Saab Link Forums banner

Turbo upgrades (capable power)

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Jack Straw 
#1 ·
I was looking at the various turbos today, and the T3 off of my SPG looks a LOT bigger than the TD04 off of a viggen.

Now, looking at compressor maps, it looks like the T3 is a more capable turbo that will flow more air and make more power. Am I reading these maps right?

TD04

T3

Has anyone put a T3 onto a NG900 as an upgrade?

See less See more
#5 ·
I was looking at the various turbos today, and the T3 off of my SPG looks a LOT bigger than the TD04 off of a viggen.

Now, looking at compressor maps, it looks like the T3 is a more capable turbo that will flow more air and make more power. Am I reading these maps right?

Has anyone put a T3 onto a NG900 as an upgrade?
I case you did not notice the x-axis is does not have the same unit in these maps, ie. the 15 is not lb/min divided by 100... Could be kg/s which add upp to real life values (210-220g/s). 0.2kg/s = 210g/s =27.8lb/min.

A plain T3 I would not go with, but a T3/T4 hybrid is good ~400bhp.

#10 ·
Amish, I believe there are people who have swapped between T3 and TD0415t on 9000s, both 2.0 and 2.3. In every instance the TD04 was considered the much betterturbo in terms of feel.

From what I have heard, and top end gains from the standard T3 or grossly offset by how shitty the spool is. I have not heard of anyong sticking with the standard T3 in those scenarios.

As others have noted, a T3/T4 would be a worthy upgrade, only problem being the lack of T3 manifold for the ng900/og9-3

#12 ·
Oh, I agree, a T3/T4 upgrade would be very worthwhile and much more bang for your buck if going for more than Stage 4/5 power (GT30 territory).

There are T25 to T3 adapters http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car...hash=item150274729562&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1318

I was just shocked at how much larger the T3 is compared to the TD04, which is why I brought up the question.

With a $45 adapter, one could easily upgrade a GT17 or T25 to a T3 for cheap.

People talked about laggy spool, what makes the 2.0 C900 able to spool the T3 so low vs the T3 on a 9000 or NG900?

#17 ·
Delorean made over 300ft/lbs to the wheels with his T3 running absurd boost at a dyno day last year but IIRC it was only like 230~whp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.