Short-Belt time? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 08:31 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Short-Belt time?

I happened to be running my engine with the hood open noticed a humming noise coming from the area of my serpentine belt - My assumption is that I've got a noisy idler pulley (at least that's my hope, since everything else on that belt is expensive to replace).

Should I just replace both idlers and be done with it, or should I replace only one, and remove the lower pulley entirely?

I'd plan to replace the belt in any event.

Does the short-belt mod have any benefit at all?

Open to ideas, suggestions and recommendations.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2005, 09:06 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
I would do the short belt mod if you are looking to save money. I am not sure of what benefit it has other than possibly less drag on the pulleys and maybe less of a drain on the car. Try replacing the belt first as it may not be a bad pulley at all but possibly just a bad belt that makes noise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-03-2005, 09:33 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to ricot83 Send a message via MSN to ricot83
i dont think the newer t7 can do the short belt

Old 02-03-2005, 10:27 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

Sorry, forgot to mention - '97 900 SE Turbo
Old 02-03-2005, 11:01 AM   #5
Elder

Yeah I saw that short belt mod on this site http://pages.infinit.net/mlbriand/sa...elt/page1.html

I wondered if there was any benefit engine wise for this mod...Probably too little to register on a dyno...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:20 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Send a message via MSN to SaabScott
Just one question ... where do you get the belts from?

Is there a Saab parts place that sells them?
I would hate to have the belt off the car only to find the short belt is the wrong one.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:26 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

I was under the impression that later models did not even use the lower pulley, in which case we should be able to use a standard SAAB belt, right?
Old 02-03-2005, 12:28 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Forgetting the pulleys for a second. I just want to mention my car used to make a horrible grinding noise. Many people thought it was the steering pump, but it turned out to be the AC motor.

I got an AC delete belt from the U.K. and the problem has been cheaply resolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 02-03-2005, 12:44 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

TWEEK!

A/C issues? GACK!
Old 02-12-2005, 10:41 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

Took another closer look today - the lower pulley seems to be the problem - I can see it wobbling as the engine idles. I'd think that this needs to be pretty firm, shouldn't it?
Old 02-15-2005, 08:42 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
which pulley?
the crank pulley? (harmonic damper?)

*THAT* should be replaced ASAP.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:38 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

no, not the crank - the lower (center) idler pulley.

I sent an e-mail to eeuroparts.com looking for the short belt, but they don't have it for my car.

Old 02-15-2005, 03:03 PM   #13
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to spgdude
Hey Id either do the short belt mod, or get both new pulleys. And do it asap, I had the idler pulley fall off on one of our saabs. And on another it caused the belt to slip off, dont wan that to happen to far from home.
09' 9-5 SportCombi 5mt Stg1
Old 02-17-2005, 05:56 AM   #14
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-SAAB
no, not the crank - the lower (center) idler pulley.

I sent an e-mail to eeuroparts.com looking for the short belt, but they don't have it for my car.

Check out the website listed above that shows how to do the short belt mod and get the belt numbers that are displayed and take it to your local autoparts shop. They should be able to cross reference the number and get you the belt you need. I got mine at an Advance Autoparts shop here in Northern Virginia.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:59 AM   #15
SAABeginner

Quote:
I was under the impression that later models did not even use the lower pulley, in which case we should be able to use a standard SAAB belt, right?
The 99-02 9-3 doesn't have a lower pulley and have read the belt used on these cars cannot be used for the short belt mod on the 94-98 900.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:56 AM   #16
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleonl1
Quote:
The 99-02 9-3 doesn't have a lower pulley and have read the belt used on these cars cannot be used for the short belt mod on the 94-98 900.
Interesting - I wonder what's different - if you look at the two pics below - both from the EPC - it looks like it "SHOULD" work - but then, in my business we konw what I call "famous last words" - "Sure, that should work just fine". CRASH.

From what I can see in the EPC, the difference between the two is in the tensioner pulley assembly - different part #'s there - don't know why that would impact the belt, though.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:59 AM   #17
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
I still wonder what that pulley is for....was it to keep the belt proprietary..and wrap you into SAAB only parts...? Anyway, I heard about two concepts for doing this mod...

1> The short belt was a method to get around the proprietary SAAB belts that used to be hard to match for its length.

2> That odd-ball pulley is made out of plastic, and to replace it would mean a lot of unecessary work..., so when it goes just shorten the belt.

but considering less drag on the motor...maybe it does release a small percentage of power too.

I guess that could be another topic too... the proprietary parts on SAABs in the mid-90's.

Things like the wheel lug spacing for example, forced you to buy SAAB only for a time, although eventually manufacturer's found ways to get around it.

What about those star head bolt heads? I never saw one until I bought my SAAB...couldn't even find a wrench for it in the beginning, cause they weren't sold for a while. Just like the pulley.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:13 AM   #18
Avid TSL User

Send a message via MSN to SaabScott
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleonl1
Quote:
Interesting - I wonder what's different - if you look at the two pics below - both from the EPC - it looks like it "SHOULD" work - but then, in my business we konw what I call "famous last words" - "Sure, that should work just fine". CRASH.

From what I can see in the EPC, the difference between the two is in the tensioner pulley assembly - different part #'s there - don't know why that would impact the belt, though.

You would think that if the '99 9-3 doesn't use the long belt, that the short belt on that engine would in fact work.
It is the T5 engine afterall!

I replaced my idler pulley last week ... and the difference was noticable right away (it was also much easier than I thought it would be).
Now, the car is making a similar noise again!
All of the pulley wheels that the belt routes around are stable when the car idles ... but that may mean nothing.
I know that the pulley that is eliminated with the short belt has never been replaced for as long as I have had the car (70K kms - 45K miles). It could be that one is going too ...

So, the question I have is ... can anyone verify whether the belt from a '99 9-3 will work for the short belt mod?
Old 02-17-2005, 11:27 AM   #19
SAABeginner

Try to search Saabnet, I believe someone already checked if a belt from a 9-3 would work on the 900 and it doesn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in