Saab Link Forums banner

01 Viggen Question

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Elmo 
#1 ·
Ok, so im new to the saabs but i bought an 01 Viggen Conv. That is an absolute great car. I was wondering if it is a T5 or T7 that everyone is talking about. I was thinking it was a T7 but i want to be sure. I just recently started looking for parts for it. I was wondering what kind of options i have with the intake and bov/dump valve and where is the best place to buy it..thanks alot guys

#21 ·
How much would it cost to upgrade my ecu? What other mods can i do without spending a ton of money?
Take care of your hardware mods first before you start on the ECU mods.... address handling, stopping, intake, exhaust etc.... then when that stuff is done you will be ready for an ECU upgrade....

By then we will hopefully have a T7suite out over at ECUPROJECT.com

And then the ECU upgrade will cost next to nothing.

#8 ·
With that cold air intake on there, your turbo and bypass valve will be much louder... you'll be able to here it spool and go "pssht" like you would here with a BOV.

But if you want, forge makes a nice replacement that holds boost a little better; it's louder, but not obnoxious. I guess some people run it in reverse and it makes a metallic sound, sort of like two swords hitting or something... if you're into that ;)

Forge Diverter Valve

nice buy, btw
any pics?

#9 ·
Thank you very much for the info. I got my intake in less than 2 days which i am very impressed with. Also, it sounds great!!! Now im thinking about ordering that diverter valve. So you say i have to run it in reverse? Does it do anything beside help the turbo hold boost if you run it normal?

#10 · (Edited)
no... you don't have to run it in reverse. it will just sound different. i have never done it myself, so i dont know... i would suggest running it normally and then trying reverse later if you get bored.

normally it might be just a bit louder than the stock bosch unit, but its hardly noticeable. the cold air intake is what makes your bypass valve loud cuz you're losing that stock air box (which acts as a silencer).

the forge is going to hold boost a little better, reguardless of how you mount it (normal or reverse), but other than that, you wont get much performance out of it.

there's a lot of good posts about it here

VW with reversed valve

some info

actaully... i think i might reverse it tonight :D

#16 ·
wow, i like it a lot
it is definitely a different sound, but its way cool, and it only took 5 minutes to switch. not as high pitched and whistly as the VW in that video, but it is louder than normal. there's sorta like two stages to the dump now, almost like a wha-phewt! as if it were sneezing, haha.

nothing performance-wise, just sounds different... its all personal preference i suppose.

i suggest trying it with your stock valve and seeing if you like it.

#13 ·
Boost controller is out of the question on T7. As far as boost gauges go anything by autometer or prosport is a good gauge to run with.

For tapping the proper vacuum line on T7 for your boost gauge look here for a tutorial by our own Palmer.
http://saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22071&highlight=boost+gauge

I would also strongly urge you to do an oil pressue gauge install and to drop the pan to check for sludge if you don't have good oil change/maintanance history for you viggen. I've got a tutorial for the T5 motors in a 9-3 which will only be slightly different for you since your stock oil pressure sensor is behind the starter.
http://saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18367

As for where to mount them in your car you can do anything you'd like. You could even put one in place of the headlight switch. Only requires minor modification by dremeling the raised ring but it works well. You also have the option of the speedparts dual pillar pod or sleets custom dual dash pod (puts it low by the shifter, more ideal for temperature gauges).

Dual pillar pod
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56_58&products_id=488

Sleet's pod
http://saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25788

#14 ·
wow..thankyou...now im confused. I don't know where to start with what i want on the autometer website. Can you help me with what gauges? I pretty sure i will mount them on the pillar. Are the pods universal? Do i have to worry about anything with that?

#15 ·
The pods I posted are direct fit. Sleet's from what I understand needs a little dremeling of something on the dash but he could answer that.

The speedparts pillar pod is a direct fit and the picture I used of it mounted is off my cars gauge setup with the speedparts pod.

You can use a universal pod but I'm not sure whats involved with that.

Find a gauge series you like from Autometer and then take note of the part number and find somewhere your able to order them from.

#17 ·
i switched my stock earlier and i didn't see a difference at all. I love the sound of the difference of the cold air intake. It is great! Do you think it is worth the money for the diverter valve for the sound? Honstly that is what i love. I really couldnt care about the horsepower.

#20 ·
Thankyou! I actually went o the dealership to look at another saab and i saw that one. As soon as i saw it i was like wow that is really nice. It happend to be the one that the owner drove and was selling because he had one that was abosutley mint that he thought about seelling but it was out of my price range. After i drove it i was sold. It even was more than i actually wanted to spend but it was cheaper and was a really fun car to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.