Stage 4 SQR + Delivery pipe - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Stage 4 SQR + Delivery pipe

I'm going to get a tune pretty soon... I have all the hardware I need to tune for stage 4. I'm also looking to pick up a delivery pipe from GS. Would I see any decent gains with adding the delivery pipe? GS recommends using this when over 300hp. What do you guys think? worth purchasing?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Elder

Not the delivery pipe. If you dont already get a stainless intake pipe, and a FMIC

What mods do you / will you have?
Old 05-31-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Even Nick says there is a better place to spend your money...

They look nice, but don't really do much.

I built my own, with the 3" elbow and the boost hit is smoother, but it does not feel any more powerful. I had the tubing already, and just had to buy the couplers and clamps.

Here is a link to the one I made:
https://saablink.net/forum/showthread...ht=intercooler

I have yet to dyno, but the butt dyno feels nothing.

Last edited by Palmer; 05-31-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 05-31-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB View Post
Not the delivery pipe. If you dont already get a stainless intake pipe, and a FMIC

What mods do you / will you have?
Agreed. The stainless intake pipe that is listed as a T-5 turbo conversion pipe for $160.00 really helped.

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 05-31-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudedog View Post
Agreed. The stainless intake pipe that is listed as a T-5 turbo conversion pipe for $160.00 really helped.
Isnt that only if you upgrade to TD04?
Old 05-31-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTalladegaKid View Post
I'm going to get a tune pretty soon... I have all the hardware I need to tune for stage 4. I'm also looking to pick up a delivery pipe from GS. Would I see any decent gains with adding the delivery pipe? GS recommends using this when over 300hp. What do you guys think? worth purchasing?
I guess you missed the big test Vigge did on this? Do a search, every aspect was discussed! Basically it causes the power or torque to hit a little later and robs a little torque and really does not give much of a gain on the top end.

If you have issues with the turbo hitting too hard, it can be a good way to make the power more usable by having it hit a little more gradual, but it does not really offer any gains at the 350hp range.

Nick tested ss pipe on his viggen and noted it heat soaked much faster than the plastic stock delivery pipe. So for him it was a loss in hp....

John
Old 05-31-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I still have the stock aluminum ic pipe on my 96 900 which is certainly making 300+hp.

Spend your $ on an intercooler before that pipe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to jdinneen
Agreed with everyone above - I have sqr stage 4 and heat soak is a nightmare - my next investment is definitely an intercooler. Great fun on cool nights though... you will love it.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:12 AM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
I still have the stock aluminum ic pipe on my 96 900 which is certainly making 300+hp.

Spend your $ on an intercooler before that pipe.
I have my std alu pipe intact and the car is proven to make 500+hp with it.
Tried a 2.5" aftermarket model, but found only negative gains with it and went be to the std pipe including the last cast bend.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:27 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
If anything, you can take off the last cast bend and if you look at the where the final coupler connects to it, there is a large casting wall that doesn't line up. Take a dremmel to smooth out that transition. It helped a minor amount but it was free. Not sure if anyone ever proved it actually did anything though. I will try to grab a picture.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigge View Post
Tried a 2.5" aftermarket model, but found only negative gains with it and went be to the std pipe including the last cast bend.
This is nuts.... After all my work to make my entire pressure side 2.5", I do have some need for lower spool and I am half tempted to put the stock pipe back on the car. I have wondered if it will actually help lower spool, but also make the car lose traction more easily and that was one thing I liked about adding the 2.5" hot side, it seemed to smooth the torque hit out some...

Lower spool would be good, but harder hitting torque would be bad... I might just have to give it a try and see how the car likes it...

Dang you Vigge, that just can't be true... How can a puny little bent up pipe with cast flat elbow flow better than a nice low angle bent 2.5" pipe with a nice 2.5" elbow??? Especially with over double the HP???

I would guess its the velocity of the smaller pipe and the fact that they probably tested and re-tested the design of the pipe and got the design with optimal flow. The pre-formed pipe with no junctions surely helps, but its hard to imagine it flows 300hp more no problem... This boggles me mind

John
Old 06-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #12
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Yeah, it's a big pill to swallow.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Saaboy Send a message via MSN to Saaboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigge View Post
lol! awesome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in