Saab Link Forums banner

Stanchion arm bushings - poly?

8K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  srp 
#1 ·
Hey,

Probably not the right forum, but I'm in process of ordering things for a complete front end overhaul suspension wise. Viggen springs under the bed, a broken strut mount, and a completely TOASTED Stanchion arm bushing have prompted the time and $ expenditure... I think the bilstein sports helped kill the mount in 1 1/2 years... driving style on Maine roads may have helped.

My question is this: I've already got the outer control arm poly bushings, and will be ordering the inner bushings and the sway bar bushings (and a new link, one is new)...

Is there anywhere to order a poly Stanchion arm bushing, where it connects to the subframe? Are these made? I didn't see them on genuinesaab and eeuroparts carries only the stock, seemingly 'pressed in' pieces. I know the poly are simply easier to install, hence my desire...

If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be rad of you...

cheers,
bny

#4 ·
Thanks man, much appreciated.

According to Nick they aren't really needed and thats the reason why he has never made them.
I see where he is coming from, I was just wondering how hard the stockers are to install instead? I was simply going for a 'easier to install' route, as i know the poly bushes tend to be drop in replacements, when the stockers seem to be 'fight them in there' replacements.

Anyone replaced these before?

Thanks,
bny

#6 ·
I just rebuilt my entire front end with poly bushings and new control arms with new ball joints. I talked to Nick and he stated to "NOT" replace the stanchion bushings with poly, made for a very ruff ride and offered little improvement if any.

So, what I did is replace all the bushings with poly except the stanchion arms and I replaced those with new OE saab rubber :) They do have a thin metal sleave inside that wears out, so its a good idea to inspect those and replace if worn.

John

#11 ·
I am also intending to replace these bushings. I found what appears to be the stock bushings on eeuroparts.com, but when you click on the description it describes them as being near the swaybar link... so I am not sure if they're are actually the right ones. Considering how the stanchion arm bushings sort of poke outward from the arm, is it more difficult than usual to press these bad boys in? Any luck yet?

#16 ·
So my bushings connecting the stanchion arms to the subframe are shot to hell...

Is the consensus that I should just buy two of these from Eeuro?

Or are these difficult to install? I'm looking to install these bushings without dropping the subframe or anything...if the poly ones from powerflex are a lot easier to install I'll just do those, unless the ride is really that much worse.

Any advice?

#18 ·
installing mine this weekend. Removal was easy Pita to install, need a press or really large vice to put the new ones in. I got one half-way installed this past weekend, until i ran outta vice.

#20 ·
Can't press the new ones (stockers) in with ball joint press, risk damaging the new bushing, unless you have a large enough socket adapter to catch the sleeve.

Either way, mine was toite as shat, going in.

#21 ·
Mine are basically pressed out anyways, seeing as all they are doing is bouncing around in there. They're REALLY bad. I'm tempted to just go powerflex for ease of installation...although if I just took off the stanchion arms, I could get the bushings pressed in, right? No need to drop the sub frame yet again, hopefully.

#22 ·
Nope no need to drop the sub-frame, just remove the rear bolts and then unbolt the stanchion arm from the control arm.

#24 ·
Yeah don't forget the sleeves. Also, make sure you label them for the proper side, so you don't do two the same way like I did...oops. They're not terrible to press in. I heated my stanchion arms, froze the bushings so they'd shrink (I think it helped, YMMV) then very carefully seated the bushings with a mallet and socket. After that I pushed them the rest of the way with a vice and same big sockets. Not terribly difficult, just time consuming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.