hazard! ;) That is a crushable part anyway.

#9 ·
Poking around the flying miata website...it looks like it's made out of 1/4" aluminum plate...Also, the side rails are a separate piece from the center butterfly brace. I'm not really sure how those cut down on the chassis flex as they are running along the axis it's twisting in the first place, and don't really stop flex. Unless they just provide another mounting point for the butterfly brace?

#11 ·
The Flyin' Miata guys make some great stuff for that car, no question. But some of that just doesn't translate to a larger, full-bodied car like a 9-3.

I got a ride in a Flyin' Miata turbo'd car, and well, it lived up to its name.

#18 ·
I doubt the squid bar is going to make a HUGE difference either.

As was already said, a cage that ties and braces the front strut towers to the unibody better would be pretty much the only thing that is going to make one of these Saabs "stiff." And that is not going to be a good thing to have on a non-track car. Also, its totally not needed for a non-track car.

If you want less flexy Swedish performance sedan go buy an S60R, that's my plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.