Lowering springs and brakes - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to BluAero
Lowering springs and brakes

Yesterday I decided to take the 900 to the shop since it was making some funky noises in the front end. $300 later and I still need two more things. Lowering springs and front rotors and pads. My front passenger spring is cracked/broken. Damn potholes in Upstate,NY!! I'm glad I sold the alessio rims when I did. And the NG must have sat a while before I bought it and it sat this winter...well new brakes and rotors at 74k now im at 88k and I have rusty, shitty rotors now. So here's what I wanna do.

-Buy some brembo (stock) rotors with some good metallic pads
-Get lowering springs

Trying to not break the bank with everything, but I want quality. Suggestions on lowering springs with the stock struts/shocks and pad suggestions. I want springs that will complement the stock struts because I am not going to be able to put in new shocks anytime soon. Oh and I plan on doing the brakes with a friend so that will help with labor a bit. and the shop next to me will take two hours putting the springs in total. Thanks guys!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 06:14 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
I'd throw on some Viggen springs. They won't be awful with stock dampers, lower it only slightly for your rough roads, and should be acquired at a fair price.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-16-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Mark, I have a good spare spring if you need it quick. But if you are taking it all apart, may as well do the upgrade. Lemme know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations

Old 07-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #4

I do need a spring, but I figured I would upgrade. I would rather go with lowering springs than viggen springs. I was thinking the Eibach Pro Kit. They say it complements stock damnpers. other lowering springs vogtland and h & r say that it will be underdampened with stock shocks.

EDIT: I'm putting together a list of where I should buy all of these parts. If anyone knows where I can get the Eibach pro kit lowering springs kit or a good price for brakes(eeuro is best so far) it would be appreciated. I also want a pad that doesn't give me a lot of brake dust. TIA!

Also, What pads are you guys using? Comments?

Last edited by BluAero; 09-23-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #5

Bump for input!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
Elder

Using the Akebono Ceramic pads (tirerack.com) for the last year.

Done about 10 events on them as well.

They are "ok" for track but will overheat. They are "ok" for street but not the best.

The perk is that they have literally zero dust.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
Elder

go to
www.genuinesaab.com

get his rotors and pads (should total about $350-$400 for the sport slotted rotors and ceramic pads

get the Voigtland/Intrax springs he has. I have had them on my Tally since January of 2007 and haven't had any issues and i live in NH and use it all year through plus i drive through NY a lot to see my grandparents in Millbrook.
I am getting the Koni Dampers now as i want a little more but it is pretty good without it and drives/rides like a gocart.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:48 AM   #8
Elder

I gave you my input. besides your at school now aren't you? Get the complete arm you need at the junkyard, and have Joey R. get you the brake parts cheap.
Quote:
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 09-24-2008, 06:52 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
I think ceramics are hard on rotors personally. I've got Hawk HPS pads on the front and rear of my car. Great pads all around, quiet, fade-free, great bite, and so far they seem pretty gentle on the slotted rotors.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:01 AM   #10

Ben, thats what I probably will do, I just want all the parts already bought and in my possession before I go back on the 20th of December. I plan on doing all this work the 21st. I want to get it all done and enjoy the car before I have to go back in january. I plan on installing new brakes/pads,bleeding brakes, MP 3" dp, and lower it.

Anyone had any experience with EBC Red/Green stuff? I've heard good things about them. My brother had green stuff them on his car and they stopped pretty well.

I just bought a Haynes manual for my car also. I plan on doing a good amount of work to it before I go back to school in January.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #11
Elder

Yes, I think I was the factor that got Alex into the Greenstuffs, I have them on the car again, but for shitzngiggles will try the stuff Nick sells next time.
Quote:
Old 09-24-2008, 07:21 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I've got greenstuffs on my 96 w/Nick's slotted rotors, Goodridge lines & ATE super blue. Stops pretty well, but the ebc's are noisy. I'll probably go with something else next time.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #13

Ok, so I've found Eibach pro-kits on the internet and they can be had for about $250. The problem is they are for 98-02 9-3's. I'm guessing these would not fit my 97 900. Maybe they would fit 98 900's because the suspension design was changed in 98?

Can someone clarify this for me? and/or find me Eibach springs for a 97?

EDIT: If I can't get Eibach's, I'm leaning toward the Koni Springs that nick sells.

Last edited by BluAero; 09-26-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #14
Elder

Dip is our friend:
http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/2007...gs_From_a_9-3/
Quote:
Old 09-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
JK
Elder

I have greenstuff on my 9-3 and they are nowhere near the Redstuff on my 9000. I wouldn't bother with greens. I'll probably try either Hawk, or something that is low dust (the greenstuff are more dusty than my current set of Redstuff).
Old 09-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
I had the red pads on my prior 9-3. Per JK's suggestion. I was always happy with them. Little to no dust. They have a nice bite and constant feel. The only complaint I have is that they preformed subpar in colder weather until they got a few stabs.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
Yes, thank you ben!

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product...oducts_id=1190

I guess Eibach does make springs for NG's!

Last edited by BluAero; 09-26-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in