steering rod bushings - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

steering rod bushings

Get 'em while they're hot!

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...ab74b0df3140ee

I'll post a review once I've installed them.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
I saw those, let me know how hard they are to install. I have poly everything else, so if it makes a difference I will pick these up too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Took me about 30 min to do it on my vig. But if you have help then it should be no problem. I did it with car on the ground and had a hard time twisting the wheels. Here is my write up from November.

http://trolltuner.com/:

Quote:
Steering Rod Bushings

After seeing quite a few cars with excessive wear on the inner bushings I decided it was time to work on a replacement. The factory bushings are only available with the arms $$$.. Well a few hours in the machine shop and a little urethane later i had some decent prototypes to try.
I decided to install them in my Viggen since it has about 20K miles no wear was expected. I found a decent about of wear on the factory bushings which was a little amazing in this short time. I would guess that many of the higher mileage cars are far worse.
The actual install was pretty easy took a leisurely 30 min. Basic hand tools. I used a long 10mm bolt and a 34mm 1/2" drive socket to pull the old bushings from the arms. This is probably not necessary for the higher mileage cars. Installation was very easy once the old ones were out. I did it with the car on the ground making it a little harder than necessary. It took a helper to get the arms aligned and the bolts into the steering gear. Used a little thread locker there too just as a precaution.
Initial feelings are improved on center feel and less of the mushy steering response. I will see after the road trip to StLouis tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs

Old 07-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
They were almost an impulse buy this morning. In a week or two I'll get them to go with my new tie rod assemblies.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #5

Added them to my Nordic Stage IV order yesterday to save on shipping....I'll give a review once I get them on.

x-VWer:

Old 07-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Elmo
cool!
wish i would of noticed this earlier today when i bought my downpipe :P
... oh well, next time

Old 07-15-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via MSN to SAAB9-3USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
cool!
wish i would of noticed this earlier today when i bought my downpipe :P
... oh well, next time
call GS i think they could help u
Old 07-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
I called to add them to my order when I first noticed them on Monday... When I spoke to Nick he said that he thought they were all gone but that he would check and add them to my order if there were any left.

Just checked my order and there not on it. So either there all sold out or he forgot.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:55 AM   #9
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
There are no backorders on that part. If you call in additions it will not show up online.

I got an extra mold CNC'd yesterday.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 07-16-2008, 07:25 AM   #10
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Ahh the sexyness of CNC. Very nice.

Thanks for adding that to my order! Can't wait to install everything.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:00 PM   #11

Install was straight forward, just as Nick said. I also installed while the car was on the ground. Simply remove the strut bar, then two 15mm bolts securing the steering rack. Tons of room to maneuver once the strut bar was off. Hardest part was removing the old bushings. New bushings when in easy, my only advice is to push the bushings and inner tie rod against the end of the 15mm steering rack bolts before reinstalling, since you have to push the bolts in quite a ways before the thread catches. Initial impressions are just as Nick said, more direct feel on-center and while turning; especially under load. Another great cost/performance modification from gs!
Old 07-19-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
I got a set of those for my Sunbird, though they were quite a bit cheaper. It is a noticeable improvement over a broken or worn out bushing, really sharpens the steering response.

wonder if it's the same? Those are about $10.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #13

Well, isn't that freakin' great. I just had to replace my inner tie rod drivers (last month) when putting in a rebuilt rack, because my bushings had dissolved. They were carbonized and crumbled when I removed the the bolts. I had to cobble up some rubber and metal washers and reinstall until new inner rod drivers arrived. Timing is everything.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:30 PM   #14

anyone have pictures?

2001 Grand Cherokee Limited 60th ed.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny72888 View Post
anyone have pictures?
of what? the bushings are on nick's site, and when installed simply look like a blue version of the stock black rubber bushings
Old 10-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #16

never mind, i wasnt sure which ones they were.

2001 Grand Cherokee Limited 60th ed.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #17

i just put some on last weekent and so far they have been great, im not shure how much diference they would have made because i went with full polly front bushings at the same time but i love the way the car feels now,
Old 11-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #18
Avid TSL User

i just had mine put on, also replaced the tie rod ends. Get rid of all Slop !!!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:32 AM   #19
Avid TSL User

I did mine now i need to re-align the car. the stockers were so shot there was play in them so the last alignment was off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in