need some help with making a Downpipe. (pictures needed) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
need some help with making a Downpipe. (pictures needed)

hey guys!

I know I don't post here often;
I always forget to check this site =0/

I need a small favor...
after googling until my eyes bled, I've come to y'all for help

I need a picture of the exhaust-side of a factory
ng900 or 9-3 (94-02) turbocharger.

I'm trying to make a downpipe and I'm trying to keep from having all those akward bends that Saab has there.

Thanks!

Craig R.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2005, 02:05 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
No picture for you but I do have a question. Are you doing the fabrication yourself or are you having someone else do it for you? If someone else is doing your bending and welding are they doing crushed bent or mandrel bent? If you don't mind me asking what is your budget to get it done?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-19-2005, 02:17 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

best i can do man... what do u want these pics for anyway i dont see how they would help in making the dp?

the exit of the turbo is 2.5" and it needs to be flared....so it seals against the turbo

Old 01-19-2005, 02:19 PM   #4

there is really only one major bend dude,.. its the first one... i dont see why u dont just buy one from mp they are cheap enough and are stainless steel
Old 01-19-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
I second the MP idea. Why reinvent the wheel when they have already made a great looking DP for a good price with a race cat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-19-2005, 04:42 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
why?

because I can make a cat'd downpipe for about $150 and it will be the same quality, if not better. his prices are good, but by no means is MP doing us a favor @ $250.

I appreciate the picture, but it's not exactly what I need.

let me see if I can grab a picture of what I need.....

*edit*
I can't

what I need, is a picture of the stock 9-3 turbo
but I need to see the wastegate part.
on the turbo that I can see the wastegate, it looks AWESOME, because it looks like the wastegate is cast into the housing(which means we can do what I *think* we can.

on older t3 style turbos, the wastegate was bolted-on, and could be removed.

if that's the case, it will suck..
Old 01-20-2005, 08:52 AM   #7

Here are some pics, i tried checking with different shops to get a cheaper one done also.........trust me i think your best bet is buying an MP performance one!

I found alot of shops quoted me low but once i got all the pics together and showed them exactly what i wanted the prices started going up!

Anyhow, heres some pics of the TD04!
Old 01-20-2005, 09:00 AM   #8
Elder

I got a second quote last night from a local shop that does alot of custom sport Compact stuff and they wanted $385 for DP and race cat so I don't think that you will get it much cheaper than MP sells it for. My first quote was from a V-8 speed shop and they wanted $400 to do it. If you can jig it and fab it yourself then you may be able to get by alot cheaper but most people don' have that time or skill level.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:08 PM   #9
SAAB Road Master

Image n00bs! Here's the pic he's looking for (ok ok, technically it's a viggen turbo ... same diff):

Old 01-20-2005, 12:16 PM   #10
Elder

HMMMMMMMM Looks strangley like the pictures Dasaabguy posted!! Only bigger!!

Old 01-20-2005, 12:16 PM   #11
ERP
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to ERP
Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt
because I can make a cat'd downpipe for about $150 and it will be the same quality, if not better. his prices are good, but by no means is MP doing us a favor @ $250.

I want to see a full TIG welded, mendrel bent, stainless downpipe for $150
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
Old 01-20-2005, 12:25 PM   #12
Elder

I agree with you Eric!! I tried to find it myself before you guys started offering one and just the mandrel bent tubing is costly enough to buy let alone the welding charges and jigging. Besides that your product is so nice looking!!

Old 01-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERP
Quote:

I want to see a full TIG welded, mendrel bent, stainless downpipe for $150
I almost doubt you could get the materials for that
Old 01-20-2005, 01:02 PM   #14
Elder

how could you say something like that?

the downpipe for my Galant, which included all s/s w/ mandrel bends, 2 flanges and a 2.5" sport catcon(which I un-wisely purchased from the shop, instead of RRE, came to $270

that's me paying labor, and almost $170 for the catcon.

ERP, you run MP?

I can't IMAGINE a catcon costing $150
want me to show you where to get them for ~100?
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/exhaustparts.htm

the 180-degree bend is $30(summitracing.com
I can purchase 3" s/s stock from a local guy for about $5/foot, the flanges I'll probably have to buy, and auto-zone sells o2 sensor bungsfor $4

I'm trying to throw you to the wolves, I understand business.
but given my resources, I can likely have it done cheap...
and without that awful bend.
Although that picture of the turbo is PERFECT... it's not what I was hoping to see.

I was really hoping to be able to use a silvia o2 housing. =0/
looks like I may have to go with the "normal" style.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:27 PM   #15

g96nt i am extremely confused.... cant u just go out to your car and look at it there....

here is a flange for $20
i would also like ot point out that i myself can get a 3" catalytic converter for 50$ so y cant u?....... it is proven that highflow cats and regular cats flow about the same....
one last questionon what bend exactly are u talking about... because i am confused... i dont see any restrictive bend in my pipe
Old 01-20-2005, 02:17 PM   #16
Elder

There is no way your getting 409 stainless for $5 dollars a foot and if you are then you are getting 1 hell of a deal. Gauruntee that its aluminized steel that your getting for $5 a foot or Galvonized both of which are not heat or rust resitant. As for picking up the 90 degree tubes at Summit that is possible but once again you will get Aluminzed Stainless steel and it is a mild grade steel at that and is not designed to stand up to higher exhaust temps.
The warranty on those tubes clearly states that they are not covered if they are installed on "engines equipped with superchargers, turbochargers, or nitrous systems." so your out of luck there. The materials needed to withstand high heat turbo applications cost more...there is no 2 ways about that. I have no stake in MPPerformance but I tell you what for the sake of not having to fabricate it myself and not having to pay the price that companies like ABBOTT Racing charge how can you complain?

Ricot
As for Race cats not flowing greater that stock cats I still would fail to see that as completley true. If you have in essence a hollow cat (IE Race Cat) and anormal cat with baffling in it how cold they flow the same rate? If that were the case then companies like Stillen, MazdaSpeed, Mugen would not even bother putting them on cars that are made high performance from the factory as it would be a waste and they could get by with a $20 Pep Boys special.

Quote:
I'm trying to throw you to the wolves, I understand business.
but given my resources, I can likely have it done cheap...
and without that awful bend.

I apologize if I am offending people here but it just makes me mad when people come out and start to Dis the only company who is activley trying to put out products that work and wont break your wallet like some of the other unnmaed tuners. These guys are taking the time to grow an American basaed Grass Roots business that offers products that they stand behind and build right here in the states rather than import from Europe. Not only that they are taking the time and effort to use their own cars to R&D everything on before they release it so that you have the least amount of issues possible with any part not to mention that they are willing to post Dyno data to back up the stuff they sell!!

Old 01-20-2005, 02:48 PM   #17

hey syeve im with ya and been with ya all along... i m not comparing race cats... because in essence all they are is a couple pieces of sheet metal in the shape of a cat and then hollow inside..... i should know i have one sitting in my garage thanks to ERP

though i was talking about the claimed high flow cats versus a regular 3" cat... they have been testeed to b the same... i think it was even in saabnet

the 3" cat is rated for the flow of a 5.9l engine so i dont think it will choke on my car... and getting an "EASTERN Catalytic Converter" for 50$ shipped sounds good to me...
i will be welding that on to my MP DP Wooohooo
Old 01-20-2005, 02:52 PM   #18
Elder

Hey sorry Ricot I just get a little miffed sometimes. If people think they can build a better mouse trap and do it cheaper then go into business and do the rest of us a favor so we can buy it cheaper!!

Even my piece of crap Pacesetter headers for my old car that were Aluminized Stainless steel "gaurunteed not to rust" (yeah right) cost $150 and those were the cheapos. When I put a turbo on my car and had a shop custom fab the DP I still paid $300 just to get it done (that was with install so it was really $200) but still that was with no cat and a straight pipe not a bend in it.

Old 01-20-2005, 03:05 PM   #19
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehayes01
He asked specifically to see the wastegate. Da-SaabGuy only put pics of the intake as far as I could see. I still don't see another pic of the exhaust side with interior showing the wastegate other than mine. Maybe I'm missing something?

Adrian~
Old 01-20-2005, 03:06 PM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabTuner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehayes01
He asked specifically to see the wastegate. Da-SaabGuy only put pics of the intake as far as I could see. I still don't see another pic of the exhaust side with interior showing the wastegate other than mine. Maybe I'm missing something?

Adrian~
I was just giving you crap Adrian........ Sorry man!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in