Balance Shaft Delete? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to sethrman
Balance Shaft Delete?

I was looking at the Balance Shaft Tensioner Delete on Genuinesaab http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...5ec24cbe9cb159 and was wonder what the point of this would be. It's only 20 bucks so it cant be anything to great but why would i want to delete the balance shaft?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Elder

free up horsepower, make engine rev faster. your engine will vibrate more, but i doubt you'll much notice it if you have the stock motor mounts.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to saab4life93t
from what i hear its a better alternative than running a lightened flywheel on and unbalanced motor...
2002 viggen current

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:34 AM   #4
pfb
TSLMember

really? cause i sure love the lightened flywheel i put on my viggen... well, the one i paid to HAVE put on my viggen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:10 AM   #5

Like Castor Troy said, the engine will rev more freely because you are reducing the rotational mass.

People say it is like a lighter flywheel.

I've had the balance shafts out on a rebuild, and they are not much more than 3-4 lbs each. Factor that times two, plus the mass associated with the chain, and pulleys.

Tboy
Old 07-24-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to sethrman
Thanks for the info. How easy of a job is it to do?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #7
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Here is my opinion.. On a 2.0 do it. No reason not to. If it is a 2.3 then it gets a little more complicated. The B234 seem to be fine without it however the B235 seem to vibrate more.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 07-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Spoolin900SE
Not easy really. You have to pull off your timing cover which requires removal of pretty much all of your accessories, pain in the ass tension/alternator mount, balancer and oil pump. I unbolted my engine mounts to be able to raise and lower the engine to make it easier. Dont know if it is possible with doing so. If you can do all that it is easy. Unbolt the chain tensioner, remove the chain, and install to block off plate being sure to clean bolt side of the threads and use high strength loctite.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
Elder

yeah, i probably wouldnt attempt it with the motor in the car. doable? yes. easy? no
Old 07-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #10
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Here is my opinion.. On a 2.0 do it. No reason not to. If it is a 2.3 then it gets a little more complicated. The B234 seem to be fine without it however the B235 seem to vibrate more.
I agree, my 2.0 motor was not bad at all on vibration, but my 2.3 motor with poly mounts and no balance chain does vibrate a good bit at idle, my mirrors buzz, my grill buzzes and I am on my second head light assembly that has vibrated loose.

Car runs well and I like the power, but there is a vibration trade-off and its mostly at idle. Eric hated it so much he put the balance chain back in his 2.3 motor and stated it was really noticable with the power, being it felt a good bit slower once he put the balance chain back in the car, but the vibration was gone and that made him happy.

John
Old 07-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
I'll be doing this when I swap the motor from my 96 to the 98.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #12

The B234 I built is for my WIFE, and naturally it has functional balance shafts!

Tboy
Old 07-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #13
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
I agree, my 2.0 motor was not bad at all on vibration, but my 2.3 motor with poly mounts and no balance chain does vibrate a good bit at idle, my mirrors buzz, my grill buzzes and I am on my second head light assembly that has vibrated loose.

Yes.

On cold MN mornings, it's a nightmare.

One headlight bracket is starting to shake too. Awesome.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #14
SAAB Road Master

what exactly is the amount of HP released by this? just out of curiosity.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:38 PM   #15
Editor
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
doable? yes. easy? no
I've seen this done twice now, both times engine came out of the car. Would be a nightmare with it in.

I'm sorry, I don't know how it would be possible to finnagle the timing cover off then get it back on without disturbing the head gasket, and making a nice seal again. I think it would leak. Then again, maybe there's some secret method I'm not familiar with. I'm just saying that looking at the dimensions, I don't think it's possible.

I took my engine out to do it and as a result the entire thing is a dry as a bone.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93nut View Post
what exactly is the amount of HP released by this? just out of curiosity.
The engine does not make any more power, it just has less mass to accelerate. Its the same effect as getting lighter wheels.

Tboy
Old 07-29-2008, 08:38 PM   #17
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Spoolin900SE
Yeah you have to really want it with the engine in and head on. If you pull out the alternator you can sneak it in from the backside of the engine, with the engine mount disconnected and jacked all the way up. Then you just have to worry about getting in it with RTV still on it. Easiest way is too loose up you oil pan a bit.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #18

In the process of deleting it on my 9000:
https://saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28125&page=3

My best options were to lift engine to have easy access or 2nd best to remove the passenger side wheel well liner.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:54 PM   #19
TSLMember

I did it with the head on, oil pan off, both front mounts disconnected, and the engine jacked as far sideways as the drive shafts would allow.

You dont have to remove the passenger drive shaft/alternator block, but you do have to unbolt it from the block.

In my opinion, its not worth the effort unless your already down there, or have the engine out.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #20
JZW
Elder

Yup, I would not do it unless you need to drop the oil pan anyway. Before I started tuning, I dropped the oil pan to clean the pick-up screen, it was 60% blocked, so glad I did! I then replaced the front crank seal, inspected the oil pump gears and replaced the oil pump O-ring. I then just cut the balance chain with my handy dremal tool and pulled the chain through the bottom with vice grips. Tensioner and all pieces still inside the timing cover.

If I ever do replace the timing chain or need to pull the timing cover off again, I will remove balance chain tensioner and put the plug on it.

Felt like light flywheel to me....

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in