My new Autometer GS Series Gauges - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

My new Autometer GS Series Gauges

Got my Autometer Boost/Vac, Oil Temp and Oil Pressure Gauges installed. These are the new GS Series with match with the factory lighting almost dead on. I've wired the headlight on/off to the bottem extra 'fog light' switch seen in the 1st pic....so no need to relocate the factory switch into that bottem panel as some have done.

x-VWer:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Couple questions...

What switch is that next to the dimmer? Is it hooked up to turn on the lights? Just on and off or parking lights too?

Where did you get that guage mount for the center console? A VW part?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromer View Post
Couple questions...

What switch is that next to the dimmer? Is it hooked up to turn on the lights? Just on and off or parking lights too?
That's an Auto Leveling headlamp switch - for Euro cars it looks like.
for your repair needs

Old 05-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Couple questions...

What switch is that next to the dimmer? Is it hooked up to turn on the lights?
Switch next to the dimmer is the European headlight leveling switch....got it for $5 on ebay-UK. I use it as an on/off or kill switch for my sub....position 0-1-2 the sub is off, position 3 turns the sub on.
The on/off switch for the headlights is the lower up-side-down fog light.

As a side note, the TCS switch in the last pic is actually wired into a garage door remote behind the console and I use it to open/close my garage.

Quote:
Just on and off or parking lights too?
the on/off control the headlights and parking....they are all on or all off. Didn't wire up an ability fore parking only as I never used parking lights only in my life in any car.

Quote:
Where did you get that guage mount for the center console? A VW part?
Gauge pod is from SLEET here on this forum....$55 to my door: https://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25788

x-VWer:

Last edited by perkj; 05-29-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
JZW
Elder

Cool, what kind of oil temps are you seeing? What kind of range?

John
Old 05-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
Elder

Thanks for the info, real clean work there.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
I wish they had a black bezel (sp) instead of the aluminum/chrome. Nice use of factory buttons.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
Elder

Wicked Awesome!

It matches up really well.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks900SE View Post
I wish they had a black bezel (sp) instead of the aluminum/chrome. Nice use of factory buttons.
just paint it. not too hard.

great job. nice clean installs and i love the use of factory swithes for other things.

That euro leveling switch has 3 settings right? would it be easy enough to make one be headlights off, another parking lights on, and the final everything on? if so i may have to find one.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to jdinneen
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
if so i may have to find one.
x2, this would be a great replacement for the headlight switch for people who have a boost gauge in the light switch hole. if it's remotely easy to wire. anything above remotely and I'm out.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Quote:
2nd. looks great but i would prefer a black/dark bezel, it's the only thing keeping me away from these. i don't feel like painting them either.... lazy.

nice work with the switches, did you ever consider re-labeling them? might be interesting to do.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #12
Elder

OOO, re-labeling, now that would be really really cool.

This is all so vw-ish, and I mean that in a good way. So many dubbers keep their cars so clean, in every possible way.

From my experience, you can get factory "decoy" switches to work for many things. Its as easy as using a test light.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #13

Quote:
They do make the Z-Series which is all black, but it doesn't have the factory looking back lighting. Additionaly the Viggens come with the Chrome interior door handles and if you note my Blaupunkt MP74 has chome on it, when you look at the interior as a whole it all blends quite nicely:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
just paint it. not too hard.
That euro leveling switch has 3 settings right? would it be easy enough to make one be headlights off, another parking lights on, and the final everything on? if so i may have to find one.
This was my origional thought, but because the leveling switch positions are ohms based vs. voltage on/off based its just won't work without a complete re-mapping/solder of its mini-cicuit board. To even get the #3 position to work as an on/off I had to cut a wire link in its circuit board. So its doable, but just not worth the time investment IMO when the extra fog light switch works perfectly

Quote:
This is all so vw-ish, and I mean that in a good way.
SOOOOOO FUNNNY you say this because all of my previous cars were VeeDubs and where I got the idea from for my Viggen...'83 Rabbit GTI, '85 GTI and '90 GTI...and in all of them I had extra factory switches wired up to everything....stater kill, sub kill, rev limiter/valet mode enablement, fuel control enablement, etc etc. The A2 GTI had like 7 or 8 blanks switch spots that I ended up wiring extra switches too

Quote:
So many dubbers keep their cars so clean, in every possible way.
Even though all of my VeeDubs were daily drivers, all were either VW or Import show winners in the early to mid '90s....and all were the "sleeper" look, none of this body kit/ricer stuff....just clean cars that you just knew had a swagger about them. My '90 GTI a multi-winner and even took home a best of show. Those were the days and I regret selling each one of them.

x-VWer:

Last edited by perkj; 05-29-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkj View Post
They do make the Z-Series which is all black, but it doesn't have the factory looking back lighting. .
i have autometer z series gauge for my boost, oil pressure, and oil temp and they come with the green bulb "condom" and it looks very close to stock just like yours. and i make those center console pods by the way.

-- looking good by the way
Old 05-29-2008, 08:15 PM   #15
Elder

Very clean installs - nice work! Love the switches too

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 05-30-2008, 08:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleet View Post
i have autometer z series gauge for my boost, oil pressure, and oil temp and they come with the green bulb "condom" and it looks very close to stock just like yours. and i make those center console pods by the way.

-- looking good by the way

On those zSeries, what I meant was that it doesn't have green backlight thru the numbers like the factory gauges.

Again awesome job on the pod!

x-VWer:

Old 05-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Man even after rebate those aren't cheap. I was thinking about with how nice they looked about replacing my ultra lite series with these.....but damn.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkj View Post
On those zSeries, what I meant was that it doesn't have green backlight thru the numbers like the factory gauges.

Again awesome job on the pod!
yeah they do. the light that comes with it has a red and a green "condom" and it looks very stock.
not the best picture but you can see the boost gauge up in the left side and the two down in the ash tray area. the 2 in the ash tray were brand new and after a while it will slightly darken like the boost gauge and looks almost identical to stock lighting.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #19

To further clarify, the zSeries have the "around the dial" lighting which means the green light is shined on the outside of the dial and then the light is reflexed off the numbers where as the GS Series has "thru the dial" lighting which the green light shines from behind through the numbers.

So when I say the GS Series is more Factory like is because the stock gauge panel is "thru the dial lighting", where as say in my old VWs the "around the dial" was the better match

...its an attention to detail thing

x-VWer:

Last edited by perkj; 05-30-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #20

ahhhhh i gotcha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in