Saab Link Forums banner

1/4 mile results and question

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  MONSTAMUNCH 
#1 ·
Ok I went to the local dragstrip for the first time with the saab last night. The best time I got was a 15.085 at 93.00. The only mods I have is an open intake and a 2.5" custom exhaust on a 2000 saab 9-3 se. My first question is does that seem pretty spot on for a saab with just those mods? I know I can get in the 14's with it because it spun and wheel hopped off the line, which leads me to my next question. What can I do to help reduce the wheel hop?

#2 ·
That is pretty close, stage 3 set-ups get around 14.7 at 104mph 1/4 mile times.

Poly bushings in the suspension will help wheel hop, which is what will take out the tranny...

John

#4 ·
I am pretty positive I can get a 14.9 out of it. I think my last run would have been it but I left the line too easy and it bogged the car too much. When I dumped the clutch it jumped then went to idle then took off. After all that I still ran the same time and the same mph as I did my first run. Something like a 15.185 at 92 mph.

#6 ·
Yup, it all helps, stiffer springs the rear and dampers, poly bushings up front, 6pt subframe brace, good tires, right air pressure, low in the front and high in the rear, pre-loading the car by slipping the clutch and getting the turbo moving.

Drag radials good for around .2-.5 seconds on the 60' time, then lowering the weight down and the list just keeps on going...

John

#7 ·
Yea I know the physics of it all and how different things will effect the car. I guess I was looking for the biggest bang for the buck. I thought about brake boosting it to take the shock out of the drivetrain but my clutch probably isn't long for this world. There was 2 new honda accords there w/ the v6's in them, both with 30 day tags. I wish I could have lined up beside one of them. I never got to see them run so I have no idea what kind of times they were posting.

#10 ·
I feel like 15.0 is pretty solid for an SE with the only power producing item being a catback.

Seeing your 60ft times will give me a better idea of where your improvement should come from.

I feel like your ET is a bit better than your trap speed which implies you did not get a crazy amount of wheelspin.

You are only a couple of tenths away from a stock Viggen, but your mph is 4-7 off.

#13 ·
People give wheelspin a bad rap.

In most cars, getting a bit of wheelspin off the line puts you in the meat off your powerband quicker.

So if our cars make peak tq at say 2500rpm, if we spin and then hook at 2500-3500rpms then we are getting into the sweet spot sooner.

Cars with less tq need more revs and wheelspin then others. Like on my old board Quad 4's(180hp and 160tq but needing lots of revs) would rev to about 4500-5k with wheelspin needed before a 3500-4k hookup and shifting before the limited at nearly 7000rpms.

#15 ·
Yep, as I thought.

Thats a pretty good 60ft time.

Thats 1-2 tenths better than all the other stage'd street tire'd 9-3's I see on here.

Every tenth off your 60ft takes 2 off your et.

So if you had done a 2.3 you would have had a 15.2 which would have been even more average.

So you are hooking up rather well for a Saab. Thats one of the reasons why your trap was less than spectacular. I am sure with more wheelspin you would have had something like a 15.3 at 95mph.

#16 ·
I think that 15 secs is a brilliant time. My fastest time is 15.1 @ 157kph(98mph).
That is with my stock Vig and full weight(full tank and spare wheel). I am at 1800m above sea level though. Plenty wheelspin in first gear. The golf 5 gtis run 15.3@151kph at best stock, and stock new Audi S3 runs 14.9@158kph, so i think a 15 sec odd quartermile for a SAAB is good. We sure do surprise alot of people who think they have hot hatches!:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.