Forge Piston Diverter Valve - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Forge Piston Diverter Valve

I am thinking of ordering it from GenuineSaab - http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=463

Is anyone running one on a Viggen? Is it worth the $$? Does it change the sound of the engine when you let off the throttle in boost? Any feedback is appreciated....

Thanks,
-DViggen
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Not really going to change the sound that much. If yours is dead go for it. Otherwise leave it till you kill the original.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #3

Any performance improvements?

Old 06-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
The only thing you will see is that it tends to hold boost better and looks way cooler under the hood.

I run a 6 series Forge and it was a good improvement but as Nick said if the stock Bosch is holding out then don't bother until it goes.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
Baz
SAAB Road Master

a lot of vw guys run the forge 007s in reverse. Supposedly it holds boost a little better.

Anyways, when you flip the intake ports you will get a metallic "pshwink" sound when you shift.

Ive been running mine that way for a year now and love it.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I run both the 007P on my 900 and the 006 on my 9000 that way. The boost doesn't push directly against the spring that way.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Baz
SAAB Road Master

yep yep.
Forge doesnt say one way or another is better, but the general consensus is that running it 'reversed' is the way to go due to mcrowley's point about the spring
Old 06-23-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
SAAB Road Master

Ya I ordered the thing over the weekend because my stock valve blew. I'm hoping the polished looks as good as I think it will...
Old 06-24-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
SAAB Road Master

A bump on this thread because I just got my DV today... are the extra two springs merely replacements? And the extra two circular plates as well?
Old 06-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
Quote:
Originally Posted by slspf2 View Post
A bump on this thread because I just got my DV today... are the extra two springs merely replacements? And the extra two circular plates as well?
the different springs have different spring rates for different boost pressure, you should be good with the yellow one.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:47 PM   #11
SAAB Road Master

Ok cool, thanks. Just out of curiosity, when should I think about using a different spring? I will be at 20-22# next week.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:07 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
well nick at GS still uses the yellow spring on his vig...so you shouldn't need to think about another spring. anything stiffer and i think you can start to damage the turbo.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:32 AM   #13

Are you sure? I think on a different forum he says that in a T7 car, they put in the green one and "forget" about it....

Hopefully he will chime in....

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggenkid View Post
well nick at GS still uses the yellow spring on his vig...so you shouldn't need to think about another spring. anything stiffer and i think you can start to damage the turbo.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:51 AM   #14
Baz
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DViggen View Post
Are you sure? I think on a different forum he says that in a T7 car, they put in the green one and "forget" about it....

Hopefully he will chime in....
Im not sure what he said, but when you go up to 20-22 psi i would recommend just staying with the yellow spring and just shimming it (with the included spacers)
Old 06-25-2008, 07:00 AM   #15
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Green spring..

This is even what I run in my Viggen holding 30+ psi.

|
|

Old 06-25-2008, 07:13 AM   #16
Baz
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Green spring..

This is even what I run in my Viggen holding 30+ psi.
wow
Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #17
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

So I asked this before, but why does one buy a diverter valve with different springs? I understand the concept, but I have a viggen holding around 20-22 psi give or take and I have the hyperboost shorty which comes with one spring and it works great. Seems like a hassle getting one with all these springs/shims as there are many threads pertaining to what spring should one install. Then there are people like vigge who are running the stock bosch unit.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #18
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Nobody ever listens and thinks if they run a stiffer spring it will make more boost.. It is not a problem, put the valve in and be done with it. If you want to tinker with it turn directions and that will make a different noise.

|
|

Old 06-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #19
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

The one thing that I have never understood about running it backwards is that it is not only pushing up against a spring under boost. There is a vacuum line there supplying the exact pressure that the boost is. The reason why the spring is there is because the initial boost is not into the intake manifold yet, so the vacuum line is slower to respond.

I feel like running it backwards would be a negligible difference because of the fact there is spring tension plus equal pressures on both sides.

But at the same time, I can imagine high boost cars running backwards would be a better, safer method. Although my car is running 24psi, I have the lightest spring in the valve and it is not positioned backwards, I do not get any boost leaking from it.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in