Saab Link Forums banner

Why is T7 such a

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ace95 
#1 ·
What I really need to know is, why is Trionic 7 is so special? My buddy just damn near convinced me to let him set up a Megasquirt standalone for my car and I had very little to argue with. I said, "But you just don't understand, it's a very finnicky and complicated ECU."

Why is it so hard to tune? And what are the advantages of trying to mess with the software when it can be done for so much less with a standalone? I suppose I need to know what Trionic 7 is doing for me in the safety department versus something like Megasquirt, because there has to be a reason they were put in our cars to begin with.

Please don't let this become a T5 vs. T7 thread, I just would like to become more familiar with my "advanced" Trionic 7 unit... and maybe afterwards even appreciate it a little bit. A link or site is helpful too but I really would like to hear what you guys think. If this has been posted before, apologies.

#2 ·
There is many more tables and calculations in t7 than t5 and many things that would be hard to control, like ac, rpm, boost gages and alarm system with stand-alone megasquirt. The t7 is a mass airflow system as opposed to t5 which is density speed system or map. Manifold absolute pressure.

T7 is more complicated in the sw for many reasons and does things like close the throttle plate if more boost is added to the car. So if you stick a mbc on the car, it will just pull back the throttle to maintain requested airflow and will adapt back to stock air flow request and no more power will be made.

Its a fly by wire system and much more complicated. It would be difficult at best to megasquirt a t7 car and not sure if you could keep all the stuff like alarm, ac, acc, cooling fan operation and gages, speed, tach, boost... It would be quite a chore...

They will have t7 suite available soon anyway and there is enough info on ecuproject.com to start tuning with t7 now.

This will give you the ability to tune the car for performance anyway, but the main thing is to get the hw in place first and the tune the sw. Get a larger more efficient intercooler, 3" dp and free flow cat. Then you can start to get more power out of the car with sw.

John

#4 ·
This will give you the ability to tune the car for performance anyway, but the main thing is to get the hw in place first and the tune the sw. Get a larger more efficient intercooler, 3" dp and free flow cat. Then you can start to get more power out of the car with sw.
I've got all the necessary hardware lined up, I just am waiting for the car to get out of the shop. Jak's stage 3+ ECU is on my bedstand right now.
Slightly OT, but what is JSP Stage 3+? Does your hardware include an upgraded intercooler? The only difference between Jak's "standard" Stage 3 and 4 is an upgraded IC (and open air intake), right?

#3 ·
Thank you, that's good info.

I've got all the necessary hardware lined up, I just am waiting for the car to get out of the shop. Jak's stage 3+ ECU is on my bedstand right now.

And T7Suite sounds like it will be awesome if it is similar to T5Suite, but that's where personal research comes into play. I need to find a few places that offer information regarding tuning and just read.

#5 ·
I have MP intercooler, 3" DP, SaabSport cat-back, open air filter, and TD04. I think the plus indicates that I have upgraded my turbo and it is a more aggressive tune... i.e. it is set for 20-22psi, but of course I will have to see once it gets on my car whether that happens or not.

#8 ·
On my T7 3+ was an upgragded IC from both jak the nordic.
Oh, okay. The reason I ask is that while talking to Jak about his staged tunes the hardware requirements he prescribed were:

Stage 1: None (SW only)
Stage 2: 3" downpipe with high flow cat
Stage 3: Add 3" cat back exhaust with straight flow muffler(s) (3" turbo-back)
Stage 4: Add upgraded bar and plate intercooler (basically as large as will fit in the stock location) and an open air intake

My first goal was Stage 3 for my T-7, but I finally decided on a Stage 4 tune from Jak, due to a large part from posts by JZW touting the heat soak benefits of a good flowing large IC. Made great sense to me... (Thanks, John!) :wink:

#12 ·
From what very little I know, the cool thing I think about T5 and T7 is that is can change the timing on each cylinder individually. So if there is something amis in any one cylinder it will try and pull that cylinder back in line with the others.

I think thats cool.

Tboy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.