Intake solution to TD04 on a NG? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Intake solution to TD04 on a NG?

So when I totaled the '96 I dumped some performance parts off it...included was the T5/T7 turbo inlet pipe from Genuine. Now I don't really want to buy another one of those (beautiful piece and worked well). I wanted to go more custom this time around.

So now that the '96 motor is in my '98, I need an intake solution. It has the viggen turbo still on it and the A/C compressor is removed so there is decently more room.

Anyone know what size of Silicone elbow I can fit now? I also forgot to measure the OD of the turbo inlet.

Thanks

edit: anyone know the specific DP bung I need for our o2's?

Last edited by Marks9-3; 08-04-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Easy way....get that pipe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
Easy way....get that pipe
lol, dammit no!

I'm thinking of some tubing and couplers like this. Just need to know the OD of the turbo inlet. Being that the car is at home and I am at work I can't run out to make sure I get the right size.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks900SE View Post
edit: anyone know the specific DP bung I need for our o2's?
Its an m18 std thread nut essentially. I just got two at napa for $3/ea.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
Its an m18 std thread nut essentially. I just got two at napa for $3/ea.
Thanks, I'm going to be doing the spacer mod to move the rear o2 out of exhaust flow (no cat on the Abbott Racing DP). Going to see if that does indeed stop the CEL.

Proably pick up 2 for when the wideband eventually is ordered.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Nick's top mount manifold?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 08-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
ERP
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to ERP
Here is my old setup with a TDO4 on my NG900. It's a 2.5" elbow with a 3" lip on the end. Worked really well, but requires some grinding of the aluminum intake to fit it. The pressure port gets in the way.

http://www.ericsaabsite.com/Upgrades.../PreTurbo.html

Quote:
I'm going to be doing the spacer mod to move the rear o2 out of exhaust flow (no cat on the Abbott Racing DP). Going to see if that does indeed stop the CEL.
Worked on my wife's 1.8T with a removed cat.
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
Old 08-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #8
a12

If your a/c is removed, I actually trimmed my engine mount down and have been able to fit a 3" 45 degree elbow on the gt28 inlet. I then route the intake into the passenger side inner fender. Keeps it away from all the engine heat and it's a short route with only 2 45 degree angles, (1) in the silicone elbow and then (1) in the aluminum tube I run the rest of the way. Also, you're better off runnind a hard high temp rubber elbow as they do not collapse under boost like the silicone ones can.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
Elder

For my brothers swap we just used a T7 intake pipe. It may not be the best and greatest performance upgrade, but it works.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Spoolin900SE
Hey ill be back up at school on Wed welding lips on all of my intake piping. We have the 18mm tap and maybe some stainless rod lying around to make one. The dp is stainless right?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:10 AM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin900SE View Post
Hey ill be back up at school on Wed welding lips on all of my intake piping. We have the 18mm tap and maybe some stainless rod lying around to make one. The dp is stainless right?
It is SS, I'll give ya call.

ERP, you saying the OD of the turbo inlet on a T7 TD04 compressor housing is 3"? Anyone else know if that is the fact?

Again I am at work and unable to get to it.

I do not want to use the stock T7 or the T5/T7 conversion pipe, as my A/C compressor is gone and I can fit something better.

A12:
Isn't your GT28 lowered a little bit from the stock location? I looked at the clearence and the engine mount bracket is in the way. I would have to lower the turbo about 2-3" and I would have a straight shot to the fender through that access panel.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #12
a12

Quote:
It is SS, I'll give ya call.

ERP, you saying the OD of the turbo inlet on a T7 TD04 compressor housing is 3"? Anyone else know if that is the fact?

Again I am at work and unable to get to it.

I do not want to use the stock T7 or the T5/T7 conversion pipe, as my A/C compressor is gone and I can fit something better.

A12:
Isn't your GT28 lowered a little bit from the stock location? I looked at the clearence and the engine mount bracket is in the way. I would have to lower the turbo about 2-3" and I would have a straight shot to the fender through that access panel.
Yeah I've got the genuinesaab spacer on and also a 1/2" spacer between turbo and manifold. You may need to trim down the engine mount bracket a bit to get the elbow on there. It's got plenty of extra meat on it. I like this intake solution because it allows the straightest path to the turbo and keeps the heat away from the intake piping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in