Saab Link Forums banner

Too much clutch?

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Jameson 
#1 ·
I am going into full tilt rebuild mode and will be buying a bunch of parts from GS tomorrow.

I have heard warnings from people saying not to buy TOO much clutch.

I have currently a stage 3+/4 setup. I would like to pick the clutch which is fine for what I have now but will also be enough to handle the Gt3071R that I have planned next.

I will be putting in the LSD, Spec flywheel, and have heard the Viggen PP is the way to go. I was thinking the Spec stg3 would be my best bet.

Is that overdoing it? Should I go with the stage 2....or would that only be ideal for stage 3-4 power levels, and not a bigger turbo?

I am ok with overclutching for a couple thousand miles. I would rather that then have to upgrade the clutch AGAIN in the just a couple of months.

Thanks for the input.

#9 ·
I had a Spec stg2 and Fidanza flywheel on my first terrible F- and was happy with it.

Like I said, stage 2 would be fine for my current power level, but might be spread thin once I go bigger turbo.

I want this to be the LAST time the trans comes out of the car for a LONG time.

#11 ·
I have a spec stg 3/viggen pp in my car...no slippage, etc. Its very grabby & not the easiest to drive in stop/go. The mechanical clutch makes it more difficult and since your car is hydraulic I think you'll probably be a lot better off.

#12 ·
Ahh, what an expensive day.

I spoke to Nick. I was wrong, the popping out of 3rd isn't the sign of beginning to lose the gear, he said that means its GONE. I thought it was the first step, and grinding came next.

He says prices have doubled and trippled, so all the little parts that I am going to need are going to add like an extra $1000. FUN!!

So I ordered:

1 x Aluminum Flywheel For NG900/9-3 $360.00
1 x Performance Clutch Disk 9-3 900NG
- Package: "Vig" 235R Pressure Plate (5023718)
- Model: Stage3 (SSD183) $416.60
1 x Slave Cyl $145.35

And added the update kit for an extra $200.

But I am going to have to add 2-3 gear synrco's and little bits to make this right. But I feel like I should not order them until I have the case cracked and order what I need.

I have the LSD paid off and all of these parts coming. I am really hoping that a local Saab Indy can do the labor for $1000-1200 and somehow not have to buy more than another $500 in parts.

This is going to hurt..... But at least it will be done right and the car should be pretty sweet when done.

The car will be pretty close to being done, I have the suspension, interior-i.c.e, and soon upgraded trans. With the pistons and turbo and redoing of the bumpers the car will be DONE.

#14 ·
Ahh, what an expensive day.

I spoke to Nick. I was wrong, the popping out of 3rd isn't the sign of beginning to lose the gear, he said that means its GONE. I thought it was the first step, and grinding came next.
Did he think that the gear would be messed up itself, or just the syncros?

The car will be pretty close to being done, I have the suspension, interior-i.c.e, and soon upgraded trans. With the pistons and turbo and redoing of the bumpers the car will be DONE.
Don't kid yourself, it'll never be done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.