Saab Link Forums banner

the b234 build offically started

993 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mcrowley 
#1 ·
well i have had my b234 for about a year now and have been tinkering here and there but my b204 is no more due to an oil cooler hose... i have ordered most of the parts for the rebuild accept for pistons ive decided to go JE and is it really worth while to get the top skirt coating and i dont really plan on changing the bore but what do people recommend?? the 90.0mm, 90.5 first over, or 91mm second over...TIA

#2 ·
can only really coment on the over bore... basicaly if the orginal bores are withing tolerance and not too worn then its best to leave it at 90mm. even with my 200,000mile b234 it was still in tolerance although had worn a little up the top of the bore.

#3 ·
I can't comment on the coating, thats really your call and is based on your power goals.

Just wanted to add to brightmans comments that the b234 I rebuilt with 150K had very little wear. I just had it honed, and I was good to go. I or my machinist could not feel a wear ridge.

You'll have to decide (if its not needed) if the extra expense in having it bored is worth the small amount of displacement.

Tboy

#4 ·
Mine too, had it checked and the bore showed little to no wear and was at the bottom of the wear scale, just honed it and slapped in new pistons.

I have the coatings and not sure if they are worth it, but they are supposed to help the heat transfer and less detonation and the side ones have less friction and are what nascar race engines use...

You would have to test with and without to see if there was a difference.

John

#6 ·
yeah i was pretty unsure if i should get the coating or not so if i do it i want to do it right... does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions before i start my build??

do i need to use the 9k tensioner for the surp belt or can i use the one from my b204?

#8 ·
I don't think the coatings will make enough of difference that you would really be able to notice much. They are supposed to have less friction and dissipate the heat better, but who really knows how well these things work.

I think you would be just fine with the pistons, no coatings. The coatings are extra window dressing:cool:

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.