Saab Link Forums banner

DIY: Coolant Fan Switch

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Voodoo 
#1 ·
i had some spare time today so i i put a switch in to turn the fan on the help with heat soak when the car is not moving (sitting a a red light next to a little ricer reving his engine)

ill try to walk you through it step by step the best i can...

first off find the wires from the back of the fan

undo the plugs

cut the white wire (i have a 1999 9-3 it may be another color for you. but it was the one with only one wire in it)

then strip the ends of the wires

run 3 wires from where you want your switch to the engine bay

put one the the + side of the battery

one to each end of the the wire you just cut and stripped

take your switch (it needs to be one that has a common and 2 other points so that when the switch is up the fan is on and when it is down it will work off the tstat.)

mount the switch and test it out.

PICTURES....

Questions? Comments?

See less See more
#4 ·
nothing yet, i havnt had time to really test it out. from what JZW says it helps alot.
i did a search to find out how to do it but i didnt see anything so i made my own.
as im sure you can tell i have a hard time getting what i did down in words.

#5 ·
If that's the connector to the fan it's goign to be drawwing mad amps... In which case I would use a relay to trigger it as opposed to running that positive cable all the way to the switch. Especially with that high of a current.

This way you can wire it with only one wire from the interior to trigger the ground on the relay. And when the switch is off the fan will operate like normal.

#9 ·
It will definetely help some, keeping the airflow up is never a bad thing. In jegs they sell the thermostats and cooling fan set-ups claiming 15-20bhp and when going slow to sitting in traffic to doing a pull, it sure seems to keep the air more on the dense side, or cool side...

I just ran a switch in between the high side relay for the cooling fan, that way I have control over the high side and the low side comes on automatically if I forget, or someone else is driving the car.

The emmissions place almost burnt my motor down, frigin dumbasssessssss...

John

#10 ·
IMHO would simpler to run a ground wire into the relay which controls the fan.
The reley is located in the engine compartment, but the orig cable comes from DICE and runs through a connector located in the cabin (located behind the carpet in the side of the car is when you left foot is)

#13 ·
I have something similar on my BMW. When ppl remove the AC, they relocate the AC condenser fan to the front of the radiator and wire it up with a switch to assist with cooling on hot days (or, as stated, cooldowns after track runs, which a previous owner was going to do with my e21). It's a great simple mod!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.