Spec stage 3 clutch. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Spec stage 3 clutch.

...on the way Monday from the good people at GS.

I'm excited. Now I will be able to get FWDLOL wheelspin that much easier.

This should take care of the slipping issue I have...

Also, out of the people on here with these, has anyone had noise?

It is mentioned on the GS review section of the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Aero
Very nice.

You putting it in yourself? Think you'll have it done by the time I come up? I'd love to get a ride in your beast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

My exhuast is so loud and my car makes all kinds of other noises (strut bushing, door panel rattle, bov, etc) I can't tell you if I have any clutch related noises.

I am very happy with mine so far. Much easier to drive then the stg. 4 that was in there before (rivets sheared off on that one - at least I got to keep the spec pressure plate)

Old 08-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
I have that, with the Viggen pressure plate and I do get noise. I get the clatter like all 6-pucks, as well as some vibration noises when off the gas about 65. Very much worth it as I can pop the clutch at 3500 and it grabs just fine, which I accidentally did a few weeks ago resulting in lots of smoke.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
You putting it in yourself? Think you'll have it done by the time I come up? I'd love to get a ride in your beast.

Yes. I'm going to give it my best shot.

I'm actually thinking of starting monday or tuesday night for the trans removal.

My goal is to have it done, and broken in for the amery event.

Thanks for all the input so far.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

mine rattles like a b*tch! its like all the heatshields on the exhuast have fallen down and rattling away. when decelerating or on light throttle when the clutch is under very light load the shock springs rattle the plate back and forth making a right racket. plus i for some reason if i clutch kick it it just slips until i back off again i think ive just got myselfs a fairly duff one as noone else seems to have any problems. i think the flyhweel isnt helping either as it looked like it had highspots when it was last out not good for a brand new flywheel! anyhow back on topic.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
I'd love to get a ride in your beast.
x2

Good luck with the install
Old 08-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
I have this going in along with the billet flywheel this week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
TSLMember

ive got the stg 3 spec clutch and aluminum flywheel, and it chattered like a beeeotch for about the first 1000 miles and now seems to be a lot better. if your on flat ground or and incline, you got to rev to about 2000 rpm then let out the clutch or the chatter will be really bad. on a deline you can just let out and drive like a stg.2 or stock clutch. hope u like it, i needed it because the stg 2 was slipping over 3600 rpm with my JSP stg V ecu and other goodies
-Chris
Old 08-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

mine squeeks some times, like the sound of tires chirping. heel toe shifting is hard with it to. it been in there for about 10k miles. when i need to replace i think im going to use it again.

2001 Grand Cherokee Limited 60th ed.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to szucman
i have one sitting in my room...i really need to get it in this week or next week. my stock clutch is not doing its job very well...
Old 08-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I've also got it in my 900 w/the Viggen pp. Mine also rattles (when you let off the throttle). Its VERY grabby so be prepared for that.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #13
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Weird that it rattles...

Is that normal for 6 puck clutches?

As for the "grabby" part...my wife is going to hate that.

I already have to warn her when I get on the gas.

Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #14
JZW
Elder

Yea, they make noise when you decelerate, its just part of having an aggressive clutch. I was told it has to do with the heavier springs in the disk and mine definetely makes a rattling noise when off the gas from about 3500 down to 2500rpm and then it is gone below that rpm. If I want it to be quiet, I run in a higher gear so I am below 2500rpm. Its very quiet then

The grabby part gets better with some mileage and there is an art to giving it a little more gas and letting the clutch out just right to avoid the grabby part. Once you get the hang of it, the grabby part can be avoided.

Mine has light flywheel and spec stage 3 clutch, grabby, takes more gas for light flywheel and it takes some getting used to for sure. Everytime I have let someone try to drive it, they stall it out a few times before they get the hang of it.

John
Old 08-04-2008, 03:13 AM   #15
Elder

The grabby part sucks the most in city traffic or when you have to parallel park. Otherwise normal driving isn't that bad. Just be thankful you don't have a cable clutch

Old 08-04-2008, 05:42 AM   #16
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
The rattle is usually loose input shaft bearings. On a new gearbox it does not do it. On a bit worn out gearbox yo will get the rattle when the shafts are unloaded. This is because you must run stiffer hub springs in the disk with the higher torque capacity.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 08-04-2008, 05:45 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
The box was pulled from the car last Friday. Its going to be cracked today so I will know the damage.

I could be driving the car before the end of the week, hopefully breaking in the clutch soon so I can report my findings.

I will have to learn the car all over again.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:58 AM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
The rattle is usually loose input shaft bearings. On a new gearbox it does not do it. On a bit worn out gearbox yo will get the rattle when the shafts are unloaded. This is because you must run stiffer hub springs in the disk with the higher torque capacity.
No doubt mine is pretty worn thanks to constant abuse. Replaced a toasted pass side motor mount last week and the seriously worn axles all of a sudden were a lot more obvious...

Old 08-04-2008, 06:17 AM   #19
Elder

Palmer, do the rear main seal (behind the flywheel) if it hasn't been done recently, shift shaft selector seal etc... also it a great time to get the flywheel lightened or at the least resurfaced.
Build yourself an engine support beam or get your car to a lift. Its a big job and not much fun. You only want to do it once!

Old 08-04-2008, 06:19 AM   #20
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

You read my mind about the flywheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in