Toluene. Again. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Toluene. Again.

I know there are a few threads on this already, I just wanted to add my own experiences. This is also a response to the SQR tune issue myself, and a couple of other people are having. I have tried all of the things that Bdash has in regards to troubleshooting, so we will see what this does...

Anyway, I just tired a mix of 1gal toluene and 5 gallons of gas.

So basically, I have a tank of roughly 100 octane or so according to my math:

Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium

10%...94.2 Octane
20%...96.4 Octane
30%...98.6 Octane

The car seems to have gotten rid of the light throttle miss that it used to have.

The morning will be the ultimate test, as the car will be totally cold.

It also seems a bit more peppy in 1st gear. I have not had the car over 30 yet, so I'm going to leave early for work and do some WOT work, and see how things go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
anything you want to know about Toluene and cars.

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
oh just putting 100 octane from 76 in mine i can tell the diff. in the drive.. and in my wallet

Old 06-10-2008, 04:48 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
Castor Troy and I have had some good luck mixing e85 and 91/92. Maybe you should give that a try.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:48 AM   #5
Elder

palmer, i noticed the same thing running 30% E85 in my car.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:58 AM   #6
Elder

i honestly wouldnt be suprised if we are all getting bad gas lately. 2 stations near me have been fined huge amounts and temporarily shut down due to mixing 87 into the 93 tank. funny thing was last week my vig was having long starts and way down on power...then i realized i fulled up at one of the stations

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-10-2008, 06:30 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
How do you guys find your cars react to the mix of gasoline with the % of e85 added in there?

Old 06-10-2008, 06:53 AM   #8
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

^it sounds like all the benefits of an octane boost, just like the toluene.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:33 AM   #9
Elder

My car runs great on standard gas without having to eff around.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:48 AM   #10
Elder

thats cause you fail champ

mcrowley, my car is more resistant to heatsoak (shitty viggen IC in my stage 4), and it definitely pulls harder running 30% e85
Old 06-10-2008, 08:03 AM   #11
Elder

Interesting. I might have to see how mine reacts to it...pretty close to the same car.

30% e85 to 70% 93 unleaded I'm assuming?

Old 06-10-2008, 09:20 AM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via MSN to SAAB9-3USA
same experinces with e85
Old 06-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #13
Elder

30% e85 and 70% 91 (best we have up here)
Old 06-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #14
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Post mix report:

Car feels much peppier, less throttle, same fun.

The miss issue I had is still there, but about 50% less.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #15

i would love to try this little chemistry test in my Vig. anyone in the boston area know where one could get E85?

Casey
Old 06-11-2008, 04:23 AM   #16
lms

Do a search online. I can't remember but there is a site that will tell you all the stations within your area that carry it. So from what I'm reading the few on this board are mixing x amout of gas with x amount e85? And there is no harm in doing this at all?
Anyone try this with a T7? I went back and forth with Nick on this and to convert fully is a lot of work. Then you have to have the ecu custom tuned for it. In other words you can't just buy one of those kits on-line for around 400 bucks, plug in the injector pack and the converter they have and off you go. Maybe you can for a stock car?? Has anyone gone full e85 on a T7 that is modified besides Nick and his beast?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #17
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
Do a search online. I can't remember but there is a site that will tell you all the stations within your area that carry it. So from what I'm reading the few on this board are mixing x amout of gas with x amount e85? And there is no harm in doing this at all?
Anyone try this with a T7? I went back and forth with Nick on this and to convert fully is a lot of work. Then you have to have the ecu custom tuned for it. In other words you can't just buy one of those kits on-line for around 400 bucks, plug in the injector pack and the converter they have and off you go. Maybe you can for a stock car?? Has anyone gone full e85 on a T7 that is modified besides Nick and his beast?
My 9-5 Aero is Maptun Stg 2 E85 flex fuel - ECU, injectors, K&N. It is awesome, and if I am gentle I get 25 mpg mixed, but it's hard to be gentle with so much torque! I am loving $2.79/gallon.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #18
Elder

So, I filled up this past Sat w/9.8 gal of 93 oct and ~3 gal of E85 in my 900. So far so good...mileage has dropped by only about .4-.5mpg according to the SID. Idle is about the same, maybe a bit better (I'm probably imagining it). As far as the loud pedal is concerned.....whoa.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #19
SAABeginner

Are any of you running a mix in states with up to 10% ethanol content in the standard gasoline? Here all gas is basically e10. So what I'm wondering is are you actually running 30% e85 or is it actually more like 37% (ish)?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #20
Elder

In MN all gas is 10% ethanol added. In IA 10% is added to only the mid-grade (89) most of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in