T5 Suite'd the 9-3! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
JK
Elder

T5 Suite'd the 9-3!

All I can say from my short test drive in the rain tonight...this is neat!

I just did a light stage 2 tune, as I have yet to install the 3" downpipe on the car, and it still has the "there and back again" intercooler. But damn, its pretty fun to have full boost on that car.

Now I know what people get that steering rack brace for, let the car get rolling, then nail the throttle and the damn thing really does want to switch lanes on you

The only issue I noticed right away, other than the "torque steer," was the fact that the car lugs a bit right before coming to a stop. Once you are stopped the RPMs come back up, but right before stopping the RPMs are too low for my liking. I'll clean everything out related to idle, and change the trans fluid, but if that doesn't change anything I'll have to mess with the decel maps I think. Or something along those lines.

Anyway, I'll update how I feel about it, and if I run into any more funny business as we get some miles on the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
Elder

Nice.

I know I need better tires now that I have stage one on the Aero.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-29-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Elder

Yay!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
find me a job in MN so I can move there and borrow our BDM.

nice work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 05-29-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Excellent. Now picture driving it with no rack clamp/brace/stock suspension & a "stage 4"...scary.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to jdinneen
I don't get what the big deal is with torque steer, other than lowering springs and poly sway bar endlink bushings my car has stock supsension, and it's stage 4, and it's not bad at all. I mean, sure, if you're not holding the wheel (why??) it will steer itself if you mash the gas pedal, but otherwise not too bad? Not saying you guys are making it up I just don't know what I'm missing.

I am supremely jealous that you have nearly free tuning though!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:46 PM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinneen View Post
I don't get what the big deal is with torque steer, other than lowering springs and poly sway bar endlink bushings my car has stock supsension, and it's stage 4, and it's not bad at all. I mean, sure, if you're not holding the wheel (why??) it will steer itself if you mash the gas pedal, but otherwise not too bad? Not saying you guys are making it up I just don't know what I'm missing.

X2 (can't wait for something for T7 )

Coming from my 9-5 Aero (what is this torque steer you speak of?) to my best friend's stage 3 Viggen (look up torque steer in the dictionary, and you see a viggen) I will tell you that its a night and day difference. Even with one hand firmly on the steering wheel (and the other one quickly moving off the gear shift back onto the steering wheel), the car has a mind of its own, sometimes its scary, especially in 2nd gear. Even with the steering brace and viggen rescue kit, its a huge difference in comparison to a vehicle that doesn't torque steer.
In the end though, as long as you're expecting the fight from the steering wheel, its manageable and fun as hell!

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Old 05-30-2008, 04:51 AM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Jk is this 9-3 the car you were talking about when you were selling the 900's?

Congrats,

How did your first official T5 Suite tune work out for you? Any hang-ups? Easily acquired bins?

Adam
Old 05-30-2008, 04:54 AM   #9
SAAB Road Master

T7 suite would be way cool. Yes tq steer in the viggen can get a bit hairy coming out of a turn and mashing on it in second even with the rescue kit can get exciting
Old 05-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #10
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by adshaft View Post
Jk is this 9-3 the car you were talking about when you were selling the 900's?

Congrats,

How did your first official T5 Suite tune work out for you? Any hang-ups? Easily acquired bins?

Adam
No, this is the 9-3 that we've had since 2003 or 2004 I think. This is the car my fiance drives on a regular basis.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinneen View Post

It's not bad until you know what you are missing.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:01 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
At stage 4 jdinneen you should be all over no matter how strong you are at holding the wheel straight if you mash it in second. The torque brace is on my next to order list.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:12 AM   #13
Flirting With TSL Addiction

i personally love my cars torque steer, it keeps it interesting and gives you a challenge. its kinda like driving a rwd car in the snow with performance tires. you just dont know exactly whats gonna happen and keeps you awake.
GS stuff
oil leak
Old 05-30-2008, 07:23 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
There are times its fun but then there are times I wish it would keep itself planted in the lane.

Example: Other day semi decided I didn't exsist on a 3 lane highway and wanted to move over into the middle lane where I was. Dropped it into third and shot ahead just as he was getting ready to move over. I know I had to have scared the people in the lane next to me as my car lurched towards them.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #15
c900 Grognard
Elder

My old NG900 had been tuned by the PO in some unknown way (boosted well into the "red") - that thing had ridiculous torque steer, I remember one time I went to pass someone hard in second gear, I got on it and before I even went to steer into the left lane I was already in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:32 AM   #16
JK
Elder

Well, hopefully Jen does not get thrown for a loop

She drove the car to work today, she called to tell me that she finally got a nursing job and didn't say anything bad about the car (she'll usually call me if she gets a brake light out)...so it must be OK so far

She was the one complaining that it felt like the car didn't have any balls after she got used to it. She used to think it was a rocket back when she traded her Cavalier in for the 9-3
Old 05-30-2008, 07:45 AM   #17
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
She got a job?

SWEET!
Old 05-30-2008, 07:49 AM   #18
Elder

Congrats to your fiance Jessop.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #19
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
She got a job?

SWEET!
About time.

Free loader.

Congrats to her man!

I wanna ride in the 9-3 to see what it feels like.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:17 PM   #20
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
So...I am staring at the innards of a tune right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in