Koni Sport Kit, or other suspension setup? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Koni Sport Kit, or other suspension setup?

so im thinking about going with the Koni Sport Kit here in a few weeks... Just wondering a few things... Does anyone have pictures with the kit installed on a non- viggen 9-3? (or wannabe viggen for that matter.. haha)

also- what are thoughts on this kit? it appeals to me b/c its all koni- therefore i'd expect it to be pretty well matched spring/damper wise... the GS coilovers sound awesome but for a daily driver they are just overkill.

at 760ish the koni sport kit seems like a steal to me... but maybe there is another better solution out there- just lookin for some feedback...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 05:18 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
I have Koni springs and Koni adjustable struts up front and the ride is way better than the stock suspension.

This is with just the fronts done... the rear was still stock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-14-2008, 06:34 AM   #3

I put Eibach springs, with Koni adjustables on my car....love the ride - I have the firmness set at about "medium"

Old 05-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

i personaly hate the koni springs had them fitted two hours removed them and fitted h&r's much better ride and handling and much safer, they didnt just give you understeer hell. that was with koni adjustables i have the set quite stiff and ride is still fine if a bit soft so im looking for some stiffer springs now. the best springs i had by a mile were abbott racing ones the handling and ride was spot on and sharpened the steering responce up no end. i changed these as they didnt lower my viggen any more than 5-10mm though would be more like 20-25mm or more on a normal 9-3. im not totaly convinced by the koni shocks either i may go billies and give them a try.

Last edited by crazybrightman; 05-14-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrightman View Post
i personaly hate the koni springs had them fitted two hours removed them and fitted h&r's much better ride and handling and much safer, they didnt just give you understeer hell. that was with koni adjustables i have the set quite stiff and ride is still fine if a bit soft so im looking for some stiffer springs now. the best springs i had by a mile were abbott racing ones the handling and ride was spot on and sharpened the steering responce up no end. i changed these as they didnt lower my viggen any more than 5-10mm though would be more like 20-25mm or more on a normal 9-3. im not totaly convinced by the koni shocks either i may go billies and give them a try.
Wow suprised by your experience with the Koni's... I track my car and have never had an issue with the Koni's on the track at all. I have a mix of struts on my car with Koni adjustables in the front and Monroe HD shocks in the rear slated for a vert and the ride is really good and can be very stiff if I set the Koni's up.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

the problem is koni springs are very cheap and vary alot from batch to batch, i had a very bad set others arnt so bad but even if you get a good set they arnt the best but i spose you get what you pay for really. as for the actual shock they go stiff dont get me wrong but your only adjust the rebound the bound is a little soft for my liking.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
Elder

These are with the Voigtland Springs only. i find those with the stock struts give great handling and very nice ride for daily driving. Lowers the car the perfect amount in my opinion. Love em. and at $200? for the set couldn't complain.

ignore the canoe. lol
Old 05-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Elder

I'll throw my hat into the ring and say I can't wait to get my Viggen Springs with Bilsteins on the new NG.

Nowhereman's car looks great, and in person looks better, but honestly its too low for a DD for where I live. There is a really bad road I have to drive at least twice a day and while I love the look... I don't have a skidpan and wouldn't want to risk it.

The Viggen springs are 3/4" drop over the stock 9-3SE Suspension. Compare that with a 1.5" with most aftermarkets. I'm hoping the stiffer coil will compensate some for the 3/4" drop on the NG. I'm waiting on a warranty replacement for a Bilstein, great service no questions asked... I blew it on a bad pothole in Montreal a few years ago, something to be said for that too.

I had the Koni's on my old 99 9-3 and they were nice, but I couldn't really bothered to adjust them all that often... I just drove on halfway... may as well get the bilsteins...

Oh and I always cheap out and put 34$ KYB's on the back

Old 05-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
Nowhereman's car looks great, and in person looks better, but honestly its too low for a DD for where I live.
Too Low... Bah... no such thing. lol.. you should see the driveway i drive into everyday and the Speed Humps i have at work. lol.. the car clears them fine.

Sure there are some bad roads though and without skid plates yeah wouldn't be very fun on dirt or any serious pot holes.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Too Low... Bah... no such thing. lol.. you should see the driveway i drive into everyday and the Speed Humps i have at work. lol.. the car clears them fine.

Sure there are some bad roads though and without skid plates yeah wouldn't be very fun on dirt or any serious pot holes.
Having seen firsthand how carefully you have to drive with a car that low I can confidently say Viggen springs will be as low as I can go.

There has to be some balance between Track or Show vs DD.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
Having seen firsthand how carefully you have to drive with a car that low I can confidently say Viggen springs will be as low as I can go.

There has to be some balance between Track or Show vs DD.
lol.. yeah i am pretty cautious. i love it though. My DD Route is no biggie. there are however a couple of nutty low cars at work that can't make it up the parking garage ramps without scraping.

but enough of this i think we may be threadjacking.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #12

before

after

koni springs w/ yellow shocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in