1997 na tranny bolt up to 1995 turbo car? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
JZW
Elder

1997 na tranny bolt up to 1995 turbo car?

I would like to verify a 94-97 na non turbo tranny will bolt right up to my 1995 turbo car, anyone know for sure?

I found a good price on a 100k na tranny and I know they have the 4.05 final drive that will help me drag racing. I have the new clutch coming from Nick, I want to try the na tranny.

Thanks,

John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
I would like to verify a 94-97 na non turbo tranny will bolt right up to my 1995 turbo car, anyone know for sure?

I found a good price on a 100k na tranny and I know they have the 4.05 final drive that will help me drag racing. I have the new clutch coming from Nick, I want to try the na tranny.

Thanks,

John
IIRC they will bolt up. The housings (block/bell) are the same with the turbo/na.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

whats the final drive in a turbo car?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
JZW
Elder

Turbo is 3.82, na is 4.05....

Third gear on ng900 is 1.12/1

Third gear on 9-3 tranny is 1.18/1 and it has the 4.05 final drive.

The only reason I don't do that is because I would have to convert to hydraulic clutch and that is a lot more money and time.

I will try the na tranny with same third gear, but better final drive...

John
Old 05-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks900SE View Post
IIRC they will bolt up. The housings (block/bell) are the same with the turbo/na.
I was pretty sure, I just ordered one with 105k, grade A part. My thinking is a na car one will not have been abused as much and with the better final drive, it might hold up a little longer.

This last one I bought had 150k and its ok, but when my clutch started slipping in second, I started having trouble getting it to go into third. At the end of the night and 4 runs, I could not get it to go into third without double clutching the car... Ran a 14.5 at 116mph

When I shift it slow and normal, it goes right in.... I am thinking the snchro is shot, so with new clutch, new tranny will get installed and beaten up at the track.... Come on 12's.....

John
Old 05-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
Turbo is 3.82, na is 4.05....

Third gear on ng900 is 1.12/1

Third gear on 9-3 tranny is 1.18/1 and it has the 4.05 final drive.

The only reason I don't do that is because I would have to convert to hydraulic clutch and that is a lot more money and time.

I will try the na tranny with same third gear, but better final drive...

John
on which year 9-3 has the 4.05 final drive? i thought that the ng900 and og93 had the same tranny.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
JZW
Elder

From 99 on I think, at least from 99-03 maybe longer...

The ng 900 can run the 9-3 tranny, it bolts right up, just need the rear bracket for the motor mount and its a different mount, then its the hydraulic clutch vs cable...

All of the 9-3's had the 4.05 final drive. The v6 had a 4.45 final drive, but it does not bolt right up.

The viggen was also 4.05 final drive. The Later 9k's were also the same as the ng900 with a 3.82 final drive and the 1.12/1 third gear. The new quiafe 6 speed gear set will fit in the ng900, 94-98 9000 and 9-3....

John
Old 05-16-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
Elder

John, late to the party but you will have no problem with that trans on your car. I've got a spare of each and they are identical externally.

JZW is correct on all counts re the 9-3 trannies!
Old 05-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to jdinneen
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
John, late to the party but you will have no problem with that trans on your car. I've got a spare of each
hahaha Nick are you just stocking up on transmissions waiting for me to come crawling back to you for another?
Old 05-16-2008, 03:01 PM   #10

One thing to consider is whether or not the NA tranny was built with the same stoutness as the turbo tranny, since the NA produces a lot less torque and HP it may have been a prime cost cutting candidate for Saab/GM. Guess you'll find out on the first launch

x-VWer:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
JZW
Elder

I asked about that and from I can tell, they are the same exact gears inside and the only difference is the final drive. My thinking was that the na car will have put much less stress and load on the tranny and I have never had one below 130k, so a nice 100k or even a 47k one I just found might be awesome.

I would like to do the 9-3 tranny, but then I need the rear bracket and mount and then need to convert to hydraulic... At the rate I am going through them, might just stick with a simple cable version, bolt up and go for 550.00

John
Old 05-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I asked Jak about doing this last year and he suggested not to. I want to anyway, and have the final drive to go into my tranny rebuild with the Quaife I'm getting.

You'll need a reflash of the ECU as well judging by what Nick said.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
The only real difference in quality between the turbo and na trans is the clutch.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll_speed View Post

I'm having a hard time getting my head around this one... The RPM speed signal is off the trans on a 9k... but not on a NG.

Why? How would the car know what trans it had? It's just gearing!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:03 PM   #15
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll_speed View Post
I asked Jak about doing this last year and he suggested not to. I want to anyway, and have the final drive to go into my tranny rebuild with the Quaife I'm getting.

I don't know if Jak has ever tried it, but there are quite a few people that have run them on the drag strip. I personally don't think you will notice much of a difference in the ecu, it just spool-up a hair earlier and that is what I need for my big turbo.

I know a couple of guys that went to the 9-3 tranny and the sw worked just fine.

I cancelled the na order, I might just have to go the 9-3 tranny route, I need as much better gearing as I can get and combining the 1.18/1 third gear and the 4.05 final drive is the best bet. I will just source the pedal and clutch cylinder from a junk yard and then make my own hydraulic conversion.

I have always wanted to do it and I think now is the time... I found one 550 with 31k and one 2005 for 700 and one 99 for 550 with 47k.

Not sure if the 2005 93 tranny would bolt right up, seems like there might been some changes by then. Anyone know?

John

Last edited by JZW; 05-16-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Exactly, no need to reflash the ecu just because you go to a different trans. Now if you wanted a custom tune to map power to match the gearing then yeah you would need a tune. If JZW finds he needs the tune reworked because the change of gearing makes it needed the I'm sure JZW and Jak will work on a good tune for it.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
I think i need a custom tune for my 9-3 trans in my ng because it has a totally different gear ratio.

^CLICK ME^
Old 05-16-2008, 08:09 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewz airflow se View Post
I think i need a custom tune for my 9-3 trans in my ng because it has a totally different gear ratio.
You can do it if you want but you don't really need to. If you feel that its made that much of a negative impact just ask for a reflash for a 99 og9-3 file.

However it wouldn't suprise me if the 99 og9-3 file (for the t5 cars) is the exact same file as the ng900 file.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
You can do it if you want but you don't really need to. If you feel that its made that much of a negative impact just ask for a reflash for a 99 og9-3 file.

However it wouldn't suprise me if the 99 og9-3 file (for the t5 cars) is the exact same file as the ng900 file.
well i have a obd1 car so could they even do that.

^CLICK ME^
Old 05-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #20
Elder

Not like it wouldn't be hard to apply the boost, fuel, and ignition map over to an OBD I ecu. However I wouldn't be that worried about it really.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in