Stanchion arm bushings - poly? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to brewtide
Stanchion arm bushings - poly?

Hey,

Probably not the right forum, but I'm in process of ordering things for a complete front end overhaul suspension wise. Viggen springs under the bed, a broken strut mount, and a completely TOASTED Stanchion arm bushing have prompted the time and $ expenditure... I think the bilstein sports helped kill the mount in 1 1/2 years... driving style on Maine roads may have helped.

My question is this: I've already got the outer control arm poly bushings, and will be ordering the inner bushings and the sway bar bushings (and a new link, one is new)...

Is there anywhere to order a poly Stanchion arm bushing, where it connects to the subframe? Are these made? I didn't see them on genuinesaab and eeuroparts carries only the stock, seemingly 'pressed in' pieces. I know the poly are simply easier to install, hence my desire...

If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be rad of you...

cheers,
bny
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
POWERFLEX!

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...unt2=129386544
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
According to Nick they aren't really needed and thats the reason why he has never made them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:35 AM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to brewtide
Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
Thanks man, much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
According to Nick they aren't really needed and thats the reason why he has never made them.
I see where he is coming from, I was just wondering how hard the stockers are to install instead? I was simply going for a 'easier to install' route, as i know the poly bushes tend to be drop in replacements, when the stockers seem to be 'fight them in there' replacements.

Anyone replaced these before?

Thanks,
bny
Old 05-31-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
You should probably PM Dmitry, pretty sure he goes by the name Dip on here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtide View Post
Hey,

Probably not the right forum, but I'm in process of ordering things for a complete front end overhaul suspension wise. Viggen springs under the bed, a broken strut mount, and a completely TOASTED Stanchion arm bushing have prompted the time and $ expenditure... I think the bilstein sports helped kill the mount in 1 1/2 years... driving style on Maine roads may have helped.

My question is this: I've already got the outer control arm poly bushings, and will be ordering the inner bushings and the sway bar bushings (and a new link, one is new)...

Is there anywhere to order a poly Stanchion arm bushing, where it connects to the subframe? Are these made? I didn't see them on genuinesaab and eeuroparts carries only the stock, seemingly 'pressed in' pieces. I know the poly are simply easier to install, hence my desire...

If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be rad of you...

cheers,
bny
I just rebuilt my entire front end with poly bushings and new control arms with new ball joints. I talked to Nick and he stated to "NOT" replace the stanchion bushings with poly, made for a very ruff ride and offered little improvement if any.

So, what I did is replace all the bushings with poly except the stanchion arms and I replaced those with new OE saab rubber They do have a thin metal sleave inside that wears out, so its a good idea to inspect those and replace if worn.

John
Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
I just rebuilt my entire front end with poly bushings and new control arms with new ball joints. I talked to Nick and he stated to "NOT" replace the stanchion bushings with poly, made for a very ruff ride and offered little improvement if any.

So, what I did is replace all the bushings with poly except the stanchion arms and I replaced those with new OE saab rubber They do have a thin metal sleave inside that wears out, so its a good idea to inspect those and replace if worn.

John
What tools did you use to get the bushings back in to the stanchion arm? I was able to get the old ones out, but am not sure as to what would be the best course of action to put the new ones back in...any help is appreciated.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:38 AM   #8
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to lowbudgethero
Quote:
Originally Posted by pahkaju View Post
What tools did you use to get the bushings back in to the stanchion arm? I was able to get the old ones out, but am not sure as to what would be the best course of action to put the new ones back in...any help is appreciated.
i used gear puller and a 36 mm socket
Old 03-06-2010, 06:28 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I use a mallet. A little grease and they slide right in. A bench vise works too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 03-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #10
SAABeginner

Thanks for the tips, will try to work on them tomorrow...
Old 03-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
SAABeginner

I am also intending to replace these bushings. I found what appears to be the stock bushings on eeuroparts.com, but when you click on the description it describes them as being near the swaybar link... so I am not sure if they're are actually the right ones. Considering how the stanchion arm bushings sort of poke outward from the arm, is it more difficult than usual to press these bad boys in? Any luck yet?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
TSLMember

I have run the P Flex poly bushings for a while...

Cant wait to go back to OEM!

They make it damn near impossible to get the ball joint back in to the strut, or put the stanchion bolt back in!!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

Maybe the dealer sent me the wrong bushings last time, but when i ordered them they were totally wrong. Came with the little sleeve but were too tall. Anyone know part numbers for OE bushings, cause i would LOVE to not replace the whole arms.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
srp
Elder

I bought mine from the saab site...
http://www.thesaabsite.com/93/93fron...ion98-2003.htm

Man are those expensive bushings.

NG ones are cheaper depending on VIN...
http://www.thesaabsite.com/900new/NG...suspension.htm

Wonder how different the bushings really are...
Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

if i remember right i payed 40 each but ended up sending them back due to the tallness issue. Maybe my parts guy just looked up the wrong thing. I am going to try that route again tomorrow, cause that clunking is really getting to me.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

So my bushings connecting the stanchion arms to the subframe are shot to hell...

Is the consensus that I should just buy two of these from Eeuro?

Or are these difficult to install? I'm looking to install these bushings without dropping the subframe or anything...if the poly ones from powerflex are a lot easier to install I'll just do those, unless the ride is really that much worse.

Any advice?
Old 03-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #17
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveiron9688 View Post
So my bushings connecting the stanchion arms to the subframe are shot to hell...

Is the consensus that I should just buy two of these from Eeuro?

Or are these difficult to install? I'm looking to install these bushings without dropping the subframe or anything...if the poly ones from powerflex are a lot easier to install I'll just do those, unless the ride is really that much worse.

Any advice?
Bump...anyone? The current bushings are basically not even there anymore, that's how bad they are.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #18
SAAB Road Master

installing mine this weekend. Removal was easy Pita to install, need a press or really large vice to put the new ones in. I got one half-way installed this past weekend, until i ran outta vice.

2010 Ducati 1198s
2003 Audi RS6 Revo Stage 2 (515/500)
2000 Audi A6 Avant (For Sale)
2000 Viggen-JZW tuned GT3071 .64A/R topmount
1998 Dodge Quadcab-Kenne Bell SC
Old 03-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #19
srp
Elder

They need to be pressed in and out. Can probably use a ball joint press instead of a typical press.

Powerflex ones do not need to be pressed in. You have to take them off the car anyway to have the old ones removed, might as well buy the saab ones and have them pressed in as the old ones are pressed out.

May also need these as well: eEuroparts - Sleeve (stanchion arm bushing) - # 4246062
Old 03-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #20
SAAB Road Master

Can't press the new ones (stockers) in with ball joint press, risk damaging the new bushing, unless you have a large enough socket adapter to catch the sleeve.

Either way, mine was toite as shat, going in.

2010 Ducati 1198s
2003 Audi RS6 Revo Stage 2 (515/500)
2000 Audi A6 Avant (For Sale)
2000 Viggen-JZW tuned GT3071 .64A/R topmount
1998 Dodge Quadcab-Kenne Bell SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in