Different exhaust - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 08:42 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Different exhaust

I am trying to decide between MP performance's Downpipe with the 3" jt system on genuine saab, or just go with the whole jt 3" system from genuine saab? i like the sound of my friends 3" JT exhaust on his 9000, its kinda quite not too loud. anyone have sudgestions on either of those set ups?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2005, 09:07 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

You may also want to look at the Saab Savior system - I have the cat-back and am very happy with the sound and performance, although I can't give you a hard number.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-03-2005, 10:23 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Why not go for a custom 3" system with the MP downpipe? I have always used 3" custom tube with a Magnaflow 3 chamber on all my other cars that were turbcharged and the sound is some what like a V-6 Camaro (burble wise) and only gets noticeable under full acceleration. I have seen the MP downpipe and they are very nice quality so I don't think you can go wrong there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:54 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Jak Stoll makes a nice 3" DP too.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
What kind of car is it going on??? If you are pre OBDII I wuold go with a catless DP as well and have a flanged cat made to put in for smog inspections.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:04 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

It would be going on a 1999 9-3. Wasn't looking for a american kinda noise. Think i may just go with the JT 3" system and have a cat weilded into it, it cost almost 400 bucks for the JT to come with a cat.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:27 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
i have the JT on mine and its good the one thing it has that MPs doesnt is the flex piece...but i dont think its needed if its made for an exact fit.... its your choice...i got my JT before MP even came out i think...but if i was getting one now i'd up for MP less expensive one... MPs also looks to have more subtle curves....were as JT has more to restrict....but i'm sure they both did their home work and know what they are doing.....
the choice is yours!
haha
Old 02-03-2005, 05:50 PM   #8
Admin
Elder

Send a message via AIM to snow4_1man
I have a JT Full Exhaust. I also bought mine before MP came out with thereís. MP DP has better bends as the JT has 2 smooth bends with MP only has one smooth curve. There is going to be flexing in any pipe on your on your car, I like MP DP better then the JT but I donít know if I would sacrifice the flex pipe. Cedric's flex pipe was cracked because of to much movement, and he is getting it replaced for free. But that just goes to show that you need some leeway.
Also i have seen Jak Stoll makes a nice 3" DP, looks exactly the same as MP, no Flex pipe.

Both are very good products, just what is your preference. Flex or no Flex.

Dan
99 LTB Vig - Awesome Rally Crash! - RIP
99 LTB Vig - Sold

Old 02-03-2005, 08:12 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

what company does Jak Stoll make the DP's for? this is the second time his name has poped up on this thread.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:39 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to ricot83 Send a message via MSN to ricot83
he makes them for his own company.. out of his backyard http://www.jakstollperformance.com/
Old 02-04-2005, 05:30 AM   #11

Jak's is aluminized steel, while MP's is stainless. They use different brands of cats too, I think.

Mine is on order from Jak, I will let you know what I think of it when I get it. Hope to take some pics of the install as well.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:52 AM   #12
Trollerator
Elder

can someone tell the dumbass what the flex pipe is for/what is does? (me)

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 02-04-2005, 06:22 AM   #13

flex pipe is hte pipe after the dp and before the catback section,.... it has a flex section in it which is why it is called flex pipe..... otherwise known as an intermediate pipe.. or center exhaust section
Old 02-04-2005, 06:29 AM   #14
Trollerator
Elder

that much I assumed. But why does it need to flex is my silly question?

obviously it needs to, or it would not be there, but why is what i am asking?

and why would some systems leave it out of the equation?

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 02-04-2005, 07:07 AM   #15

with the movement of the engine, it will eliminate any chance of breaking exhaust connections
Old 02-04-2005, 07:13 AM   #16
Trollerator
Elder

thank you. so it is best practice to get a system with flex pipe then. if not there is a heightened risk of breakage...

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 02-04-2005, 08:56 AM   #17
Admin
Elder

Send a message via AIM to snow4_1man
I would defiantly say yes. Think of how much your engine moves just at idle when you step on the gas. Then your exhaust pipes are connecting to your turbo and all these pipes and so forth are moving as well. Itís very wise to get a flex pipe, in-between the cat and DP, this would allow for a more leak free exhaust also, because youíre not having the straight pipes bend.

If you have an Engine mount on your car, this would prevent the engine from moving too much then not letting the pipes bend. But there is still going to be some movement, my dad has a flex pipe on him 9k JT full exhaust and that car come built with an engine mount. I would say itís a healthy idea.
99 LTB Vig - Awesome Rally Crash! - RIP
99 LTB Vig - Sold

Old 02-04-2005, 09:09 AM   #18
Trollerator
Elder

thanks. i will probably end up with a full 3" JT plus DP anyways if I stay with Maptun for my stage 3. that way I can get their discount for upgrading stages. now you have to buy the hardware from them in order to get the stage remap discount. makes sense, I guess... I think they want to be sure you are using the same HW they use for staged packages, so if there is a problem because you used a custom part, you can't blame them if the SW does not match up exactly.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in