Saab Link Forums banner

T5 Suite'd the 9-3!

3K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  Baz 
#1 ·
All I can say from my short test drive in the rain tonight...this is neat!

I just did a light stage 2 tune, as I have yet to install the 3" downpipe on the car, and it still has the "there and back again" intercooler. But damn, its pretty fun to have full boost on that car.

Now I know what people get that steering rack brace for, let the car get rolling, then nail the throttle and the damn thing really does want to switch lanes on you :lol:

The only issue I noticed right away, other than the "torque steer," was the fact that the car lugs a bit right before coming to a stop. Once you are stopped the RPMs come back up, but right before stopping the RPMs are too low for my liking. I'll clean everything out related to idle, and change the trans fluid, but if that doesn't change anything I'll have to mess with the decel maps I think. Or something along those lines.

Anyway, I'll update how I feel about it, and if I run into any more funny business as we get some miles on the car.

#6 ·
I don't get what the big deal is with torque steer, other than lowering springs and poly sway bar endlink bushings my car has stock supsension, and it's stage 4, and it's not bad at all. I mean, sure, if you're not holding the wheel (why??) it will steer itself if you mash the gas pedal, but otherwise not too bad? Not saying you guys are making it up I just don't know what I'm missing.

I am supremely jealous that you have nearly free tuning though!

#7 ·
I don't get what the big deal is with torque steer, other than lowering springs and poly sway bar endlink bushings my car has stock supsension, and it's stage 4, and it's not bad at all. I mean, sure, if you're not holding the wheel (why??) it will steer itself if you mash the gas pedal, but otherwise not too bad? Not saying you guys are making it up I just don't know what I'm missing.

I am supremely jealous that you have nearly free tuning though!
X2 (can't wait for something for T7 ;) )

Coming from my 9-5 Aero (what is this torque steer you speak of?) to my best friend's stage 3 Viggen (look up torque steer in the dictionary, and you see a viggen) I will tell you that its a night and day difference. Even with one hand firmly on the steering wheel (and the other one quickly moving off the gear shift back onto the steering wheel), the car has a mind of its own, sometimes its scary, especially in 2nd gear. Even with the steering brace and viggen rescue kit, its a huge difference in comparison to a vehicle that doesn't torque steer.
In the end though, as long as you're expecting the fight from the steering wheel, its manageable and fun as hell!

#25 ·
At stage 4 jdinneen you should be all over no matter how strong you are at holding the wheel straight if you mash it in second.
I'm not strong at all, in fact I'm a tiny guy. Maybe it's just the way the 2.0 delivers the power less quickly than the 2.3 or something. I hear about this legendary torque steer but my car has more power, less suspension, and the same chassis/drivetrain and the wheel doesn't tug out of my hand. Weird. Means I need more power I guess.

If I end up getting cams I am going to be grilling all of you on your T5 Suite knowledge so prepare!

#13 ·
i personally love my cars torque steer, it keeps it interesting and gives you a challenge. its kinda like driving a rwd car in the snow with performance tires. you just dont know exactly whats gonna happen and keeps you awake.

#14 ·
There are times its fun but then there are times I wish it would keep itself planted in the lane.

Example: Other day semi decided I didn't exsist on a 3 lane highway and wanted to move over into the middle lane where I was. Dropped it into third and shot ahead just as he was getting ready to move over. I know I had to have scared the people in the lane next to me as my car lurched towards them.

#15 ·
My old NG900 had been tuned by the PO in some unknown way (boosted well into the "red") - that thing had ridiculous torque steer, I remember one time I went to pass someone hard in second gear, I got on it and before I even went to steer into the left lane I was already in it :lol:

#16 ·
Well, hopefully Jen does not get thrown for a loop :lol:

She drove the car to work today, she called to tell me that she finally got a nursing job and didn't say anything bad about the car (she'll usually call me if she gets a brake light out)...so it must be OK so far :)

She was the one complaining that it felt like the car didn't have any balls after she got used to it. She used to think it was a rocket back when she traded her Cavalier in for the 9-3 :lol:

#26 ·
On my Stg 4 Nordic I had decent amount of torque steer but nothing I couldnt easily prepare for and control. I had stock suspension, bushings, and no clamp/brace. Maybe some are better than others. Maybe its the tires? I did have 225's. I am sure smaller tires would want to steer off harder.

#27 ·
Well I do have 205 width tires so your theory could hold well there Mark.

I found that with the new aluminum intercooler I just put on the other day my torque steer is deffinitely less violent. Should be all but gone once I get the rack brace.

#29 ·
Well I do have 205 width tires so your theory could hold well there Mark.

I found that with the new aluminum intercooler I just put on the other day my torque steer is deffinitely less violent. Should be all but gone once I get the rack brace.
I assume the IC allows for smoother flow to bring on the power smoother as well. I did have the ETS so that might be another thing.

I should start looking at the T5 Suite (have it DL'ed) and mess with my beater.

#35 ·
To be honest, I don't know who I got the BDM interface from. It was from Germany, and I posted a link to it in a different T5 Suite thread. It is a paralell port BDM interface. The computer I am using is a laptop with Windows XP, but I booted the BD32 program in dos.

Is the difference from stock to stage one pretty noticeable? How do you like it so far?
For my car, with stage 2 it is VERY noticable.

#38 ·
I think in your case you should go to stage 2. You don't have to romp on it all the time, but stage 2 for a stock clutch should be alright...that is depending on how many miles it has.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.