Just a days work - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Elder

Just a days work

finally got my hands on nicks intake pipe, along with some new speakers to replace my blown out one, and some new Hawk pads finally too. Heres the pictures.

before

pipe comparison

after

painted this bracket and the heat shield

after after...

blown speaker

new speaker

modded speaker bucket to accomadate wiring

in the door

and thats all...gonna do the pads tomorrow...maybe debadge, not sure. also prolly throw in some new plugs for posterity since they probably have like 20k on them although i cant remember.

new speakers are awsome, really good base and power handling, the side mirrors shake now and no more rattles whatsoever. intake pipe definetly gave more low end response, first gear spins if im not light on the go pedal.

after tomorrow all focus is on the honda, big race day at raceway park on the 16th...

in the door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Aero
Looking good!

How's the Honda been?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
Elder

its good...running well but burning a little oil, not sure if at this point he rings are on the way out or if its because i have zero crank vent system which could cause some serious blowby.

goin for broke on drag radials in 2 weeks tho.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Elder

Cool. Does the intake pipe make that big of a deal?

You should debadge it. I think the viggen looks great that way.

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Nice! Whats involved with swapping out the door speakers? I've got a couple blown ones too.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Elder

real simple...took like 20 minutes to do both in all honesty.

torx locations here
http://www.kolumbus.fi/richard.bevan...b93/index.html

then lift door panel off, then remove the whole speaker carrier with 3 torx, then pull off foam on edge and remove 4 screws holding the speaker in, and reverse. if you are using aftermarket you have to cut off the factory plug to do the wiring and just stick on some spade connectors. my buddy is an installer at best buy so that took like 3 seconds for him to do for me with his cool little tools.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
SAAB Road Master

I got those exact same speakers and installed them today as well! It was a simple install, until I cracked the door handle housing on the drivers door. Was able to put a washer in and works so far...

They do have a nice sound and are a worthwhile upgrade for $55.

I just did a direct swap, why did you need the speaker bucket?

I forgot the foam on the second one I did - is it really needed?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #8
Elder

the bucket was the factory piece...the window came rediculously close to the speaker without it.

now my window is messed up for some other reason and its groaning and shit because some asshole that was at my friends house decided to pour beer on my car

Old 07-30-2008, 03:25 AM   #9
Elder

The window clearance was something else that I was curious about. Whats the depth on those infinitys?

Old 07-30-2008, 04:47 AM   #10
SAAB Road Master

Infiniti makes a 6022 si which is the shallow version

My windows work fine - just got lucky as I didn't even check when I put them in...
Old 07-30-2008, 05:49 AM   #11
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Elmo
notice any difference with the intake pipe? at least sound wise?

Old 07-30-2008, 05:54 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
The intake pipe isn't for sound.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:02 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red DIC View Post
The intake pipe isn't for sound.
I find there is a slight noise increase as the larger diameter pipe amplifies sound a bit. Its nothing like adding an intake to a stock car though which is NOT a power modification in comparison to the pipe which IS.

I noticed slightly quicker spool and better response overall.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:02 AM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
yes its a shit ton louder, and now spins in first quite easily...think its not sealed tho, getting tons of extra backfires.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:04 AM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
yes its a shit ton louder, and now spins in first quite easily...think its not sealed tho, getting tons of extra backfires.
Easy first gear wheelspin is something a Viggen should be use to bone stock.

You should be spinning them in 2nd gear at 40+mph in the dry now

Old 07-30-2008, 06:29 AM   #16
Elder

eh, my cars has never been 100% power wise. it was slow as balls on the stock ic, then got way better with the ets. seems a little slower now with the pipe, but the boost is a tad lower, which is understandable so ill see what adapting does...plus i agree with what nick said on sc, that the pipe may not be seated 100 straight which is causing the backfires and some extra intake noise.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #17
Elder

Did you remember to put the big o-ring on the new pipe before you installed it?

Old 07-30-2008, 06:45 AM   #18
Elder

Quote:
eh, my cars has never been 100% power wise. it was slow as balls on the stock ic, then got way better with the ets. seems a little slower now with the pipe, but the boost is a tad lower, which is understandable so ill see what adapting does...plus i agree with what nick said on sc, that the pipe may not be seated 100 straight which is causing the backfires and some extra intake noise.
Yeah. The noise increase is MINIMAL. You hear the downpipe and spool about 10% more. Thats IT. So that might be a clue.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:01 AM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
Did you remember to put the big o-ring on the new pipe before you installed it?
yes the o-ring is there for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Yeah. The noise increase is MINIMAL. You hear the downpipe and spool about 10% more. Thats IT. So that might be a clue.
well i dont have a dp. the spool is the noise i hear thats why im unsure if theres a leak, the bpv is also quite loud now, but the backfires are out of the exhaust and not like popping out under the hood or anything like that.

ills ee what the re adapt does. nowi need to deal with the sticking window that appeared last night and the nice heatshield i painted that just bubbled already. guess 500 degree paint isnt good enough.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:02 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:
yes the o-ring is there for sure

ills ee what the re adapt does. nowi need to deal with the sticking window that appeared last night and the nice heatshield i painted that just bubbled already. guess 500 degree paint isnt good enough.
I think I used 1200 degree and mine has never bubbled after 2 years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in