Ng 900 nordic race car - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
JZW
Elder

Ng 900 nordic race car

I thought this nordic race car was very interesting as it has a lot of the same exact ideas that I had with my ng900. It has a 2.3 built motor with forged pistons, no balance shafts, water/methonal injection, gt30bb turbo, tubular manifold, nice big ic, enem cams, arp head studs. Very similar to my car except the fully gutted interior with race seats and the nice LSD and gearbox.

Full 25mm rear arb, special springs, evo brakes....

Its a nice set-up for the track... Check it:

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgaller...Saab-Track-Car

John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
Elder

nice
Old 05-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Yep I need to get Wessy a set of my springs.. He has been bugging me for a while on them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 05-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

ha is nice was looking round it the other day when picking my rebuilt viggen box up. keeps stripping the teeth on third gear and the engine brace to the bulkhead made a hole in the bulkhead! must be a beast lol.

nick makes sure you get them too him before july as i wana see how it performs on them before i make a decision on what springs rates i want.
cheers, neil.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
"No balance shafts" was that a misprint? I think I remember yankton doing this, but caused the failure the first time around at soc05.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 05-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Elder

i seem to remember reading about somebody who simply removed the balance shafts, without putting a plug in. that is a recipe for disaster
Old 05-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
"No balance shafts" was that a misprint? I think I remember yankton doing this, but caused the failure the first time around at soc05.
i think his leaked a little but the problem i believe, was the wrong crank bearings.. no oil = failure
Old 05-29-2008, 02:26 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

it has a b206 block from an early n/a ng900 these had no balancer shafts from new so stronger and lighter block as far as i know. you have to tap out the feed for the oil squirters though as the n/a didnt need them so they werent fitted. oh and theres no return hole for the turbo in the block either.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #9
JZW
Elder

Quote:

There are tons of us that have removed the balance shaft chains... I have had mine out on both my saabs for over 2 years now. Nick now makes a tensioner plug that keeps the problem from occuring.

The issue was that on occasion, the balance chain tensioner would blow the piston out and then you would loose all oil pressure....

Kyankton did this on his new monster ng900, he just made a blocking plate for the tensioner hole, looked just like Nick's...

The nordic race cars uses a block with no balance chains at all..... The block was not designed for them...
John
Old 05-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
There are tons of us that have removed the balance shaft chains... I have had mine out on both my saabs for over 2 years now. Nick now makes a tensioner plug that keeps the problem from occuring.
Yes, I'm quite aware, however the quote was shafts, not chains. As in no balance shafts, I have my own build going on, and one of the engine blocks had a knackerd up shaft sprocket on one side. I sill have the other engine, but want to review options here.
Quote:
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 05-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #11
Flirting With TSL Addiction

as some maybe aware im planning on maybe going bigger with the saab and i been thinking about the balance chain and considering doing awya with it or keeping it. now someone enlighten me but it seems less worry-some to just keep it all in and not mess with it really. could someone please give the pros and cons to keeping it in or taking it out
Old 05-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrightman View Post
it has a b206 block from an early n/a ng900 these had no balancer shafts from new so stronger and lighter block as far as i know. you have to tap out the feed for the oil squirters though as the n/a didnt need them so they werent fitted. oh and theres no return hole for the turbo in the block either.
as far as i know we never got the b206 over here in the US, sounds like its a neat block though, it would be nice to not have any balance shafts to deal with at all.

Paul

Old 05-31-2008, 12:02 PM   #13
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Yes, I'm quite aware, however the quote was shafts, not chains. As in no balance shafts, I have my own build going on, and one of the engine blocks had a knackerd up shaft sprocket on one side. I sill have the other engine, but want to review options here.

Ok, sorry, I was not sure if you knew the difference You are right and if you remove the shafts themselves, there is nothing to block the oil passeges and keep the oil pressure up.

Nick made some aluminum inserts, but the only advantage would weight and I personally don't think its worth the time and money and effort to save the 6-8 lbs or whatever they are...

John
Old 05-31-2008, 12:07 PM   #14
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleet View Post
as some maybe aware im planning on maybe going bigger with the saab and i been thinking about the balance chain and considering doing awya with it or keeping it. now someone enlighten me but it seems less worry-some to just keep it all in and not mess with it really. could someone please give the pros and cons to keeping it in or taking it out
Pros: Less recipricating mass for the motor to turn. Its like a lightly lightened flywheel. Takes less inertia to get the parts moving with it removed.
The balance chain guides and parts can fail and take the motor out!!! This will not be an issue with chain removed. Don't have to rebuild or spend money and time on that part of the engine anymore.

Cons: If you do not plug the balance chain tensioner hole, 20 buck part from Nick, you could have the balance chain tensioner blow its piston out and you could lose oil pressure.

The second biggest reason to not remove balance chain is the increased amount of vibration, why they are there to begin with, and with the 2.0 motor its not bad at all, but with a 2.3 motor, the vibration at idle is worse.
If vibration at idle bothers you, do not remove the chain! Once moving I can not notice any vibration issues, but they are there with my poly motor mounts and 2.3 motor at idle. Makes my mirrors buzz....

John
Old 05-31-2008, 02:28 PM   #15
Flirting With TSL Addiction

to me it doesnt seem really worth the hassle to take that out. i guess mine will stay.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:49 PM   #16
Avid TSL User

mine vibrates like mad with no balancer chains, lightened flywheel and lightened crank, then polly engine and gearbox mounts. infact its like a motorbike vibrating bolts undone sometimes! on a 2.0 id take them out but leave them in on a 2.3 unless you are going for lighter forged pistons then things maybe inproved slightly.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:08 AM   #17
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleet View Post
to me it doesnt seem really worth the hassle to take that out. i guess mine will stay.
Its debatable how much of a difference it makes, but I would not tear the timing cover off just to take the chain out. I have done mine when I was rebuilding the timing chain and guides anyway.

Well, my first one I did it while I had the oil pan off to clean the pick-up screen... Just cut the chain with a dremal and pulled it out through the bottom with vice grips....

John
Old 06-04-2008, 01:27 PM   #18
Elder

Ok, so its on with just deleting the chain. I just had to order a spare dizzy cap blanking plate for the head, and am dropping off a con rod with a snapped and stretched studd to be replaced.
Quote:
Old 06-05-2008, 01:56 AM   #19
TSLMember

I cut my chain with a dremel and jammed it up while trying to feed it out.
Had to remove the timing cover to fix my F-up, so then I put in Nick's blocking plate.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:53 AM   #20
SAABeginner

Thanks for the knid words, Some pictures(lots) from Silverstone last Sunday, it was my first event in this championship.
I broke a driveshaft in the warm up(had to strip my road car), only completing 1 lap, in the practice broke the front splitter.
Before the event looking at last years times I set a personal goal of 1min 10, in practice I did a 1:10.780, in the superbattle qualyfying I managed to improve to a 1:9.919, this was a long way of the front running Imprezas and Evos doing 1min1s and 2s.
I was 2nd placed front wheel drive car, just over 2 seconds behing an ex Touring car Honda integra DC5.
It was good fun and hopefully supprised a few people with our unusual Saab,s.....
http://www.timeattack.co.uk/gallery/...bum/index.html
Cheers Wessy

Last edited by Wessy; 06-05-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in