Saab Link Forums banner

Guages...

2K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  lms 
#1 ·
what are some guages you have or think should be on a tuned car, im going to start doing my own tunning and want to be safe with it.

Boost/vac
EGT
oil press.
oil temp.
A/F
anything else?

and what should the min and max be for the guages?
boost/vac +30/-30 as of now im not planning on going over 30psi.
EGT 1600*F ????
oil press. 100psi oil pressure let off is 80psi.
oil temp. 140*-280* or 140*-340*F

#4 ·
well i have 6 spots to fill

i have...
boost
oil press

im getting...
WB a/f
EGT
oil temp.

i didnt know what temp ranges to get for botht he egt and oil temp.

how could i hook up a fuel pressure sensor to the stock rail?

#6 ·
#7 ·
I have 2 on the pillar and plan on dropping 2 down by the little tray thing below the climate controls with that neato thing that one guys makes...

anyway, I agree, WBAFR, EGT, Boost, Oil Press. thats what I am going for...

#8 ·
Troof.

Anything more is a Christmas tree.

Jonny, oil temp is almost useless because the main cause of high oil temp will be high EGTs, which are tied to the AFR....both of which you're going to be measuring.

There are a couple other things that might work: post-filter intake air temps and charge air temps from the manifold (for figuring out IC efficiency, heat soak, and knowing to gauge when the car will pull back timing)

#11 ·
Way over-kill. Put the boost guage in the light switch and buy a pod from GS that fits right and then mount the wide band which will put you back around 400 bucks or so depending on what kit you get. Then either put the oil pressure guage or an egt guage in the other. I have all sorts of these devices but once my car was set I leave them at home. If I think I may have a problem then it takes 20 miuntes to hook up my lm-1, etc..

#14 ·
i do not what to move my light switch.

so someone who can read the questions...
is 140-340*f good for oil temp?
and is 1600*f good for EGT?

byastremski...
did you do this? would you know where i could get the fittings to make it work?

#15 ·
The stock range for the egt in the sw, read by o2 sensor estimates and the stock operating range of the saab engine is 900F to 1795F.

Stock turbos are know to get well into the high 1600 range and when pushed hard, into the 1700's is not unheard of.

I thought Nick said oil temp of over 200F had been read, but I can't remember for sure.

The only way to put a fpg on the set-up is to splice into the delivery fuel line, it sucks! One good thing is every bad fuel pump I have had showed lean a/f and if the car stops going below 14.0/1 under wot, there is a problem and its always been a weak fuel pump in my experience.

I have been through 5 fuel pumps on my 4 saabs and twice I have gotten bad walbro insert pumps out of the box... They would go to 17.5/1 under wot:shock: I would pull them back out of the fuel tank, exchange them out and whalla, back into the mid 11's.....

John

#17 ·
Just my opinion..
Having a 500Hp Vig there is almost no way you can look at the gauges at full power.. what you need is logging with conditional alarms. (Ex leaner than x at y boost and greater than z% throttle.) This can be done with the innovate system.

Anything else put it in the glovebox like Ed Smith on his 2.5L Viggen.. That way driver drives and copilot watches the data.

#20 ·
Pretty sure Nick uses an innovate and he might even sell them. I have one as well as john and many others. There are pretty much the best on the market, and have great forum as well. Do your homework when you purchase one as the innovate can log all sorts of things if you get the right connections like egt's, map, injector duty cycle, boost, cht, etc...

#22 ·
I have this kit:

LM-1 RPM Kit (LMA-2)The RPM Kit ($429) is comprised of the basic kit plus the LMA-2 Auxiliary Input Cable. This cable contains a circuit to convert a tach signal into an analog RPM singal that can be logged by the LM-1. This cable also has 4 additional terminal screws to tap into and log other sensors in your vehicle.
Kit Includes: LM1, RPM Converter (Aux Input #2), Bosch 5-wire Wideband 02 Sensor, Analog Output Cable, 10ft. Sensor Cable, 10ft. Power Cable (Cig), 6ft. Serial Cable for PC Connection, Bung/Plug Kit, Software CD, and Quick Start Guide.

#25 ·
I have an autoenginuity , but it does not log data fast enough. I also plug it in and check iat, fuel trim, etc and it does help.. But it does not come close to the lm1.
If you are going to tune your own car, you have to get a wideband ,and if you are a do it your selfer then the post above is a inexspensive way that works.
Good luck

#24 · (Edited)
If you're into DIY these work really well: http://www.14point7.com/JAW/JAW.htm and they're not expensive. It uses the same Bosch LSU 4.2 probe that most of the name brand units use (like Innovate for example: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16134&cat=0&page=1)

You can use one of the configurable outputs to drive a standard narrowband gauge with a spanned wideband signal.

An OBD interface won't give you what you're looking for in regards to EGT and wideband signals.

edit: Steve Hayes turned me on to this kit and it's doing a GREAT job for dialing in my modded RX-7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.