T-7 ideas - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
TSLMember

T-7 ideas

After learning the original plans I had for my saab would not work, I have been at a loss for what to mod on my car. Finally after some months of reading, I understand what I can't do with my T-7 enging (BoV, MBC, ect.) So I just completed installing a gauge pod and I have a few nice exterior mods going on this weekend and I will compile pictures of everything soon.

Point being.... what else can i do on the low cost end to improve performance??? i have the GS intake and a custom turbo back exhaust. I know there is that other type of mbc.... smbc is it???? is that really benificial? or should i just wait to get a td04 and a tune??? some opinions would be great, just keep in mind I dont have a huge budget to work with on this stuff for now

Last edited by Formula; 07-07-2008 at 11:45 AM. Reason: submitted original before finished
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
TSLMember

just to add, from what I understand the smbc doesnt actually increase the max boost, is this correct? Has anyone purchased one of these and how do you like it if so? Thanks for the input guys.

Jim
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
SAAB Road Master

A nice intercooler will always be a worthwhile mod if you have the turboback exhaust and intake, especially if your future plans involve the td04.

I ran a SMBC on my car until the turbo blew (not related to SMBC use). It was cool as you can reach maximum stock boost levels in first and second gear... and it only costs you $30.

Other than intercooler or SMBC you should really look at suspension stuff as much as you want to improve performance. At this point a rear anti-roll bar or steering rack clamp and brace would really be a great investment for you.

Then after you have the intercooler and some suspension goodies, you can save up for a bigger turbo and tune...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NO "n" words please
Come on, I've had that signature for like a year without any complaints

Old 07-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula View Post
Point being.... what else can i do on the low cost end to improve performance??? i have the GS intake and a custom turbo back exhaust. I know there is that other type of mbc.... smbc is it???? is that really benificial? or should i just wait to get a td04 and a tune??? some opinions would be great, just keep in mind I dont have a huge budget to work with on this stuff for now
3" Exhaust (at least the downpipe), suspension, tune.

You aren't losing anything other than noise from not being able to have the BOV, as it does not increase performance as long as its working correctly.

As far as not using a manual boost controller goes, its a bummer, but oh well!

Lastly, what car exactly do you have? It very well could already have the TD04 15t on it.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
TSLMember

thanks for the advice, I may pick up a SMBC just for the time being. I was reading a few threads that said putting an aftermarket intercooler on a T-7 (i guess before a tune) yielded the same or often negative results, so that was steering me away from that, just wish I knew how true that really is. Anyone have opinions on that? I'm absolutely planning on the TD04 and a tune, Im just not so sure how soon I can swing that. As for suspension, thats going to get attention very soon as well.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Quote:
thanks for the advice, I may pick up a SMBC just for the time being. I was reading a few threads that said putting an aftermarket intercooler on a T-7 (i guess before a tune) yielded the same or often negative results, so that was steering me away from that, just wish I knew how true that really is. Anyone have opinions on that? I'm absolutely planning on the TD04 and a tune, Im just not so sure how soon I can swing that. As for suspension, thats going to get attention very soon as well.
Yes. A bigger FMIC can cause a longer lag time especially on the smaller turbos. However, you still have a cooler denser charge once it hits and heat soak is less of an issue. If you are going to have a TD04 in the future it's defiantly not a bad move.

Exhaust and tuning is where you get your best benefits.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
TSLMember

No way its a TD04, its the tiny lil guy (if it is, i will be over-taken with both confusion and joy, lol)..... its a 2000 9-3 (not an SE). I know the BoV wont do anything performance wise for me, but I LOVE that sound and was pretty upset when I found I couldnt get it. (especially that the two cars that sold the night before I went to see them were both 99 SE's ) But it is what it is, and the intake sounds nice enough to satisfy me. My exhaust is already 3" turbo back wit highflow cat so im good there.... Its really looking to me like SMBC is the only small thing I could still do. I guess the bigger turbo sounds like my next step. As for the TD04, is it more or less a direct fit or are there some comlications?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

There is nothing you can add HW wise to a T7 that will increase its HP without an ECU change. Remember, the T7 is a torque requesting system, therefore the only thing new HW will do is make your car more efficient in obtaining the requested torque. For instance a new IC will allow the turbo to produce less boost to make the same torque/hp....this helps the turbo in the long run b/c its under less stress.

x-VWer:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheword View Post
Yes. A bigger FMIC can cause a longer lag time especially on the smaller turbos. However, you still have a cooler denser charge once it hits and heat soak is less of an issue. If you are going to have a TD04 in the future it's defiantly not a bad move.

I have a friend actually with a nice IC that should work for me and he's gonna give it to me for practically nothing, but I figured I would just hang on to it until I do the TD04 and tune. It should work but I got to make sure on that. He had it on his volvo 850 and the pipes were blowing off on him, lol... he ended up getting most of the piping welded and the rest flanged but it was still poppin off at anything of 15psi on there so he got discouraged and is pretty much giving it to me, lol his loss, my gain (possibly)
Old 07-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #10
JK
Elder

Quote:

In theory yes. Then again, the upgraded intercooler is hardly bigger at all. Secondly I have yet to hear of anyone who ended up with a slower, worse performing T7 car after the intercooler has been upgraded - even without a tune.

I think its mainly speculation that gets perpetuated.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #11
TSLMember

I figured it wouldnt really be a loss if I installed it, but especially if I take the one from my friend, I'm leaning towards waiting to install it until I get the bigger turbo. After dealing with his IC headache im not in a rush for it right now, and I'm gonna be doing the turbo anyway.

I guess let me ask this too, is it worth it to get a tune with the stock turbo at all? or better off waiting for the bigger one? (pretty sure I know the answer, just like to hear opinions )
Old 07-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #12
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
I figured it wouldnt really be a loss if I installed it, but especially if I take the one from my friend, I'm leaning towards waiting to install it until I get the bigger turbo. After dealing with his IC headache im not in a rush for it right now, and I'm gonna be doing the turbo anyway.

I guess let me ask this too, is it worth it to get a tune with the stock turbo at all? or better off waiting for the bigger one? (pretty sure I know the answer, just like to hear opinions )
You can always get a tune now and a retune latter. But if you don't have a large budget than just wait. It would be well worth it.

NO "n" words please
Old 07-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkj View Post
There is nothing you can add HW wise to a T7 that will increase its HP without an ECU change. Remember, the T7 is a torque requesting system, therefore the only thing new HW will do is make your car more efficient in obtaining the requested torque. For instance a new IC will allow the turbo to produce less boost to make the same torque/hp....this helps the turbo in the long run b/c its under less stress.

I have the 185 bhp engine in my 2000 9-3. After a full exhaust and intake I put down 180whp... I don't know if I believe that I did not gain a single hp from those earlier upgrades.

NO "n" words please
Old 07-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #14
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by slspf2 View Post
I have the 185 bhp engine in my 2000 9-3. After a full exhaust and intake I put down 180whp... I don't know if I believe that I did not gain a single hp from those earlier upgrades.

what was the whp before the add ons? Most saabs I know of put down better numbers in stock form than what the factory states.

x-VWer:

Old 07-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #15
SAAB Road Master

It was never dyno'd before that. Throttle response was certainly better after the upgrades but I'm telling you it certainly pulled harder than in stock form. And I drove this thing stock for a good 8 months, and there was certainly a difference.

As in I raced my best friend's DD automatic 2001 Mustang GT in stock form and got beat to a pulp by several cars... after the upgrades I raced him again from 5-6 pulls and I never lost by more than 1 to 1.5 cars. This is obviously not a scientific comparison in any way but I have to believe I made a few more horsepower with a free-er flowing exhaust system.

If it was a throttle illusion, I could understand. But the butt dyno certainly felt a difference.

NO "n" words please

Last edited by slspf2; 07-07-2008 at 02:22 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Even w/ the smaller turbo IC, exhaust, you can put down about 180whp and 220wtq. I think that is about what Palmer did on his old NG900/OG9-3 with a similar setup. But, that is about the top of things w/ that turbo IMO.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #17
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Even w/ the smaller turbo IC, exhaust, you can put down about 180whp and 220wtq. I think that is about what Palmer did on his old NG900/OG9-3 with a similar setup. But, that is about the top of things w/ that turbo IMO.
Those were nearly my exact dyno numbers with that setup.

NO "n" words please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in