Saab Link Forums banner

Software OR Piggyback chip

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  MONSTAMUNCH 
#1 ·
Hi guys i noticed that u all install software on your cars and not a piggy back chip. Why? I would think that by sticking a chip on( unichip), you wuld be able to tune it way better on a dyno and set it up for the exact conditions. My Viggen is out of warranty so it makes no difference if they can see the chip. Opinions please :confused:

#6 ·
Unichips have there niche and it's not saab, etc. I had one in another car, the guys from unichip came down and tuned it on a dyno at a price of about 15,000. That's what they paid to have the motor rebuilt after the car melted a piston and fucked a few others bits on a dyno. The best part was that I got a better engine out of the deal, but waited months for it. Plus I was smart enough and they were dumb enough to sign a form I had provided stating if anything goes wrong that they are responsable. They were so damn cocky about it that when the engine let loose, I was pissed/shocked, but to hear them talk among one another, call their bosses explaining what had just happened was priceless.

#8 ·
Truth!

They switch to standalone for complete replacement of the stock system.

Piggybacks are the poor-mans half-assed attempt that makes them pay more later down the road when it causes damage and nets them little gains in HP/TQ along the way.

Do it it right up front: Get more HP/TQ and dependability too boot!

Sorry if i come off to harsh. I would just hate to see a Saab succumb to a ill informed decision.

#9 ·
Before this gets too far out of hand, I'd like to say that it would be cool if a piggy back could be made to work.

To the OP, get a copy of the Saab WIS (workshop information system) and start reading about how all the I/O parameters are checked and evaluated against one another. Plus look at the Ion Sensing functions.

By the time you could make it work, have everything faked/bypassed, you would probably be better off just ripping out everything and going stand alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.