Questions on exhaust, and a new look at the whole thing - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 06:25 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to JABM
Questions on exhaust, and a new look at the whole thing

Well, the more that I think about the "best" performance exhaust system design for our cars, the more variables appear. For many here, we want to increase the power our cars are putting down, but still maintain a relatively civil sounding car, without drawing too much attention.

For many, price also figures in to the picture.

Personally, both of these factors play a big role in my thought process, and are making me think about alternative ways to best achieve my goal.

One of those ways is have a split function system to serve my split demands (quiet and performance). What I am referring to is what is commonly called an "exhaust cutout". In my case, I am looking at adding an electric cutout valve onto my 3" downpipe directly after the cat (won't pollute so bad, allows for a better location for the exhaust to exit the car). For those who don't know what I am referring to, here is a link.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...08992&x=16&y=9

This would allow for less backpressure than a traditional performance system, while not incurring the cost for said system, or the constant added noise associated with a performance exhaust. Instead, this would provide quiet, near-stock sound levels while cruising, and maximum performance when you want to use the go-fast pedal.

Along similar lines, I am trying to figure out the best bang-for-my-buck cat-back exhaust for my car, as my muffler decided to commit suicide. I am building my own 3" downpipe, and while I was planning to build my own catback as well, it appears to be cost-preventative when considering how many stainless mandrel bends I need to buy. Thus I am looking at what my options are outside of making my own.

I'm not sure if I will go ahead with the exhaust cutout method, it's merely food for thought at this point, so any suggestions on the best possible price for a cat-back are appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2005, 06:59 AM   #2
Trollerator
Elder

That sounds street-legal. Good luck with the new NYS inspection.

I think I heard of someone getting hassled really bad for having one of those....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-31-2005, 07:14 AM   #3
Elder

if your pre 96 your good if you post 96 and obd your screwed...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-31-2005, 07:15 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
I think that you will get a lot of hassle with the cutout on the exhaust. i have know alot of muscle car guys who use them and constantly got tickets for noise from them. I know the I4 is not as loud as a V8 but it will still be pretty loud. You should be able to get a system put in for around $375 from a local shop using a 3 chamber Magnaflow muffler and not killing you too badly on noise at all. If you don't want to go that way then you may want to look at just using the SAAB sport exhaust or one of the cheaper ones if you are going to use a Cutout. Just some random thoughts!!

Old 01-31-2005, 07:21 AM   #5
Administrator
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to turbosb
I think trexturk has a cut-out on his system. Here is his cardomain website. I'm sure he could answer any questions you might have.
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=365909

Kyle
Old 01-31-2005, 07:24 AM   #6

The JT system is essentially two straight-pipe glasspack mufflers after the cat. No baffles, no chambers. Just two perforated pipes surrounded by fiberglass. Not much backpressure with those bad boys.

The cut out might be OK, but the problem is that it would reduce backpressure TOO quickly, and you'd probably get a boost cut when you stepped on it.

Um, ah, er...This sort of happens to me because I've been too lazy to fix the cracked intermediate flex pipe -- and I don't mind the throaty burble....

just a thought!
Old 01-31-2005, 07:25 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37
if your pre 96 your good if you post 96 and obd your screwed...

Actually on the newer cars it should be ok too as long as you leave in the 2nd O2 sensor in the system. I would think that there should be no issues at all since the system is not monitoring back pressure but rather just the O2 levels. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

Mike,
What if you wrapped the downpipe and exhaust manifold with thrmal wrap to hold the heat in? That should keep everything running somewhat better I would think.

Old 01-31-2005, 08:07 AM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to ricot83 Send a message via MSN to ricot83
u dont need to wrap anything or change anything, though since u would be putting the cut out after the car, it is extremely pointless.. it realy wont change backpressure at all since the usual mufflers u get with exhaust systems are just straight through designs anyway
the catalytic converter is the most restrictive part and will always be the most restrictive.. so i say dont waste your money

as for getting hassled for it well thats a chance u r taking when u do this but if u r gonna be dumb enough to be driving around with an open dump like that in the city than u deserve to be pulled over.

i would say dont bother since i dont really see it making that much difference unless u r using the stock cat back exhaust with a resonator and a muffler
Old 01-31-2005, 09:40 AM   #9
Avid TSL User

I guess I need to clarify the purpose of the cutout in my opinion
I am not suggesting using the cutout to increase performance OVER a highflow catback system on the car, rather to produce comparable performance in lieu of a high-flow cat back system.
Essentially, having a 3" downpipe and high flow cat followed by an exhaust cutout to make similar performance figures to a full 3" exhaust system with a high flow cat.

The idea being that one would not need to buy a performance cat-back system, simply a performance downpipe. Does this make sense to all of you?

In addition, I think comparing a turbo I4 to a N/A V8 is an apples to oranges comparision because the turbo acts as a pretty effective muffler on it's own.

So to summarize, I am thinking of a performance downpipe feeding a stock (or stock style) cat-back exhaust system with the cutout there to give you the performance-on-demand ability without spending the money on a full performance exhaust.

Does that make a little more sense to you all?

I mean, $300+ for a catback seems to be the going rate for our cars, this could just be a cost-effective alternative which returns similar performance results AND maintains stock levels of noise refinement when simply cruising.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:45 AM   #10
Elder

Your original post made sense to me in the first place and I understand the exact benefits of the Cutout vs. a full exhaust system I was merely stating that the exhaust will still be loud. I had a custom turbo'd Saturn that I ran 2 miles to the Exhaust shop with nothing but a DP and race cat and it nearly busted my eardrums out under hard acceliration......Don't get me wrong it sounded cool but it was still loud. $300 or so is the going rate for our exhaust from just about everywhere so its one of those things that you just have to see what makes sense to you and go fo it!

Old 01-31-2005, 12:41 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
check out this handy new gadget from ATP Turbo: http://atpturbo.com/root/releases/release091004.htm

uses a wastgate actuator to open the exhaust cutout when you get onto boost. looks pretty neat, not sure if the price is justifed, but still pretty interesting concept.

Paul

Old 01-31-2005, 01:11 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

In fact that new approach to the cutout is what reminded me of the cutout option for a turbo car, though I'd just as soon use an electric cutout rather than a pressure-fed unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in