installing suspension - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to gregg
installing suspension

Ok, so I have decided on the Koni sport kit from GS. I'm also getting the uprated ARB and inner/outer bushings. I will also be replacing the front upper strut mounts and bearings. Total from GS: $1,236.95.

I am trying to find a shop (or a fellow member) to install everything. I went to my local Saab mechanic (not dealership) and he quoted me 4 hours (@ $80/hr) just to do the front (both sides) shocks/struts. This does not include time for the bushings either. To do the rears he said would be about 1.5-2 hours total. I got quoted by another shop (general, not Saab specific) $300 for the front and $300 for the rear (again, not including doing the bushings).

I really do not want to pay $500+ to have the suspension done and the bushings replaced (on top of the $1,200 I'm paying for parts). Does anyone know of another shop in the central MA or Boston area to recommend? Or are there any fellow members that have all the tools and are willing to help out? Obviously, we can work out some kind of $$ arrangement, but I find it hard to justify spending over $500 to have this done when the suspension on my Volvo only cost $300 to install (front and rear total).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Elder

that is because the saab is the better car so it costs more.

Check with NickTurbo900.. he might be able to help or go to saabworks in milford NH. i would love to help.. but i am lacking tools lifts etc...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to gregg
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
that is because the saab is the better car so it costs more.

Check with NickTurbo900.. he might be able to help or go to saabworks in milford NH. i would love to help.. but i am lacking tools lifts etc...
HAHA, spoken like a true Saab owner um yeah...not so sure about that right now. So far, I can't think of one thing/area where my Saab is better than and/or outperforms the Volvo...especially given that this is 4 years newer.

Thanks for the tip, I will check with him and also with SaabWorks.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

the guy who did mone does it out of his house in Taunton, Ma.
ill ask if he wants to do it again but he picks who he does work for. for my car he put the whole koni kit on for $300. he gets $50 an hour(again thats for me, i have been going to him for 4 years)

make sure who ever does it uses the parts from koni and not the stock parts again, i saw some bad things happen it only a few hundred miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Grand Cherokee Limited 60th ed.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny72888 View Post
make sure who ever does it uses the parts from koni and not the stock parts again, i saw some bad things happen it only a few hundred miles.
x2
i have seen people use the stock parts and then pocket the koni parts to sell later. or just out of lazyness..
Old 05-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #6

if i wasnt lazy i would get up and take a picture of my old strut mounts whck were there when some other shop put my konis on, it pulled them apart to nothing just because the guy at the shop did use the koni part to hold the strut in place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Grand Cherokee Limited 60th ed.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to ViggenStory
damn labor is crazy. my dad is gonna do mine for me. but i feel bad that he has to do all the work. 4 hours for shocks and springs. ill probably buy him dinner after.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:26 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

takes about 20-30mins for rear springs and shocks and just over an hour for front springs and shocks. bushes could take ten mins or for ever if you dont have a press.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:08 AM   #9
SAAB Road Master

Acetylene torch replaces the press requisite for the bushings. Don't forget the back to front alignment and the shims for the rear that you will most likely need.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:16 AM   #10
Elder

Nowhereman, thanks for thinking of me! I appreciate it!

I'm very well equipped to do NG suspension... My goodness I have done it more times than I care to count!!!

Realistically I'm a bit far however... The savings would get eaten into with the trip's costs for gregg to haul up here (Freeport, Me). If you are interested in seeing the coast of maine (I've got a loanah), or if you just want some advice gregg... I'm here, you can PM me and I'll get you my #. I'm always happy to help, been helped to many times myself to be selfish with the knowledge!

Jonny's guy sounds like a solid option, much closer! Obviously 300$ is a great price to have it done correctly and he already has! He is wise to pick who he offers that too

If anyone in Northern New England has some work they need done on the cheap... I'm equipped, I know what I'm doing and I'm a PT student / PT map technician/proofreader for Delorme... doesn't take a genius to see I won't shy from 6 hours of hard work that I love to do! Got to pay for some of these tools !

Crazybrightman... have you done that before? The suspension in the time frame you are talking about? I assume you mean per side... but even then its a bit 'happy' , especially to do the bushings too, which entails more than just the strut/spring R&R... keep in mind those sway bar end links are probably rusty junk too... and don't reuse the ball joint nuts!

cheers guys,
nicholas

Last edited by NickTurbo900; 05-22-2008 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:23 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

yeah done many a time couple probably do the whole lot in just over an hour on a lift if all goes to plan. thing is unless i know bits are good like the droplinks etc i just replace them for the sake of what they cost and they are always a bit worn after many years anyhow. that time didnt include the bushes though bit that probs half an hour a side as obvious all the suspension legs etc will be off.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #12
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

The rear shocks, springs and arb can be done by yourself. Just get back there and check it out as there are minimal tools needed.
I had the front struts/springs, bearings, etc done for 240.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:53 AM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Makeyousaab
feel like driving to danbury I'll do 'em for ya

1999 9-3 Vert. STG = pretty fast
Old 05-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Do it yourself.... its not a hard job.. just a tedious one.

Here is a write up I did for the fronts.

https://saablink.net/forum/showthread...ht=OG9-3+Strut

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in