Stg. III Viggen Boost - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
TSLMember

Stg. III Viggen Boost

Okay, so Chriscam84 and I have posted multiple times about my 99 Viggen's obvious boosting issue. Since I don't currently have a "real" boost gauge, I can only say that it only boosts about halfway into the yellow, but never into the red.

Is there anything anyone can think of as to what it may be so I can just make a giant list and check everything imaginable. I am correct in assuming that a Stg 3 should be boosting fully into the red? Since I've never actually ridden in any other tuned Viggen, I have nothing to compare too.

Right now I can hold my own against Chriscam84's 9-5 Aero (Though he'll neeever admit to it) but should I be going faster still? Any help, ideas, recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

-Kris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do Work!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Elder

Stock SW should boost right to red. My dad's 9-3SE did what yours is doing and a new MAF sensor and spark plugs fixed that right up

My buddy's stage 3 ng900 boosted to the end of red. Not sure if that is relevant.

EDIT:
Check your BPC, someone made a thread on how to clean the t7 bpc.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Bpc

^CLICK ME^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 07-31-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
A stock car should not have boost IN the red, it should be towards the end of yellow before the black line that splits into red.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to aero93
^ i agree

Old 07-31-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB View Post

My buddy's stage 3 ng900 boosted to the end of red. Not sure if that is relevant.
It's not. It's a T5 car compared T7.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to szucman
yea i agree. with stock software mine only boosted to near the end of the yellow. i have nordic stg 3 now and depending on temperature it will boost a little bit into the red at most. the middle of yellow seems a bit low for stg 3, you should pobably get a boost gauge if you can for a more accurate reading.

heres some things to check:

i would first try resetting the ecu and readapt it
check all vacuum lines and charge lines including the ic
check your sparkplugs
check boost control valve
check wastegate actuator
check bypass valve
check maf
Old 07-31-2008, 09:25 PM   #8
TSLMember

Thanks for all the quick replies everyone, I'll check it all out tomorrow. I think Chris has a boost gauge we can hook up.

So middle of the yellow is low then? I should be expecting more of a Stage 3?

Do Work!
Old 07-31-2008, 11:03 PM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
Quote:
Originally Posted by szucman View Post
heres some things to check:
>>i would first try resetting the ecu and readapt it
Done and redone.

>>check all vacuum lines and charge lines including the ic
Inspected vac lines (no leaks), need to inspect IC lines

>>check your sparkplugs
changed with correct NGKs (and gapped)

>>check boost control valve
Tested with the one out of my Aero

>>check wastegate actuator
Tested with a vacuum tester, held 25psi no problem

>>check bypass valve
Replaced

>>check maf
Tested with the one out of my Aero

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Old 07-31-2008, 11:27 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
I know on my OG9-3 SE HOT AUtomagic I boosted on a stock gauge with stock S/W right into a sliver of red.

You have to remember that the stock boost gauge is only a vague guide and is speculative at best.

Have you checked your throttle body to ensure that its not in LIMP HOME MODE?? Also you may want to check your wastegate to ensure its functioning right as well as your Recirculation Valve.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:52 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to SAAB9-3USA
I say check the TB
Old 08-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #12
lms

What stage 3 SW do you have? Have you put stock ecu back in as a test or does the stock ecu have the new files? How does it run overall?
Go down to partse stor and pick up a cheap presssure gauge for 10 bucks and route it through window to test psi. What octane? How old is dic? Does cel work?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:27 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
It's not. It's a T5 car compared T7.
Your both partially right and wrong.

That stock dash gauge on the ng900/og9-3 is computer controlled and can be set to show whatever range you want by a Tech II. So you could have all the way to the end of the red as 5psi if you really wanted to.

However if both dash gauge settings were not changed then yes this could be relevant in comparison regardless of the T5 vs. T7 and show something isn't right with this viggen which is pretty obvious.

Check the plugs, MAF, DI, BPC, vacuum lines, and the wastegate actuator as well as were the base boost is set.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
That stock dash gauge on the ng900/og9-3 is computer controlled and can be set to show whatever range you want by a Tech II. So you could have all the way to the end of the red as 5psi if you really wanted to.
X2 After putting in the TD04 in my brothers NG, while boosting to about 18PSI the needle has flown past the end of the red on the gauge.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehayes01 View Post
I know on my OG9-3 SE HOT AUtomagic I boosted on a stock gauge with stock S/W right into a sliver of red.

You have to remember that the stock boost gauge is only a vague guide and is speculative at best.

Have you checked your throttle body to ensure that its not in LIMP HOME MODE?? Also you may want to check your wastegate to ensure its functioning right as well as your Recirculation Valve.
Replaced the BPV and checked the LHM when he first got it, I'll check it again though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAB9-3USA View Post
I say check the TB
^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
What stage 3 SW do you have? Have you put stock ecu back in as a test or does the stock ecu have the new files? How does it run overall?
Go down to partse stor and pick up a cheap presssure gauge for 10 bucks and route it through window to test psi. What octane? How old is dic? Does cel work?
Its Nordic stage III, DI is brand new (thanks to me letting him use my spare). He uses 91-93 octane exclusively (getting harder and harder to find 93 around here). CEL works and sometimes comes on after a few hundred miles, pulled the code and it points to the 2nd o2 sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Your both partially right and wrong.

However if both dash gauge settings were not changed then yes this could be relevant in comparison regardless of the T5 vs. T7 and show something isn't right with this viggen which is pretty obvious.

Check the plugs, MAF, DI, BPC, vacuum lines, and the wastegate actuator as well as were the base boost is set.
Checked all of the above, will check the base boost readings next time he's down.

-Chris (the resident Viggen mechanic)

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900S Convertible
Old 08-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
I am guessing he has an after market downpipe and the code you get is a P0331 or something similar. The 2nd O2 sensor code can be fixed with an anti fouler put in the bung on the DP and then put the O2 sensor in. This will keep it far enough out of the exhaust trail to not trip the sensor off.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehayes01 View Post
I am guessing he has an after market downpipe and the code you get is a P0331 or something similar. The 2nd O2 sensor code can be fixed with an anti fouler put in the bung on the DP and then put the O2 sensor in. This will keep it far enough out of the exhaust trail to not trip the sensor off.
Yup, 3" aftermarket DP.

That makes perfect sense Steve, now tell me more about this anti-fouler.

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900S Convertible
Old 08-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #18
Elder

This is essentially what you get when you put one on........ most parts stores carry them.....

Old 08-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #19
TSLMember

Well if they changed the boost gauge base to read different then yea would read what you want. Me i have the 01 93 SE with the SMBC and it will boost past red if i want but it also trips into limp home mode aswell every now and then. all i do is turn key off let engine die wait about 3 seconds and im good it will kick out of limp mode and run fine. Is it a t-7???
Old 08-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Saab93 View Post
Well if they changed the boost gauge base to read different then yea would read what you want. Me i have the 01 93 SE with the SMBC and it will boost past red if i want but it also trips into limp home mode aswell every now and then. all i do is turn key off let engine die wait about 3 seconds and im good it will kick out of limp mode and run fine. Is it a t-7???
You have it set too high, its called fuel cut. Back it down a little
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in