Saab Link Forums banner

installing suspension

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  stevehayes01 
#1 ·
Ok, so I have decided on the Koni sport kit from GS. I'm also getting the uprated ARB and inner/outer bushings. I will also be replacing the front upper strut mounts and bearings. Total from GS: $1,236.95.

I am trying to find a shop (or a fellow member) to install everything. I went to my local Saab mechanic (not dealership) and he quoted me 4 hours (@ $80/hr) just to do the front (both sides) shocks/struts. This does not include time for the bushings either. To do the rears he said would be about 1.5-2 hours total. I got quoted by another shop (general, not Saab specific) $300 for the front and $300 for the rear (again, not including doing the bushings).

I really do not want to pay $500+ to have the suspension done and the bushings replaced (on top of the $1,200 I'm paying for parts). Does anyone know of another shop in the central MA or Boston area to recommend? Or are there any fellow members that have all the tools and are willing to help out? Obviously, we can work out some kind of $$ arrangement, but I find it hard to justify spending over $500 to have this done when the suspension on my Volvo only cost $300 to install (front and rear total).

#3 ·
HAHA, spoken like a true Saab owner :) um yeah...not so sure about that right now. So far, I can't think of one thing/area where my Saab is better than and/or outperforms the Volvo...especially given that this is 4 years newer.

Thanks for the tip, I will check with him and also with SaabWorks.

#4 ·
the guy who did mone does it out of his house in Taunton, Ma.
ill ask if he wants to do it again but he picks who he does work for. for my car he put the whole koni kit on for $300. he gets $50 an hour(again thats for me, i have been going to him for 4 years)

make sure who ever does it uses the parts from koni and not the stock parts again, i saw some bad things happen it only a few hundred miles.

#6 ·
if i wasnt lazy i would get up and take a picture of my old strut mounts whck were there when some other shop put my konis on, it pulled them apart to nothing just because the guy at the shop did use the koni part to hold the strut in place.

#9 ·
Acetylene torch replaces the press requisite for the bushings. Don't forget the back to front alignment and the shims for the rear that you will most likely need.

#10 · (Edited)
Nowhereman, thanks for thinking of me! I appreciate it!

I'm very well equipped to do NG suspension... My goodness I have done it more times than I care to count!!!

Realistically I'm a bit far however... The savings would get eaten into with the trip's costs for gregg to haul up here (Freeport, Me). If you are interested in seeing the coast of maine (I've got a loanah), or if you just want some advice gregg... I'm here, you can PM me and I'll get you my #. I'm always happy to help, been helped to many times myself to be selfish with the knowledge!

Jonny's guy sounds like a solid option, much closer! Obviously 300$ is a great price to have it done correctly and he already has! He is wise to pick who he offers that too ;)

If anyone in Northern New England has some work they need done on the cheap... I'm equipped, I know what I'm doing and I'm a PT student / PT map technician/proofreader for Delorme... doesn't take a genius to see I won't shy from 6 hours of hard work that I love to do! Got to pay for some of these tools !

Crazybrightman... have you done that before? The suspension in the time frame you are talking about? I assume you mean per side... but even then its a bit 'happy' , especially to do the bushings too, which entails more than just the strut/spring R&R... keep in mind those sway bar end links are probably rusty junk too... and don't reuse the ball joint nuts!

cheers guys,
nicholas

#11 ·
yeah done many a time couple probably do the whole lot in just over an hour on a lift if all goes to plan. thing is unless i know bits are good like the droplinks etc i just replace them for the sake of what they cost and they are always a bit worn after many years anyhow. that time didnt include the bushes though bit that probs half an hour a side as obvious all the suspension legs etc will be off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.