Trouble installing a MBC in a 2000 9-3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Unhappy Trouble installing a SMBC in a 2000 9-3

Well after reading around on every SAAB forum I could find for a month or so, I decided to pop down the minimal amount of cash for a SMBC. I got the part yesterday and installed and tuned it, and it seems to work great. That's not my issue. My problem is that when I tried to remove the lower hose from the pressure control valve, the nipple just popped off!

I have three options, one of which i'm pursuing right now. They are to glue the broken piece back on using 2-part plastic weld epoxy, which is curing right now. To grind down/ cut away some of the structural plastic in between the nipples, which I will try if the epoxy doesnt work, though i'm afraid the small hole at the end of the nipple affects the way the valve works, and if I grind the plastic away and end up with a larger hole, there will be adverse effects. Of course the third option is to purchase an entirely new valve from someone. I've called around and I've heard prices ranging from $90 to $60 new, or $50 from a junkyard in North Hollywood, more than 100 miles from me.

So here's my question: Does anyone know if the small hole at the end of the nipple affects performance?

And a follow up question: Does anyone have a spare PCV that they would sell to me cheap?

Thanks for your time!

Mike

Last edited by mikefromearth; 05-15-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Elder

go buy it from a junkyard. the plastic weld, sanding etc.. none will be worth the hassle. no extra parts here. sorry.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
SAABeginner

But is there any reason it wont be worth the hassle? It really wouldnt be that hard to modify the part a little bit..

Old 05-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
c900 Grognard
Elder

You can get a fresh genuine saab PCV nipple for $1.89 from eeuro. $1.89.

http://www.eeuroparts.com/productdet...ts=1&code=6310

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Do you have a T5 or T7?
Old 05-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
SAABeginner

That's a PVC nipple, not a PCV nipple!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:05 PM   #7
SAABeginner

It's a T7.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
T7 can't use a MBC... only SMBC.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
SAABeginner

Pardon my mistake. I meant SMBC.

And I ended up filing down the plastic reinforcement a bit to fit the vacuum tube on the nipple. After taking the car for a test drive, it seems to work just fine. Eventually I'll have to replace the pressure control valve, but not today.

Last edited by mikefromearth; 05-15-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

ok i know what an mbc but what on earth is an smbc? anyform of mbc is really not worthwhile on t7 your just fighting the ecu and it will adapt back all the time. t7 works on air mass so upping the boost will just cause it to close the electronic throttle and no doubt throw up the cel.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #11
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

SMBC does not up the boost, it only helps with spool up in first (lile it's needed), second and a tad in third. You are right, turn it in to much and it will throw a cel.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #12
SAABeginner

actually it does up the max boost by tricking the t7 into thinking its not boosting as much as it is, so it ups the boost to compensate. And yes, I can tell the difference in all gears. Even squeeling the tires in 2nd year rolling on @ 3k rpm.

Im running 195s right now.. I need wider tires! (and some suspension mods!)

Last edited by mikefromearth; 05-15-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromearth View Post
actually it does up the max boost by tricking the t7 into thinking its not boosting as much as it is, so it ups the boost to compensate. And yes, I can tell the difference in all gears. Even squeeling the tires in 2nd year rolling on @ 3k rpm.

Im running 195s right now.. I need wider tires! (and some suspension mods!)
Nope just changes the rate at which it reaches max boost as programmed by the ECU. There is a MAP sensor on the manifold that in correlation with the IAT, like in the T5 system, verifies the mass of air to make any last second fueling correction to changes in the density of the charge air after going through the intercooler. So in the end your still ending back at stock boost levels, just hitting the max quicker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:06 AM   #14
SAABeginner

After reading so many people say different things, I guess I was suckered into believing the one I wanted to believe!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Yeah, T7 is picky with the gains with only hardware mods. This is due to the amount of sensors it gathers data from. While there are items like the SMBC which will build boost faster, but not add hp (it will still feel faster), things like a DP and exhaust will do that too. You will only notice real gains once you match an ECU with your hardware mods to open up the advantage the upgrades actually do. Due to this, and the price of an ECU tune, most people get a sensable amount of hardware done before getting the ECU to minimize the amount of re-tunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in