Custom Vig exhaust - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Custom Vig exhaust

Made a "loud" exhaust for the Viggen..
It is convertible so that the rear muffler can be swapped with a straight pipe/stock tip in a min or so. All 3in Stainless tig welded. I know it is worthless without sound. will get video once get some more fuel in it.

Looks stock, reused a stock tip off a rusted out muffler.

Hooks up to standard V3(v2 etc) downpipe with a cat. got to be green(ish)

Decent size center resonator to keep it civil.

rear "race" pipe

Finally the road trip muffler with Vband quick connect. So we can make it to SOC sanely.

you can see bigger ones here: http://genuinesaab.com/gallery/CustomExhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Elder

the vband on the rear muffler is actually something i'd planned on doing to the exhaust on my 95 once i get the motor in. glad to see it works so well
Old 07-31-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
SAAB Road Master

love the use of the stock tip, very clean and i can't wait to hear it
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 07-31-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Thats cool.

I have been intrigued by the idea of using an electric cutout.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
That 3 inch exhaust would be an awsome catalog option................especially if you could reproduce viggen tips to go with it.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
JK
Elder

Looks nice Nick!

I have a slip disconnect for my Aero and a mufflerless length of pipe to replace the muffler as well, but its too much of a PITA to swap out on a regular basis, the V-band looks the business though!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:34 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Elmo
do want

Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Nick,

What does the back pressue numbers look like with that exhaust? I'd be very interested to see how it stacks up to your previous test that showed the 2 3/8" Remus/Viggen Sport exhaust outperformed the JT 3" system.

Would be interested in seeing the numbers both with & w/o the muffler on the back.

x-VWer:

Old 07-31-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Next time it is on the dyno I will test that.
seems to make about the same airmass curve as when the dp is open.
Runs1 and 2 are remus / open DP after the "v2" reducer pipe on the other turbo. Seems about the same feeling now.

It is so stupid on street tires. been thinking about going back to the smaller turbo and 400whp.

Also we are quite a bit higher power than before.. Until this last upgrade past 400whp opening the Dp had little effect. Now it seems to be influential.

|
|

Old 07-31-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
JK
Elder

I was always wondering at what point you would begin to see a bottleneck from the smaller exhaust. That right there pretty much seems to sum it up
Old 07-31-2008, 02:06 PM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to saab4life93t
nick what would this cost to make?? i have a mint viggen muffler w/ tip i could send you to put on it... looking forward to hearing how it sounds...
2002 viggen current

Old 07-31-2008, 02:18 PM   #12
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab4life93t View Post
nick what would this cost to make?? i have a mint viggen muffler w/ tip i could send you to put on it... looking forward to hearing how it sounds...
Too much..

|
|

Old 07-31-2008, 03:23 PM   #13
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Next time it is on the dyno I will test that.
seems to make about the same airmass curve as when the dp is open.
Runs1 and 2 are remus / open DP after the "v2" reducer pipe on the other turbo. Seems about the same feeling now.

It is so stupid on street tires. been thinking about going back to the smaller turbo and 400whp.

Also we are quite a bit higher power than before.. Until this last upgrade past 400whp opening the Dp had little effect. Now it seems to be influential.
You could just lower the airmass.... No need to go to a smaller turbo like the gt2871 that spools up slower. Also: the .86 ar turbine does smooth it out some, but you could just lower the airmass so it does not hit quite so hard or just re-map it all together to keep the air mass lower down low and until after the torque peak, then bring it back in and up in the high rpm.

It does seem to just get silly when the tires are breaking loose at 75-80mph and the car is thinking about changing lanes on its own... Its fun and exciting, but as you said, a little rediculous.

I just lower my boost to 20psi when I want to take it easy and have fun with full control of the car... Sure makes a huge difference....

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in