My new valve cover!!! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to ricot83 Send a message via MSN to ricot83
My new valve cover!!!

This freakin thing took forever to do but it was worth it... and it still looks like crap... o well
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

Send a message via MSN to noxben Send a message via Yahoo to noxben
how did you do it? youself? would it help if you polished it? i am in the slow process of replacing my head gasket and am actually waiting for a haynes manual and gasket set. so this could give me something to do...since i have my valve cover off. i already played with my tbc and header

Ben Y.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-19-2005, 04:22 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

That looks great, now you just have to make sure it stays that pretty. How long did it take?

Old 01-19-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
SAAB Road Master

As you are probably well aware, raw aluminum will not stay that way very long and will develop a white oxidation residue. Finish it with a clear coat.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:13 PM   #5
Elder

Looks like he hand painted it, you can sort of see the streaks...

And what's up with your throttle body pipe, or should I say piece of rubber! That thing doesn't look like it can bring ANY air in!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:47 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
haha good spottin there, if im not mistaken thats a Furnco brand coupling from The Home Depot. i wouldnt reccomend putting any kind of boost through one of those as they arent reinforced with anything...ask me how i know.

Paul

Old 01-19-2005, 06:03 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Nice Job Ricot!! Already started doing the spare cover I have in the garage!!

Old 01-19-2005, 08:00 PM   #8

i didnt paint it... those "streaks" are scratches... i am gonna clear coat the thing soon i just didnt wanna keep kickin it around... as for the coupler i need to order a silicon coupler for that spot....
Old 01-19-2005, 08:35 PM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to spgdude
Try working your way down with grit on the sand paper. I did an aluminum valve cover for my zcar. I went with 80 grit to get casting marks out, then worked up from there, 180, 320, 440, all the way up to 1000 grit on a DA. Turned out pretty good. the 1000 grit actually will give it a polished look then you can clear it and it looks like a million bucks.
09' 9-5 SportCombi 5mt Stg1
Old 01-19-2005, 08:36 PM   #10

if i dont clear coat it i will have to polish the crap outta it like once a week i m sure.... i jsut dont have the motivation to take back off the car.. so if anything i will just clear coat it and thats it.... this is the second valve cover i have done and the first one came out better but i traded it for this one and started over... my next valve cover will be a saab 16v one with the lines ( a c900 valve cover) i will take my sweet time with that one and see how well i can keep everything together
Old 01-20-2005, 03:02 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

Send a message via ICQ to 9-3 Mike Send a message via MSN to 9-3 Mike
Nice work..... this is how it should look like!...

btw: Undergroundcustoms only charge you $70 for a polish like that.. =)

NEW:

1/8mile = 8,807sec @ 87,1mph
Old 01-20-2005, 04:50 AM   #12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to BORKAT Send a message via Yahoo to BORKAT
That looks SHARP.

Old 01-20-2005, 05:00 AM   #13
Elder

Where do I go to get that done?

Old 01-20-2005, 08:07 AM   #14

thats exactly what the first one i had looked like.. i had shaved all the lettering off so it was easier to do and less time consuming... but still took like 20 hrs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in