Performance Plans for my 9-3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Performance Plans for my 9-3

Got some performance plans for the 9-3 that will be pretty exciting when done! Looking to stay in the 250-270HP+ range and to have a new MP Downpipe, MP upgraded Intercooler, Intake and ECU work done. I will post pics as I get everything done and installed and hopefully dyno slips to back it up.

Over all parts review so far (will post more reviews as I recieve or use parts):
1. MP Performance Downpipe w/cat - This is an excellent product and has extremley clean and perfect beads on the welds. Can't wait to get it on the car and feel the power!!!!

So now the question is when do the SoCal SAAbers goto the track to run some 1/4's to check some times and have some fun!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2005, 04:16 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to ricot83 Send a message via MSN to ricot83
DUDE!!!!.. thats all your shooting for? 250-270 i am right around 260 right now i think (220whp)....
all u need is the aero exhaust side, a 2.5 catback... and well thats it really

then o how could i have forgotten...GET YOUR CAR DYNOED!!!!!!!!

in May i will more than likely dyno my car again with an mp 3"dp, the new delivery pipe, the new intake,and all the crap i mildly ported....i think ill b maxed out as far as my fuel system goes...

Review of parts: I also have the mp 3" dp but i am waiting to receive a catalytic converter.... i also can not comment at this time about my larger delivery pipe, since the car is parked. so i will wait on the dp until i have driven around with the delivery pipe on
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-25-2005, 06:03 AM   #3
SAAB Road Master

Looks like fun.

There's a 1/4 strip up in Lancaster that I sometimes go to. It's open way more often than Fontucky.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:09 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricot83
DUDE!!!!.. thats all your shooting for? 250-270 i am right around 260 right now i think (220whp)....
all u need is the aero exhaust side, a 2.5 catback... and well thats it really

then o how could i have forgotten...GET YOUR CAR DYNOED!!!!!!!!

in May i will more than likely dyno my car again with an mp 3"dp, the new delivery pipe, the new intake,and all the crap i mildly ported....i think ill b maxed out as far as my fuel system goes...

Review of parts: I also have the mp 3" dp but i am waiting to receive a catalytic converter.... i also can not comment at this time about my larger delivery pipe, since the car is parked. so i will wait on the dp until i have driven around with the delivery pipe on
I am sure that it may tune out better than that but I am realisticly expecting 270HP on the Autobox. I am hoping it will be a larger number but better expect lower so if it is higher then I am happier!! Plus with the ECU tune it will be setup to handle the air/fuel needs and not lean out my ride!! I am thinking that I will be pushing 17PSI when all is said and done but the boost gauge will tell.

Adrian,
LACR is a great track to goto and I am game for either LACR, Pomona or Carlsbad. SO lets get out and do it!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:15 AM   #5
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehayes01
Adrian,
LACR is a great track to goto and I am game for either LACR, Pomona or Carlsbad. SO lets get out and do it!!!!!
How's this Friday night? It should be open, the weather is good, and I'm kinda bored anyway. I just hope I can find and install that 06 cm housing before then. This intake is causing the ECU to adapt downwards.

The blue line is stock MAF flow, and the pink is after an intake pipe:

Lovely, eh? It's still nearly as fast as usual. The slower-spooling 06 cm housing should fix the problem as the ECU only adapts downwards because of excessively quick spool up. (It moves too far outside the stock wastegate duty cycle map.)

Adrian~
Old 01-25-2005, 10:17 AM   #6
Elder

I would love to go this friaday but I am taking care of some family issues with my wife for the next 2 weeks or so. She will be having a surgery to repair a blocked kidney so I am out for a few weeks. Sorry man!!

Old 01-25-2005, 10:21 AM   #7

yo mang.. my car runs rich as balls so thats y i wanna see how it is with the dp and delivery pipe.... also about the expecting lower numbers thing....

well it goes like this:
i didnt realize how under-rated the cars really were, i heard tons of rumors about it but thought nothing of it... well since i didnt really have too much done to the car at the time i was only expecting like 185-190whp.. 195 tops... imagine my surprise when the number 219.8 showed up on the monitor.... i was like "holy crap.... just pull the car off the dyno and lemme take it home"

now hopefully this time ill pull the numbers i want
Old 01-25-2005, 10:44 AM   #8
Trollerator
Elder

rich as balls.... that must be an industry standard term.

Ricot you crack me up, mang...

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-25-2005, 11:06 AM   #9
Elder

That is definatley an industry standard term!!

Old 01-25-2005, 11:55 AM   #10
SAAB Road Master

Also keep in mind that not all dyno's read the same. I only managed 213 on a dynojet, but at 3,000ft elevation managed 96 mph trap speeds. IIRC you managed 94 mph, Rico?

In reality it's probably the dyno which is over-reading and other cars which are over-rated because horsepower sells. Put the Viggen on the road and measure the accelleration and you'll get around 190-195 to the wheels; that's about 230-240 at the crank. Put an Evo on the ground and it definitely doesn't act like it has "271 hp" ...

Adrian~

p.s. No worries, Steve. Another day perhaps.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:01 PM   #11

well adrian the only reason i think my numbers are correct... is because the other vehicles that were there which were volkswagens put down numbers consistent with other people with the same cars, mods, motors, etc..... otherwise i would also call bs on my numbers.... but if u wanna do that than u must call bs on about 30 other cars that went that day... most of the cars were actually putting down lower numbers than normally expected

edit:
also can we compare trap speeds since my car is auto and yours is not.....?
Old 01-25-2005, 12:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456
rich as balls.... that must be an industry standard term.

Ricot you crack me up, mang...
right outta the SAE manuals guys... c'mon glad someone gets my humor
Old 01-25-2005, 12:55 PM   #13
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
well adrian the only reason i think my numbers are correct... is because the other vehicles that were there which were volkswagens put down numbers consistent with other people with the same cars, mods, motors, etc..... otherwise i would also call bs on my numbers.... but if u wanna do that than u must call bs on about 30 other cars that went that day... most of the cars were actually putting down lower numbers than normally expected

edit:
also can we compare trap speeds since my car is auto and yours is not.....?
An automatic would have more crank hp for the same trap-speed, but that's only because it would have a greater drivetrain loss.

If you're looking at wheel horsepower only, usually trap speed is a good tool between similar weight cars.

One of my close friends here used to work at a dyno-shop; his boss would tell him to give the people what they want, and he had no trouble getting any numbers he wanted out of any car he wanted.

Good numbers = good business.

But eh ... you never know.

Adrian~
Old 01-25-2005, 02:03 PM   #14

well the guy that runs the dyno i personally know and he is the only one that touches the dyno and calibrates it. I know for a fact nothing is doctored at all
Old 01-26-2005, 06:26 AM   #15

Sounds like fun!

Who will make you the ECU?
What VW's where dynoed at the same time and what where the results for them in numbers?
Old 01-26-2005, 07:29 AM   #16

ECU?

there were a bunch of mk3 vr6s with mods anywhere from an intake all the way to blowers. there were also 1.8ts with chips exhausts one had a k03 with a larger ic fpr. apr chip... blah blah
there were about 30 cars so i am not listing numbers for all of them but here are some

mk3 vr6 intake exhaust 164hp
mk3 jetta ported head no other mods 159.17hp
mk2 jetta 8v g60 supercharger 146.73hp
mk4 vr6 bone stock 151.83hp
mk4 1.8t chip full exhaust intake and 4 bar fpr 203.28 hp

three are many more i can post like i said... there were 2 supercharged vr6s that put down 240hp range
Old 01-26-2005, 11:20 AM   #17
Elder

Quote:
ECU?
I think the ECU part was for me but I could be wrong.

The ECU tuner is not one of the big 3 so for now I am going to keep my tuners name quiet for a little bit but once the car is put together by early next week I will post all my details about my ECU tuner. In the interim I can tell you that I got a few more goodies for the car subframe brace, Steering Rack brace, Intercooler so it should be very fun when I get it all together next week.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #18
Elder

Oh also not to mention the Forge Recirculating valve that came by way of Scotland courtesty of Alansaab!! Thank you Alansaab!!!!!!

Old 01-26-2005, 12:06 PM   #19
TSLMember

no probs mate it should do the job nicely for the 93
Old 01-26-2005, 02:40 PM   #20
Elder

steve you better post some pics of this stuff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in