Saab Link Forums banner

Looking for heat soak

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  pfb 
#1 ·
After reading about what a difference a bigger intercooler makes, I am considering it as my next upgrade. However, I am a little confused on exactly how and when heat soak occurs.

Last night - 90 degree weather, driving home from work and I am getting into full boost on the highway at about 65 mph in 4th gear, going up to 90 or so. I do this repeatedly and it boosts fine each time. If I had heat soak would the boost gauge still go into the red, or would I just experience less pull? I have stock gauges only, I know I need to upgrade those...

Is there differences between the stock 9-3, SE and viggen intercoolers?

How hard do you have to be driving the car to experience heat soak? Does it occur during WOT through multiple gears?

Thanks for any info.

#2 ·
You will feel the car not pulling as hard. The stock gauge measures airflow only. The stock 9-3 IC is shit, SE and Viggen are the same, and are much better. But they still suck.

If you want the biggest drop in IC, its the Forge. ETS requires a little modifications.

#14 ·
this is the first seriouse post I think I have ever seen you make....

I have a mp, easy install, works good for me, no problem on track or autocrossing with it. It's a little smaller then the ets, but I dont need anything bigger...yet.

#7 ·
you have a sqr stage 4 tune but no IC to go with it?!?!?
why would you go through putting in a bigger turbo with no IC?]

you want the coldest air you can get in your engine, so on a turbo car the air goes throgh the turbo and gets compressed whick makes it hotter than when it came into the intake. a intercooler makes the air cool down by having th hot air go through it as cooler air passes over the intercooler cooling it down. so heat soak is when the intercooler is to small or poorly made or has not enough air flow and does not cool enough, this will make the air going into the engine hotter which makes the exhaust hotter which makes the turbo hotter which makes the air going into the intercooler hotter and it just goes around and around.

look around on ebay for some intercoolers, you need to make most of them fit but it might save you some cash over a forge or mp one.

#8 ·
you have a sqr stage 4 tune but no IC to go with it?!?!?
why would you go through putting in a bigger turbo with no IC?]

you want the coldest air you can get in your engine, so on a turbo car the air goes throgh the turbo and gets compressed whick makes it hotter than when it came into the intake. a intercooler makes the air cool down by having th hot air go through it as cooler air passes over the intercooler cooling it down. so heat soak is when the intercooler is to small or poorly made or has not enough air flow and does not cool enough, this will make the air going into the engine hotter which makes the exhaust hotter which makes the turbo hotter which makes the air going into the intercooler hotter and it just goes around and around.

look around on ebay for some intercoolers, you need to make most of them fit but it might save you some cash over a forge or mp one.
+10
Go on ebay and look for one. Drop in or not, it's not impossible to stick in. If you're running stage 4, then you'll definitely need something. I felt heat soak with the T25 even on slightly cool days. I installed my intercooler a little while back..it's a 22x8x3.5 and I think you can get it off of ebay for $100 after the recent price drop. Plus piping, it's a pretty good deal. Difference is noticed immediately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.