Saab Link Forums banner

GT30 is better with a 4" intake

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Spoolin900SE 
#1 ·

I know I have been absent for a while around here so I thought I would update everyone. I have had my GT3071R for about 1.5 years now and it finally made it onto the car about 2 months ago, and now that I have graduated I have time to show it off. I built my own equal length header on a jig for it last summer from mild 1.5" tubing, TIG welded and back purged. The jig was designed to position the turbo so that the original connector on the DP could be cut off and replaced with v-band adapter to avoid re-working the DP. I did this with the thought of perhaps making more headers to sell. I had the header and hot side coated by Jet Hot which turned out to be way more than I was initially quoted but well worth it. I am running a Tial 38mm external WG routed back into the down pipe. SS braided lines and AN fittings feed the turbo. The intake piping is all mandrel bent 4" aluminum tubing and silicone couplers with a KN filter tucked into the fender. It currently rubs on the hood a bit where it comes over the power steering pump because it is hitting one of the lines, just need to rework it all a little. The stock fans were replaced with a flexlite one to make room.
I blew my 156,000 miles old head gasket within 3 days of driving it.
When I replaced my head gasket I also disconnected my balance shafts and blocked off the tension oil hole with the GS block off plate. Car ran great for another 3 weeks until the other day I lost oil pressure. Engine should be fine as I caught it right away. I suspect it to be the block off plate even though the threads where cleaned and loctited. Havent had the chance to pull the timing cover to find out yet though.
Here is a link to some pictures of the entire process, I will write up the full details eventually.
http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk319/Spoolin900SE/GT30/?action=view&current=IMG_2085.jpg

See less See more
#5 ·
Looks great, who is the tuner?

#10 ·
The transmission has been on its way out for a little while, but this didnt help. It whines in every gear now.
As of now i am only running 15psi and still on my JSP stage 4 software. I have wide band that I keep one eye on though.
Yeah it wasnt cheap to do like the TD04, but a lot more fun and sweet when it spools and sounds like it is going to suck in any small creature that may be so unlucky. Lag is obviously longer but if you are wide open and shifting at the top of each gear it overlaps nicely and there is almost no lag. The lag in first actually makes it a little more manageable.

#11 ·
Very nice, you have the better flowing t3 gt3071 too! That has the nice larger 60mm turbine wheel! That set-up show flow great and with the external waste-gate, it should be a monster:cool:

Nice pics too!

John

#15 ·
Sorry I lost the internets for a couple of days.
The AF ratios looked pretty good at wide open and the waste gate at one bar. If anything they are on the rich side. If i remember correctly it was between 10.5 to 12 at full boost through the upper rpm band. The only time i saw it go lean was lean at low boost non full throttle. I have the 50lb/hr injectors that Jack sold me with my custom tune back like 2 years ago, not stage 4 as i said before. Stock fpr and pump.

As for the headers, not sure yet. I will see later on in the summer when I maybe make myself a stainless version. Even though i graduated I still dont have time to work on my personal stuff yet cause I am the team leader of the UMD Formula SAE team and we are getting ready for a competition in Cali at the end of June. But after that all Saab stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.