Saab Link Forums banner

Ng 900 nordic race car

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  SAABOOST 
#1 ·
I thought this nordic race car was very interesting as it has a lot of the same exact ideas that I had with my ng900. It has a 2.3 built motor with forged pistons, no balance shafts, water/methonal injection, gt30bb turbo, tubular manifold, nice big ic, enem cams, arp head studs. Very similar to my car except the fully gutted interior with race seats and the nice LSD and gearbox.

Full 25mm rear arb, special springs, evo brakes....

Its a nice set-up for the track...:cool: Check it:

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/Nottingham-Saab-Track-Car

John

#4 ·
ha is nice was looking round it the other day when picking my rebuilt viggen box up. keeps stripping the teeth on third gear and the engine brace to the bulkhead made a hole in the bulkhead! must be a beast lol.

nick makes sure you get them too him before july as i wana see how it performs on them before i make a decision on what springs rates i want.
cheers, neil.

#8 ·
it has a b206 block from an early n/a ng900 these had no balancer shafts from new so stronger and lighter block as far as i know. you have to tap out the feed for the oil squirters though as the n/a didnt need them so they werent fitted. oh and theres no return hole for the turbo in the block either.

#11 ·
as some maybe aware im planning on maybe going bigger with the saab and i been thinking about the balance chain and considering doing awya with it or keeping it. now someone enlighten me but it seems less worry-some to just keep it all in and not mess with it really. could someone please give the pros and cons to keeping it in or taking it out

#14 ·
Pros: Less recipricating mass for the motor to turn. Its like a lightly lightened flywheel. Takes less inertia to get the parts moving with it removed.
The balance chain guides and parts can fail and take the motor out!!! This will not be an issue with chain removed. Don't have to rebuild or spend money and time on that part of the engine anymore.

Cons: If you do not plug the balance chain tensioner hole, 20 buck part from Nick, you could have the balance chain tensioner blow its piston out and you could lose oil pressure.

The second biggest reason to not remove balance chain is the increased amount of vibration, why they are there to begin with, and with the 2.0 motor its not bad at all, but with a 2.3 motor, the vibration at idle is worse.
If vibration at idle bothers you, do not remove the chain! Once moving I can not notice any vibration issues, but they are there with my poly motor mounts and 2.3 motor at idle. Makes my mirrors buzz....

John

#17 ·
Its debatable how much of a difference it makes, but I would not tear the timing cover off just to take the chain out. I have done mine when I was rebuilding the timing chain and guides anyway.

Well, my first one I did it while I had the oil pan off to clean the pick-up screen... Just cut the chain with a dremal and pulled it out through the bottom with vice grips....

John

#16 ·
mine vibrates like mad with no balancer chains, lightened flywheel and lightened crank, then polly engine and gearbox mounts. infact its like a motorbike vibrating bolts undone sometimes! on a 2.0 id take them out but leave them in on a 2.3 unless you are going for lighter forged pistons then things maybe inproved slightly.

#18 ·
Ok, so its on with just deleting the chain. I just had to order a spare dizzy cap blanking plate for the head, and am dropping off a con rod with a snapped and stretched studd to be replaced.

#20 · (Edited)
Thanks for the knid words, Some pictures(lots) from Silverstone last Sunday, it was my first event in this championship.
I broke a driveshaft in the warm up(had to strip my road car), only completing 1 lap, in the practice broke the front splitter.
Before the event looking at last years times I set a personal goal of 1min 10, in practice I did a 1:10.780, in the superbattle qualyfying I managed to improve to a 1:9.919, this was a long way of the front running Imprezas and Evos doing 1min1s and 2s.
I was 2nd placed front wheel drive car, just over 2 seconds behing an ex Touring car Honda integra DC5.
It was good fun and hopefully supprised a few people with our unusual Saab,s.....
http://www.timeattack.co.uk/gallery/TA Round 3 2008 - Silverstone/album/index.html
Cheers Wessy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.