Thoughts on SQR stage 4 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Thoughts on SQR stage 4

How do you guys feel about SQR tuning? I live driving distance from automotion and I've been thinking about taking a trip to get tuned... are they decent in comparison to Nordic/Maptun/etc?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2008, 01:18 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Aero
Sigh.
SQR, Nordic, and Maptun, are all very similar for Stage 1-4 tunes.

Recently, dedicated folk have figured how to tune their own personal ecus via http://www.ecuproject.com/

Do some research is all I've got to say. The answers you'd find 15 months ago are alot different from what you'd find today. Keep that in mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:05 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
Sigh.
SQR, Nordic, and Maptun, are all very similar for Stage 1-4 tunes.
x2

My 9000 was tuned by Frank almost three years ago and aside from the original ecu in the car having bad mosfets I've had no issues with mine. Runs good, plenty of power, no hiccups.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:08 AM   #4

search button is your friend young one. You'll get alotta mixed reviews... just make sure you check engine light works *

lol
GS stuff
oil leak
Old 07-23-2008, 06:46 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
You definitely will get mixed reviews, for sure. Let me tell you though, being close to whomever tunes your car is probably one of the most valuable aspects, and should be considered a deciding factor in your choice. Personally, I have SQR and am very satisfied. But it is very clear to me that my satisfaction compared to others is directly related to the fact that I got to school about 15 miles from Automotion and knowing that if any problems arise they can be quickly rectified. Luckly nothing has happened to cause any problems. *knock on wood (car has 165k miles!*
Old 07-23-2008, 07:12 AM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
One of the most important things when getting a tune is making sure you have the correct hardware, Also I think you also need to have your car in perfect working order because a tune will show its faults. Which I think people often blame the tuner. DI, Plugs, BPC. All things which I would look at getting with a tune.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDSPG View Post
One of the most important things when getting a tune is making sure you have the correct hardware, Also I think you also need to have your car in perfect working order because a tune will show its faults. Which I think people often blame the tuner. DI, Plugs, BPC. All things which I would look at getting with a tune.

+ elebenty zillion.

Make the sure the car is running right, then mod away.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:17 AM   #8

i agree /\/\

If I lived closer I dont think I'd have as much of an issue. My biggest problem with them is that there are fault's in my tune from them. And yes they agree to fix them, but give me no option but to find a spare ecu myself. Which is really anoying having to fork out another 100 bucks out of my own pocket for something they should of had fixed in the first place. Other then that, power is great, dyno and track proven. and reliability hasnt really been an issue.
GS stuff
oil leak
Old 07-23-2008, 07:21 AM   #9
Elder

Here are my personal thoughts.

A) For about $20 investment (more if you buy a spare ECU core), you can put on a Stage 3 tune that is *almost* as fast as an SQR stg4 tune. If you're a little more adventurous, you can modify the stage 3 tune, or whatever tune you wish, and go as fast as you want.

B) I don't like my SQR stage 4 tune. It's fast as hell, and I get good mileage with it, but I have a multitude of boost issues that I attribute 100% to the tune, as I do not have those issues with multiple other tunes (tuned and stock).

Personally, I'd go with T5suite. But that's just me...
Old 07-23-2008, 07:41 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post

For the price difference alone, it's hard to argue with that.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
Here are my personal thoughts.

A) For about $20 investment (more if you buy a spare ECU core), you can put on a Stage 3 tune that is *almost* as fast as an SQR stg4 tune. If you're a little more adventurous, you can modify the stage 3 tune, or whatever tune you wish, and go as fast as you want.

B) I don't like my SQR stage 4 tune. It's fast as hell, and I get good mileage with it, but I have a multitude of boost issues that I attribute 100% to the tune, as I do not have those issues with multiple other tunes (tuned and stock).

what sense when dose the t5 stg3 put down anyware near 250whp and 28x wtrq?
GS stuff
oil leak
Old 07-23-2008, 07:53 AM   #12
Elder

well, i've had neither on the dyno, and i'm running the stage 3 tune with a td04 instead of the t25 it's designed for. the butt dyno says the stg3 tune is a little bit slower than the stg4 tune.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #13
JZW
Elder

I have seen these tunes, I have some major pro tunes in stage 3, 4 and 5 and they are similar and the main difference in a stage 3 and a stage 4 is that they take a little more knock protection out and that allows the car to hold a little more boost a little longer.

The stage 4's seem very aggressive to me with a little more boost and a little less knock protection.

I would say a stage 5 with larger turbo like tdo4-18t or gt28rs or somthing with larger fuel injectors and not pushing the stock turbo so hard right to the max is a better way to make more power.

The main difference I am seeing in Maptun, Sqr and other pro tuners is how they tune the boost maps. Sqr and others let the boost come on just about as hard as it can and then let it spike past the requested boost mark and then settle back down.

Maptun uses the pid maps to better control the boost and I have been tuning my cars with this method and it does not over-shoot at all, not even 1psi, just comes up and locks in at the requested boost mark and holds.

It could be said that the boost spikes are what cause undue stress on the gear boxes and also with a torque spike with stock turbo, you make a little more heat and that is traded off in the top end. So you have a choice, a nice torque spike and the feeling of power down lower and less top end or a nice build up of boost and no spike that allows for more top end power, but less feeling of power down low where the turbo hits.

Many people like the torque spike, but I am now starting to like the more consistant boost that allows for more power through mid-range and upper midrange.

John
Old 07-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #14
Trollerator
Elder

the nordic tunes I have had, 02 9-3 SE auto, 99 9-5 lpt, both did not overshoot boost and hold rock steady, unless it it like 95 degrees and then it will pull back some...

but that is why you get a big IC problem fixed....

in fact that is probably a requirement for stage 4+, that is why the tuners probably pull some knock protection, you are supposed to have a very good IC for that stage

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 07-23-2008, 09:13 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I agree w/dukted. I ran the oem ic on my 9k for about a year and a half w/stage 4 and I pretty much saw what JZW & others are describing...big spike and it gradually settled down. Last April when I put the big G9/ETS ic in and all the larger piping all that stopped. No more spikes, no taper...it holds steady pretty much all the way up.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #16

I just had the motor replaced. new engine with 30k on it! runs sooo minty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
+ elebenty zillion.

Make the sure the car is running right, then mod away.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #17
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
I agree w/dukted. I ran the oem ic on my 9k for about a year and a half w/stage 4 and I pretty much saw what JZW & others are describing...big spike and it gradually settled down. Last April when I put the big G9/ETS ic in and all the larger piping all that stopped. No more spikes, no taper...it holds steady pretty much all the way up.
Glad to hear the hw will help with boost over-spikes, but from what I can see, the sqr and others, not nordic bring the boost up aggressively and my 9k aero would hit 25psi and fall back to 20psi. With the different boost maping like what Maptun uses, my boost comes up and nails the boost request and does not spike at all, even with stock turbo and ic size.

Part of the issue is definetely how the boost maps are tuned and part appears to be hw. Some people like that boost spike and many people want to feel that surge in torque. If you are one of those guys, you will love a sqr stage 4 tune. The custom stage 4 tune I tried would spike 28-30psi and fall back to 23-24psi on stock tdo4 turbo. It would fall off a good bit in the upper rpm of course.

With my new custom tune it just hits 18psi and holds until after the torque spike and then climbs up to 20-21psi or so and then holds a while and it does hold more boost and power higher into the rpm band, but its all a trade off.

This is more personal preference than anything, what do you want, a nice torque spike or smooth boost that is lower, but will hold higher into the rpm band...

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456 View Post
the nordic tunes I have had, 02 9-3 SE auto, 99 9-5 lpt, both did not overshoot boost and hold rock steady, unless it it like 95 degrees and then it will pull back some...

but that is why you get a big IC problem fixed....

in fact that is probably a requirement for stage 4+, that is why the tuners probably pull some knock protection, you are supposed to have a very good IC for that stage
I have not seen any nordic tuned files yet, but it sounds like they are mapping the boost by the pid maps more so than the reg kon mats and that is what helps to avoid over-shoots. I did hear of them having trouble figuring out how to use hex file method to look at maptun bin files and they may have learned something from that or just by good ol trial and error and time and testing.

The more tuned files you look at and compare, the more information you h ave and the more information you have, the better the tuning becomes

John

Last edited by snow4_1man; 07-23-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #18
TSLMember

Wow how much does a tune cost ?? rough estimate please.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #19

500-700 dollers, inless you do it yourself with t5suite, then it's a time issue.
GS stuff
oil leak
Old 07-23-2008, 11:13 AM   #20
TSLMember

Fun fun fun..Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in