Add More Boost to high milage Viggen? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
TSLMember

Add More Boost to high milage Viggen?

I have a '01 Viggen with 125k. Am I stupid to even think about higher boost engine mods with this many miles? Engine is still strong with no problems. I am hesitent because of the three high milage, pre-GM 900 turbos I blew up in college. So what do you think? Anybody out there have a high milage boosted viggen?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Go for it. As long as you stay on top of the maintenance, you'll be fine. Make sure your MAF is good, and your head bolts were retightened...and you should be good to go.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
A lot of people here only begin to start tuning at 100+k miles. If you know the history of the motor and the day to day maintanence has been done, there will be no issues that your car could handle some more power.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #4

hell im at 160k stage 4 and i started at 120k.
go for it!!
Old 08-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Elder

No, go for it.

And hi from a few miles north of you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to szucman
yea i would def replace the headbolts and make sure you stay on top of your oil changes. oh and also make sure you have the new crank vent kit installed
Old 08-05-2008, 03:58 AM   #7
pfb
TSLMember

oh and by the way... 125k isn't "high mileage", it's nearing the end of the break-in period

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:20 AM   #8
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

That year viggen does not have the same issue with head bolts as earlier years do so don't worry about it. But if you must, you can re-torque them. I did on my 2002 and none were loose. You do not state how long you have owned the car, but if it was me, start with suspension first, then make sure is in perfect tune, no sludge, etc... Then get hardware like DP, exhaust, etc.. Then software and by that time maybe there will be more people selling T7 software for cheap.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Saabinduction Send a message via MSN to Saabinduction Send a message via Yahoo to Saabinduction
Welcome fellow Vermonter.

You wouldn't happen to have a BLACK 4 door viggen and work for the guards would you?
A few people think they may have spotted you lately. Swing by
https://saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30759 and let them know!

Make sure you swing by the new member section and say hello.
Oh, and pictures too. Elsewise we're inclined to think you drive a Hyundai.

Just kidding.

x2 on the go for it idea. I'm just starting and I'm at 109k now.

2003 9-5 Aero manual
2003 9-5 Linear auto
2003 9-3 Arc 6-Speed
1999 9-3 Base manual (Sold)

Last edited by Saabinduction; 08-05-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:50 AM   #10
TSLMember

I have had the car for about half a year now, have had the oil pan dropped to check for sludge and the pickup screan was clean as could be. I am thinking of getting Abbot Racings viggen rescue kit. But I need more boost the Viggen is starting to feel slow to me. Is the needle on a viggen suspose to go into the red. Most of the time mine dosen't even tickle the red?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2008, 05:14 AM   #11
Elder

What parts do you want? Come to me first, I've got some stage 3 bits that I'm going to be getting rid of.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #12
TSLMember

What kind of performance is stage 3 and what do you have? Is the stock viggen exaust free flowing enough for stage 3 stuff?
Old 08-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #13
Elder

I've got poly engine/trans mounts, steering rack clamp, nordic stage 3 ecu, 25 mm arb, cold air intake, MP FMIC, MP 3" Downpipe (stainless).

You interested in any of the above?

Old 08-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

Go for it 4DrViggen....what's the worst taht could happen? Blown engine that would allow for a rebuild with new forged pistons, perhaps some polishing and blueprinting of the head?????

As far as I know, you'll have to replace the exhaust with a 2.5" min. for stage 3....check with the ecu tweaker.

RED DIC's bits include an MP IC....that makes for stage 3+ with Nordic and all you'll need to add, with the exhaust, is a FPR.....see GS or Nordic.

Good luck and let us know what you do and how you like it. I love my stage 3+ Viggen...the car now is truly amazing!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #15
TSLMember

Ok, I'm a mechanic so I don't think I should have to ask these questions....but.....whats a 25 mm arb, and MP FMIC? Oh yeah and whats an FPR? Also can I change from a 2.5in. turbo back exause using the stock muffler and cat?
Old 08-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Tikka
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DrViggen View Post
Ok, I'm a mechanic so I don't think I should have to ask these questions....but.....whats a 25 mm arb, and MP FMIC? Oh yeah and whats an FPR? Also can I change from a 2.5in. turbo back exause using the stock muffler and cat?
ARB = anti-roll bar. It bridges the gap between the two rear wheels.

MP is a company and FMIC = front mount intercooler

FPR = Fuel Pressure Regulator

Quote:
Which is fine. Because another guy got hit by a deer. Yes, a deer ran into a man.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:41 AM   #17
TSLMember

Red DIC,

I am deff intrestered in some of the stuff you have.....where do you live?
Old 08-08-2008, 04:13 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Saabinduction Send a message via MSN to Saabinduction Send a message via Yahoo to Saabinduction
Red, the engine and transmission mounts.....would they work on a base 9-3?

Just a shot in the dark.......

2003 9-5 Aero manual
2003 9-5 Linear auto
2003 9-3 Arc 6-Speed
1999 9-3 Base manual (Sold)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in